2wd to 4wd,..

Ok who has done this? Want to make sure all my bases are covered,.. the 89 Manche is a 2wd 4.0 Peugeot , I have a 4wd Peugeot of unknown condition so I am considering making one of 2,.. Now that being said I found a 99 Cherokee sport in the PYP and thought about using that one,. So what obstacles will I run into in either situation,..

Thanks in advance!

-J

I wouldn't bother with the Peugeots. sell them for scrap and put that towards an AX-15. :thumbsup: The Peugeot is notoriously hard to work on with no guarantee of success afterward.

Thats why I was thinking the 99 tranny and t-case but what hoops will I have to jump through

If the donor rig is a manual...you will need the flywheel, clutch, and then the tranny/t-case and driveshafts from the donor.

If it is an auto...you will need the flexplate, tranny, t-case, and driveshafts.

Of course the shifter/linkage will be needed in either case.

If the donor is an auto...you will need an ECU from an auto the same year (or year range) as yours as well as the TCU for the tranny. It will be harder to swap BUT I have friend who did so successfully about 3 years ago. I helped some so I know first hand it works.

If the donor rig is a manual...you will need the flywheel, clutch, and then the tranny/t-case and driveshafts from the donor.

If it is an auto...you will need the flexplate, tranny, t-case, and driveshafts.

Of course the shifter/linkage will be needed in either case.

If the donor is an auto...you will need an ECU from an auto the same year (or year range) as yours as well as the TCU for the tranny. It will be harder to swap BUT I have friend who did so successfully about 3 years ago. I helped some so I know first hand it works.

The potential donor is a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5spd (4Wd, 2Dr) , the recipient is a 89 MJ 4.0 5spd (2wd). So if I understand flywheel to driveshafts and all parts in between are required. :thumbsup:

If you put the 99 flywheel in your 89, your truck will no longer start.

Your current flywheel will be just fine. Pukey used the same flywheel as the AX-15. In 91, the CPS windows were changed for the newer electronics. A Renix WILL NOT START with a HO flywheel and vice versa.

The bushing you need to get a newer era AX-15 behind an 87-91 4.0 (yes I know renix is 87-90, but the pilot bearing sizes were not changed until 92) is from a 74 CJ with a 304, not a 4.2.

If you put the 99 flywheel in your 89, your truck will no longer start.

Your current flywheel will be just fine. Pukey used the same flywheel as the AX-15. In 91, the CPS windows were changed for the newer electronics. A Renix WILL NOT START with a HO flywheel and vice versa.

Fweeew I was looking at that and thinking WTF ,.. I was confusidid,.. LOL I figured the flywheel had to stay the same,...

Yup, just leave your flywheel where it's at. Pukey and AX-15 used the same fly and clutch.

You'll need to figure out something for the clutch hydraulics, 99 AX-15 will be external slave, and uses a plastic clutch line.

So where in the clutch assembly do I start scavenging parts?

Is the crank sensor mounted in the same place on the bellhousing for a renix and the HO?

Yes. But the sensor itself is different between the two, and the teeth on the flywheel that the sensor picks up are different. Renix flywheel needs to stay with a Renix CPS in a Renix controlled vehicle, and HO flywheel needs to stay with a HO CPS in an HO Controlled vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...