PowerTrax No slip In Dana 30 Opinions Experience

I'm looking to put the powertrax no slip by richmond in the front of the comanche. I've eliminated the vacuum system with a posi-loc cable system.

I have a richmond lock right in the rear 44 already.

My quetions:

1. Will the no slip lock when in 4x4 with CAD disconnected and run in 3x4 for turning or will it disengage to 2x4?

2. Is the No-slip behavior on icy roads still controlable to use as a daily driver?

3. Did the no-slip effect your turn radius when wheeling?

4. would you buy another?

I've had a No-Slip in my D30 for about 6 years now. I haven't had any problems with it. I did have to change the springs once.

I don't lose any turning radius when in 4WD. I don't drive a lot on icy roads. But the few times that I have, I didn't notice any abnormal behavior.

While I would definitely recommend the No-Slip to others, I personally wouldn't buy another one. When my No-Slip finally gives it up, I'll probably get a Detroit.

While I would definitely recommend the No-Slip to others, I personally wouldn't buy another one. When my No-Slip finally gives it up, I'll probably get a Detroit.

pros cons for one vs other? Are you able to maintain the CAD with the detroit or do you have to eliminate it? I've heard and read you have to eliminate the cad and i didnt want to drive with the both hubs locked all the time.

i didnt want to drive with the both hubs locked all the time.

why not? every Jeep made since the early 90s comes that way. The CAD was a mistake. It offer neither mpgs nor less wear-n-tear in any relevant or measurable way. Dump it, get some late model shafts with the bigger 297 joints and be happily on your way. comanche.gif

I have a Spartan in the front of my MJ. I'm gonna jump outta line here and say that having the CAD could provide another option when wheeling. If i understand correctly with the locker installed and the CAD engaged You have both front tires getting power, now say you were to bypass the CAD with a cable? Wouldent that allow you to choose between power to both front tires or just 1? There for if your worried about icy roads or decreased you would have the option to run in standared 4x4 or acctually engage the locker.

Idk just a thought ;)

I have a Spartan in the front of my MJ. I'm gonna jump outta line here and say that having the CAD could provide another option when wheeling. If i understand correctly with the locker installed and the CAD engaged You have both front tires getting power, now say you were to bypass the CAD with a cable? Wouldent that allow you to choose between power to both front tires or just 1? There for if your worried about icy roads or decreased you would have the option to run in standared 4x4 or acctually engage the locker.

Idk just a thought ;)

This would be one of my questions. with the CAD could i technically run in 3x4 for control issues or does the no-slip need a bias like a typical LSD to lock?

Also i think most newer jeeps have a limited slip like tranny hence the 4x4 full time vs part time. I don't want to replace my transfercase. CAD also allows me to have 2x4 low.

I'm a weekender or maybe monthly wheeler. My Comanche is used as a daily driver. I'm wanting to get the best on/off road situation.

Your t case is no different then the newer ones.

The only XJ with full time had the 242 t case,they all came without the CAD regardless of year because if the CAD went out it would hurt the t case.

All other MJ/XJ cases could care less what axle you have,you won't hurt them.

So I wouldn't worry about the t case.

Your problem is gonna be that you want to put a locker in an axle with weak 2 piece axles and tiny 260 u joints,the locker is gonna add a lot of stress to already weak components.

If you lock the cad you can put in one piece shafts and use much stronger u joints,if your worried about control on snow and ice buy a selectable locker.

driving while powering only a single front wheel is NOT recommended for street driving. been there, done that, hated it (got a minispool in my front dana 44). Torque steer was constantly trying to turn my truck left with power on, and right when I let up on the gas (was powering the left tire). I gave up on it and drove the rest of the way in 2wd.

individual results may vary. my truck was trying to kill me. :ack:

also, does this particular locker like it when it has power coming in or out of only one side? there's a chance that would eat it alive.

I ran a lockright in the front of my TJ (when I had it) in the D-30 and a spool in the D-44 rear.

Steered, turned, drove, handled just fine.

I new the lockright was there...but it NEVER gave me any type of issue on or offroad.

If you say you can't or couldn't turn with a no slip in the front...the detroit will be just as bad...BUT it sounds like you may have some other issue with your front end.

I'm running an Eaton in the front a spool in the rear both d44 i considered a spool in the front but was turned off by the idea after talking to the members here, and other wheelers, the payoff doesn't offest the downfalls hope this helps... B...