My BIG undertaking

ok so here's the deal, i want to make a long arm kit...well not really a kit but i want the RAD to have long arms under it, how hard would it be to make a set? any one done it? is it a be-otch? my friend dan (who is pretty good with this whole off roading gig) wants to do a lower 40 on his wrangler (4 inch lift and 40's) and he also wants to build his own long arms, they would be made out of aluminum (thick aluminum) and will be going to MOAB Utah for the easter safari any help would be AWESOME

Kaleb

Oh and "lower forty" was no lift and 40's.

Thats not completely true. "car's center of gravity as close to stock as possible" source:http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10534

sorry for the hijack.gif

Brandon

Oh and "lower forty" was no lift and 40's.

Thats not completely true. "car's center of gravity as close to stock as possible" source:http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10534

sorry for the hijack.gif

Brandon

That doesn't mean it was lifted,the tires alone would have changed the CG

ok so here's the deal, i want to make a long arm kit...well not really a kit but i want the RAD to have long arms under it, how hard would it be to make a set? any one done it? is it a be-otch? my friend dan (who is pretty good with this whole off roading gig) wants to do a lower 40 on his wrangler (4 inch lift and 40's) and he also wants to build his own long arms, they would be made out of aluminum (thick aluminum) and will be going to MOAB Utah for the easter safari any help would be AWESOME

Kaleb

The term long arm is very vague,there's a half dozen different types of suspensions that fall under the term long arm.

Can't really answer your question without knowing what your planning to make.

As for aluminum,those would have to be some huge arms to have the strength needed,they would probably cost more to build then an off the shelf LA kit. Have you ever seen a LA kit up close ? Even out of steel the arms are built pretty stout to handle the abuse.

i was asking for tips on how to do this not for someone to do it for me, how am i supposed to further my mechanical experience without trying things that are difficult? NEVER tell me i'm not qualified.

but in other words i ment long arms as in there is no longer upper control arms they become part of the lowers and the lowers are moved back to the cross member.

That's a Y-link radius arm,they wouldn't be that hard to make. Only thing is of all types of long arms they are the worst performing.

If I were going through the trouble to build arms I would do some sort of 3 or 4 link set up

Kaleb

Long arms arn't terribly hard to build just measure 3 times and cut and weld once.

O Calebs with "C's" are better

-Caleb

NEVER tell me i'm not qualified.

What about for brain surgery or piloting a Harrier or traslating French to Chinese? Would you be upset if I assumed you weren't qualified to any of those things?

Just like brain surgery, building a set of long-arms is possible, you just want to make sure you know what your doing before you start cutting. Based on what you've posted you aren't quite there yet. Go and do some research like I suggested.

What did you expect from your post anyway, "ok so here's the deal, i want to make a long arm kit...well not really a kit but i want the RAD to have long arms under it, how hard would it be to make a set?". How hard is it? Is it a be-otch? You must be like 16.

Kaleb

I don't know if this will help but i built my rear links, i 3 linked it in my driveway in one afternoon, i bought the ends at rusty's, then the DOM at my local piping dealer, note I bought the inserts for the pipe so all i had to do was press the ends into the cut pipe and weld it, and again measure twice, cut once, B...

NEVER tell me i'm not qualified.

What about for brain surgery or piloting a Harrier or traslating French to Chinese? Would you be upset if I assumed you weren't qualified to any of those things?

THNPmhBl-8I

wow if i knew some jack @$$ was going to jump all over my back i never would have put this thread up and no i'm not 16 so @#$% you

The best thing to do with comments from Darren is ignore them. He is not a prime example of the members of this board.

I can't help you with your question, but you never learn anything if you don't ask. People tend to get a little harsh with suspension questions if you don't already know what you're doing, because of the safety involved.

wow if i knew some jack @$$ was going to jump all over my back i never would have put this thread up and no i'm not 16 so @#$% you

It's a public innerwebz forum,

rule #1 = don't take anything personal.

If by some chance someone does pi$$ you off,

the last thing you want to do is let them know it.

That's all, carry on. ;)

You had to expect a little crap,you only have a few post so nobody knows you or what your skill level is. You are new and although your not 16, from reading your other posts and pics you have to be young which was Darrens point.

I'm sure you can imagine how many kids come on here asking basically the same thing you are.

Your post was vague and you come across like you have little experience with long arms or suspension design. If you posted like you had done your homework you might have got a different reaction.