Where is this freakin" leakin' !!! ????

Just added a 92 Cherokee to my lineup (got it last week) and now with all this rain I went out for the first time in almost a week and the floor boards are 3 inches deep in rain water ! WTF !

Where is the leak ??? Bad windshield install or what ??? HELP !!!!!

Dave :mad:

I gave up chasing leaks inside the jeep - I removed the carpet and use a rattle can bedliner type paint and painted the interior floor, got some huskyliners floor mats and put towels under them - now every time it rains I just remove the towels, dry the inside floor and just live with it...after a while you get use to it. If you do remove the carpet cut the floor area only - leave the carpet around the transmission hump, you will never know the difference.

I've found the most common is around the windshield, It comes in around the bottom corners and then behind the dash to the floor. Anyplace there is a seal is a possible source. The baby powder trick works very well.

This is pretty much what I am suspecting to be the problem . It looks as if the windshield is brand new and after lifting the carpet there doesn't appear to be any earlier evidence of wetness , I.E. there is no rust that can be seen . I'm thinkin' that this is the first time this floor has ever gotten wet . Looking at the bottom corners of the windshield , I suspect this area is the culprit .

Thanks all , Dave

I pulled the wipers and the cowl plate to see if maybe that was filling with water and dumping into the cab somehow but that trough is dry . I can't see where that drains . Any ideas ?

I'm still thinkin' that it's windshield . :wall:

I've had my old XJ completely cut apart when i was going to make it into a buggy. The cowl area drains into two little holes one on each side that drain inside the wheel well area. The most common points for the XJ leaks are the windshield and the luggage rack bolts. When I had mine I got a tube of black roofing sealant and pulled off all the metal trim around the windshield as it's only clipped into place then filled the gap under it with the sealant. Put the metal strips back on and the windshield was taken care of. To do the luggage rack get some clear silicone and loosen the bolts so they're almost completely out and squeeze a little under the rack around the front 2 bolts on each side.

Thanks for that info Dave . I'd have to say that mine is leaking a the bottom corners of the windshield . There is nothing wet above the dashboard . It looks like the glass is sitting low at the bottom corners since there is quite a bit of space between the glass and the chrome trim . I'm thinkin' there's a lack of mastic there and that is why the corners are sitting so low especially on the right side which had much more water in it than the left side . After sitting in the driveway all week not being driven , I went out and there was literally 3 inches of water sitting in the passenger side floor . I could have had fish swimming around in there . :doh:

my 86 had a leak up at the top of the windshield. the water was draining down inside the A pillar and dumping out onto the floor by the door. If hadn't had the A pillar trim removed, I might never have found that leak. :ack:

The trim's the easy part it just snaps into place on snaps that are around the windshield. Once you get one piece up it pops itself up the rest of the way. When I was chopping my old 92 up and pulling the windshield the black adhesive from about the middlepoint over to the passenger corner wasn't attached to the window at all. It looked as if when it was put in the adhesive is started in that corner, taken along the bottom and then around the rest of the windshield and by the time the glass is laid in place the beginning of it has already cured and does not seal correctly.

I've found the most common is around the windshield, It comes in around the bottom corners and then behind the dash to the floor. Anyplace there is a seal is a possible source. The baby powder trick works very well.

This is pretty much what I am suspecting to be the problem . It looks as if the windshield is brand new and after lifting the carpet there doesn't appear to be any earlier evidence of wetness , I.E. there is no rust that can be seen . I'm thinkin' that this is the first time this floor has ever gotten wet . Looking at the bottom corners of the windshield , I suspect this area is the culprit .

Thanks all , Dave

I pulled the wipers and the cowl plate to see if maybe that was filling with water and dumping into the cab somehow but that trough is dry . I can't see where that drains . Any ideas ?

I'm still thinkin' that it's windshield . :wall:

i had a leak under the cowl plate -the drains where clogged and resealed the air intake with rtv with weather stripe -if you do have leak no more how big/small look under the carpet for rust ......

I found that one of the bad leaks came from, believe it or not the hole in which my emergency brake cable leaves the back of the cab. When I changed out the cable I didn't slide the extra piece of rubber which is around the cable into the hole because it didn't fit, big mistake. I also took it too a windshield shop and they removed the trim, sprayed foaming window cleaner around the edge then took an air compressor and ran air around the inside of the windshield to see if air was escaping, thus a leak. Wish I figured that one out myself. Try it, be careful, they broke my trim clips.