What mirrors are you running

I want to take the mirrors that bolt to the sheetmetal off and install standard XJ mirrors that adjust from the outside. Thoughts? How about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-94-JE ... 2971wt_995

If you're going to upgrade, might as well go for the newer style XJ mirrors. I got a pair off ebay for cheaper than that listing (they're actually for sale now if you want them - shameless plug). Othewise I'd try your local pull a part or junk yard. Those seem like a lot of coin for mirrors.

X2,

get the new style (97+) XJ mirrors.

Very slight 5 minute 'mod' with a razor knife to get them to fit against the older style door trim, but well worth the effort.

New mirrors are bigger, and have a better designed folding mechanism than the old style.

Plus they look better/cleaner. :chillin:

another vote for the 97+. during the dreaded c4c debacle :fs1: I picked up a set of power heated mirrors for my truck, why you ask? why not. I wired up the doors but have not connected them past going through the door boot. but they look 100 times better.

My trucks not getting any 97+ body parts because that would make it something it is not, a 97+. So do the older mirrors just screw in and do the plastic triangles pry off?

Yes, the triangles come off revealing the stuff to mount the other mirror.

I can't remember for sure how they come off but I don't think they pry off. Seemed it hat screws or something but I'm drawing a blank.

My trucks not getting any 97+ body parts because that would make it something it is not, a 97+. So do the older mirrors just screw in and do the plastic triangles pry off?

I think the new stuff cleaned up the lines a little, without taking over the whole look.

(pics before I changed the stock mangled ft bumper)

But yeah, either type of mirror will bolt to the door with all the donor hardware.

If you get old style, make sure all the tabs on the inner plastic mounting bracket are intact, or it will pop off (unhinge, to prevent damage) too easily.

Once you see how it's mounted, you'll understand what tabs I mean (the plastic gets brittle with age).

They use springs to hold the mirror to the inner bracket, make sure those aren't rotted either (or the mirror will actually fall right off the Jeep when it disconnects from the inner plastic bracket).

It might just be a corrosion/New England thing, but the ends of the retainer springs rot off all the time around here,

tho it does make for easy mirror removal when 4-wheeling ;)

Yes, the triangles come off revealing the stuff to mount the other mirror.

I can't remember for sure how they come off but I don't think they pry off. Seemed it hat screws or something but I'm drawing a blank.

I think it pops on, but is held in place by one screw that is under the door panel. I'm taking my door panels off tomorrow, so I'll post up if that's not right.

Wellllll you guys sorta have me sold on the 97+ mirrors! Here I was thinking I would keep it all AMC looking. I guess Chrysler had a good idea or two :D

Plus the 97+ mirrors are bigger and I could use that when the bed is loaded up high. Hopefully I find some fully manual, exterior-adjust mirrors at the junkyard tomorrow.

I run the 97+ on mine. I think they look clean and good. When looking for pre-97 in the junkyards, 99% of them were broken in one place or another, and post 97s just don't exist in the yards around here. I ended up ordering my mirrors from junkyards on car-part.com and paying about $40 shipped for each one. If you remove the interior door panel, you'll see a phillips head screw IIRC that holds the triangle piece in place. If you have to buy bolts to put your mirrors on, get allen-head bolts. If you get hex-head bolts, there isn't enough room for the socket to fit over the bolt head on one of the three.

Well you guys sold me on 97+ mirrors. I just bought two reproduction manual mirrors to install. The real question is whether I have to install the interior adjusters or just adjust them from the outside. Would manual interior adjusters from a 91-96 work on 97+ manual mirrors?