How bout an XJ

88pioneer

Since my recent KJ thread was getting quite lengthy I figured I would start a new one. All a long I knew I wanted an XJ, but just had to get it in my head. I do know a fair amount of info on these, but the one question I had was with the head on the motor. I've heard its the '00 an '01's that have the cracking head problems, but though I heard something about the 99's also. I found a 99 I'm interested in and just want to double check. I'm sure someone can enlighten me.

:cheers:

Head was changed mid year. Look on the head, manifold side, on the top between (IIRC) the #3 and 4 intake ports should be the casting stamp. Early 99s had the 0630, later ones got the cracking 0331.

My 99 has a build date of 8-98 and has the 0630.

even then the 0331 head is fine as long as its not abused. The people who seem to have the problems are the ones that get chronically overheated, even then it takes a lot, its not like one really bad overheat is gonna kill it.

Honestly I think people overstate the 0331 head issue. I would not let it be the determining factor between buying two vehicles, other things - like if it has a CD player, are more important.

even then the 0331 head is fine as long as its not abused. The people who seem to have the problems are the ones that get chronically overheated, even then it takes a lot, its not like one really bad overheat is gonna kill it.

Honestly I think people overstate the 0331 head issue. I would not let it be the determining factor between buying two vehicles, other things - like if it has a CD player, are more important.

I agree 100%. The 0331 head may be weaker but its a non issue in my opinion.

Also 99 was the first year for the low-pinion 30. But I have seen HP 99s so be sure and check.

nah 2000 was the first year for the LP30s. I have never seen or heard of a titled 99 with a LP30. I have a 2000 XJ with around 145k and never had a problem with the engine. Would not scare me a bit to buy another 00 or 01.

I traded a 99.5 Jetta with 107k miles for a 2001 XJ with 206k miles about 5 months ago. Right now its got 209k and the only thing that's wrong with it is one injector is a little funny. I don't think I would worry about a 0331 head that much. If you like it buy it, if you don't then don't. I just got a Jeep bug from somewhere. Stupid Comanche jeez. Oh well. I would rather change a head on a Jeep as apposed to a transmission on a Jetta.

Ya, I know its easy, but I'd rather not have to do much to it. I might bolt in the 44 i got laying around though jamminz.gif

I found a 99 thats real nice, right around 100k, but XJ's seen to be going up in price compared to when I bought my first one 2 years ago.

but XJ's seen to be going up in price compared to when I bought my first one 2 years ago.

all the more reason to not pass up a fair priced, good running example who's only downfall is a lp front axle (which really is NOT that bad). all ZJs and TJs have lp front axles. as do the vast majority of 4x4s out there. they seem to get by just fine. :dunno:

While I am with most folks here and prefer the HP 30...I actually swapped in a LP 30 from a 4 bngr TJ to match my 29 spl junkyard 8.25 with 4.10's.

I think the HP vs LP debate has been beaten to death. Lots of guys out there run 35's (and some bigger) on their TJ's with no issues. And the XJ weighs less.

That being said I have owned 7 XJ's including my current one. 2 of my 7 were '99's...I honestly think '99 was the best year for the XJ. I wish to hell the MJ would have run through the same year as the XJ...I'd give up body parts for a '99 (not a converted one) MJ!!

Also don't overlook 2 doors. I am on my 2nd 2 door XJ and am liking it more and more each day. There have been 2 late model 2 door 4x4's for sale here recently and I really wished I had the $$ to get them. I think the 2 door models will fetch a slightly lower price than 4 doors will. I only paid $150 for the one I'm driving now :D

A better way to check for the crack-prone 0331 head is to look for the threaded bosses on the right side of the engine. They are for the ignition coil packs that are found on ALL '00 and '01 models. However, some '99s came with the 0331 head w/threaded bosses and distributor.

I've had to repair two 0331 heads that cracked. Both were because the plastic radiator end-tanks cracked, leaked out all of the fluid, and the engines were severely overheated. I would still buy another 0331 head engine in a second.