Need Help Quick!

I am tryingto get these coil springs off of a parts truck. Please help. As you can see, I have a few things disconnected. I have the frame on stands. I lowereed the jack that was holding up the front axle and it's still hanging up there. What else needs to be done? I'm trying to get these out and onto my truck before dark.

I'm thinking track bar.

After it is off the upper and/or lower control arms can possibly still hold it up too high. There are tabs on the frame that prevent the upper arms from dropping too far, and the lower arms can hit the axle bracket preventing it from going down far enough. And then the brake hoses may hit their end also.

Also, if you take off the bump stops (put a pipe wrench through the spring onto the rusty metal part above the rubber stop, it just unscrews) you need 4" less to get the springs out.

I find it easiest to unbolt everything. But putting it back together can be a pain as you'll be fighting the springs trying to get the control arms bolted up.

You can not get springs out while the LCAs are bolted up. I have read somewhere where someone says you can but I call BS on that! With everything dis-connected and the bump stop removed you still need another 2" of room to get the coil out. Also you will need compressors to get the coils back in safely.

You can not get springs out while the LCAs are bolted up. I have read somewhere where someone says you can but I call BS on that! With everything dis-connected and the bump stop removed you still need another 2" of room to get the coil out. Also you will need compressors to get the coils back in safely.

Ok

Ok

I have done it a half dozen times....never use spring compressors.

And if you DO unbolt the control arms, the easiest was to get them back on is using a BIG pipe wrench on the axle tube to turn the axle to the right angle to seat the control arms.

I agree with the above though, go out to autozone or advance or any car parts place and rent their spring compressor (it's free!). I usually grab both the strut spring compressor and the coil spring compressor just so I can use both if I need to. If you can remove the control arms, you don't need the compressors and they will just slide right out (no need to remove the track bar either once the control arms are removed). Actually removing the arms can be a bugger though, beyond getting the nuts off you have to deal with removing the bolts from the holes (which often have tension so you can't just slide them out); since it's a junkyard truck I'd say skip the wrenches and just cut those arms in half if you're that desperate.

When it comes to installation on your truck, if you're trying to do this is a hurry, take a moment to step back and approach this the right way. You do not want to unbolt the control arms if you've never done this before, besides just the trouble of removing them the first time, it is a real big hassle to get them installed again. I've done it several times now so it's a quick job for me, I know how to wiggle the axle around and where to put jacks to get the right twist to get holes to line up, but really it's not a fun thing to do if you're in a hurry (I speak from experience!). Get the right tool and do the job the right way!

1) Factory springs will come out without a spring compressor, but you need a breaker bar and know how to cheat death if it comes flying out.

2) Aftermarket springs need a compressor. These coils are not factory. I know this because you have said they have more lift than your normal truck, and the diameter of the coil is larger than factory.

3) You need a coil spring compressor. Parts stores "rent" them for $25, and you get the $$ back when you return it. Or, buy a pair. I have one pair Harbor Freight, one pair craftsman. Craftsman is my primary, the HF is for backup use only.

Remember, when the coil is comperssed, treat is like you are handeling live ordinance. If it pops loose, it can kill you. Tighten one side, then the other, then back to the other side, then back to the other. Alternate back and forth, and try not to let one side get a lot more compression than the other.

Done right: even compression

Lift04_OEM_Coil_Removal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...