Interior rollcages

First let me start out by saying hello. I am a long time Jeeper but I am new to MJ's. I did build an XJ a few years back but I only owned it for a year or so. I had a built TJ on 36's for the past 4 years but sold it here recently. I've always wanted a Comanche and luckily my next door neighbor has one parked in his driveway for sale. It's an 89' sb, 4.0,AW4,D44 in decent shape. I'm really looking forward to building it. My plan is 35's or 36's, lockers front and rear, RK long arm on the front, spring over rear blah, blah, blah.... So... on to my question....

I'm not finding any cage kits for the MJ. I don't have access to a bender but I prefer to weld myself. What I'm wondering is... Have any of you built an interior cage using one of the S-10, Chevy Luv, or Toyota cages that are readily available at Jeg's and race car shops? Jegs is an hour from my house so I wouldn't even have to pay shipping. The 10 point cages are under $250 for these vehicles.

If none of you have any experience with any of these cages I suppose I'll just head up to Jegs with my measurements and a tape measure. But, if any of you have been through this before, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :cheers:

My biggest concern is that I find a "B" hoop that is the right width and the overhead hoop is the right width from side to side. Everything else should work out okay with standard coping and fitting.

It just seems like a cheap and effective way of creating a roll cage for these without spending a thousand dollars. I'm not looking to build a show queen. I just want a solid wheeler I can feel safe in.

My goal is to build the whole MJ for under $3000. If I can get one of these cages to work for $250 then I am well on my way.

later, j

I didnt mention this earlier but Pong with his weth of knowledge and expertise kinda hinted at it. What about an exo cage??? They look badarse and even protect the body as well. Maybe this could be an option if you could find somewhere that would bend you up some tubing for a good deal. :brows:

BTW Glad to see your back in the swing of things PingPong it been awhile. ;)

Cole

I don't have anything against exo's they just aren't my style. I understand the benefits of them I'm just not a big fan.

I just got off the phone with S&W race cars and they build a 10 pt. Cherokee cage. He is emailing me the specs on the cage (measurements etc.) so I can go over them and see if it will work on a MJ. They are also having a sale until Dec. 30th. $219 for the 10 pt. cage! Shipping for me (one state over) is around $85. I'm going to get the measurements and go over them to see if this will work.

I'll post up this weekend what I find out. jamminz.gif

later, j

http://www.swracecars.com/

I just looked over the cage specs and everything looks good except the rear bars that go back to the bed (or rear area of a XJ) aren't straight. It looks like they are bent as to go over the head of the backseat area of the XJ. I'm sure it would be nothing for them to send straight bars as opposed to the angled ones for the XJ.

Over the weekend I'm going to actually measure it all out and make sure everything looks good. If so, I'm going to give this a shot. You can't beat it for $219!

later, j

Most guys that do an exo go overboard and build a junglegym. Just keep it simple and it'll look much better. :D

These are my plans. The dashed lines will be inside the fender and connect to my rocker guards.

And maybe later I'd add some extra.

The dashed lines will all be hidden and the end result will be this:

It's minimalistic will protect my A-pillars. Interior cages are great for hard rolls, but exterior cages are also good for soft flops. Plus there really isn't all that much room inside an MJ.

If you do use the S&W cage... you will only be using the A and B pillar part. Keeping in mind that the B pillar of an XJ is taller then the MJ.

AS for an exo being minimal...I agree, but make sure whatever you build can withstand a "catastrophic" Roll/Flop. I have had 2 hard flops, and I need to replace one of my door bars all ready cause it is slightly tweaked :eek: but it did its job

They are HREW not DOM. DOM cages from them are in the $450 range.

Like most folks... I have no intentions of rolling my MJ. I'm not one of those "got something to prove" type of wheelers. I just enjoy a nice day on the trail. I just want something that can save my noggin in case a roll occurs. Here in the Midwest the trails aren't quite as scary as they are out West.

PingPong, their cages are setup with a "B" hoop, an "overhead" hoop and down bars for the front. I would utilize all of that plus straight rear bars that will go into the bed. My plan (which I stole from a buddy who drags an S-10) is to remove the two side pieces of glass in the rear slider window, replace with lexan and cut holes for the bars to go through. The holes can then be sealed back up around the tube in various ways to keep the rain out.

I have about 15 foot of 1 1/2" DOM laying around that I'll use to put some overhead spreaders in etc.

As for the "B" hoop needing to be shorter... I don't expect the cage to just "fit" from the box. I'm sure the majority of the ends will need fitted and coped. The height of the "B" hoop will probably need adjusted like every other bar in the cage kit. My main concern is getting the bars in the pre-bent form so they will fit up with the interior size and dash shape.

later, j

The S&W cages, you can choose from Chromoly, DOM, or the mild steel.

The mild steel cages for a Cherokee are $249.95 (+$100 shipping to eastern Ohio) and can be modded to work for the MJ cab, but will limit your space you have behind your seat.. so if you'll tall I'd maybe go exo.

I'm planning to do an S&W in cab 10 point cage, and then adding some exo onto it and tieing everything into the unibody rails with supports below the floor.

You really can't beat that price... and honestly, these guys who swear by DOM and all that jazz, you can run a perfectly good cage made from regular steel if it's tied in properly. I really think this is a good buy, and know that S&W makes good stuff.

The S&W cages, you can choose from Chromoly, DOM, or the mild steel.

The mild steel cages for a Cherokee are $249.95 (+$100 shipping to eastern Ohio) and can be modded to work for the MJ cab.

The 10 point cages are $30 off until December 31st.

how exactly do you get 10 points inside an MJ cab? 8 point cages are pretty typical and usually mean 2 under the hood, 2 at the base of the A pillar, 2 at the base of the B pillar and 2 somewhere behind the B pillar...

hes not planning on using all 10 points... the 10 was for an XJ, and i know hes running at least 2 out the back windows into the bed.

don't know if that answers your question at all.

This is what Jegs and S&W are calling a 10 pt....

10_point_sm.gif

I don't think I'd would call it a 10 pt. either. Their 12 point cages are the ones that run up into the engine compartment.

I still haven't had a chance to check all the measurments but I'll get to it sometime this weekend.

What they call a 10 point isn't floor mounting points, I thought the same thing... also, even for the Cherokee it doesn't extend back to the rear door, not full length like some do. It's more of a cab only cage that would work for the MJ... maybe shortened up a bit. But for $250 who cares... slap it in there and go with it... a few mods and tweaks and your golden.

This is what Jegs and S&W are calling a 10 pt....

10_point_sm.gif

I don't think I'd would call it a 10 pt. either. Their 12 point cages are the ones that run up into the engine compartment.

I still haven't had a chance to check all the measurments but I'll get to it sometime this weekend.

It say's on the site "picture shown isn't the exact model" this pic you've attached is just an example similar... it's not the same cage, they just are too lazy to take pics of each indicidual cage to post on their site.