electrical problem

First thing to check would be, make sure all your out side lights are good.

next chexk the flaser unit.

After that I might check the wiring harness under the drivers carpet for a short.

Hope it helps and works.

what is WITH this lately? WTF guys? ANOTHER park light socket failure!? someone is out there vandalizing these this week i swear!

(not griping at the O.P.)

looks like a park-light socket problem, sim-ting mine did when they failed. should cost about 10 bucks at the auto parts store from the help! section, i think it's a ford socket.

When I fixed the wiring on my 87, I chased the same kind of gremlins.

Replaced the front sockets all was good.

FWIW, the sockets looked, tested good for power. But they were back feeding into my turn indicators.

Again, replaced the sockets, problem fixed.

I just fixed this same problem last week. My turn signals still blinked, but the buld is supposed to remain lit when the blinker is off and that was not happening. I ripped up a small piece of sandpaper and cleaned the terminals on both turn signal sockets, smeared dielectric grease inside and they've been working great.

i have a similar prob mine don't come on till i turn them all on and when the signal blinks the dash binks as the turn does any ideas where it could be coming from

that is what every one just answered lol but yeah its not big deal i just wanted to know how to fix this for now if it costs any thing I'm just going to leave it be :D

Brandon

I'm having the same issue. Found a post on another board that listed the Dorman P/N 84716 as a compatible part, but omg it's like $35! Anyone know what the part number of the Ford one that is only $10? I saw one at Autozone that looked similar but had no cross reference number so wasn't sure.

Got one that works. It's a Dorman 85898 $10.69 at Advance Auto Parts (I looked for the $5 one but they didn't have it). You hook new white to blue and new red to grey and of course black to black. Now my turn signal blinks when the headlights are both on and off.

okay i got confused i checked my fuses they are good but my passenger side head light is out I'm thinking a new light unless its a relay but my turn signals do not work like normal. when i turned my headlights and running lights on they work could it be the turn signal switch relay or what u guys were talking about and where is that at on the turn signal if u guys could i can text u when I'm doing it to follow and theres no need to be a smart @$$ on here i have a similar prob not the same 7028837044

I'm not quite understanding exactly what you are saying. Here is the complete issue I had with mine.

I had an issue with my turn signal thermal relay, what this did was when you turn on the blinker either side i just lit and didn't blink. $3-$4 part and fixed the blinking issue.

Next the diver side blinker wouldn't work at all. Thought it was the bulb, checked it and it looked good but replaced it anyway for good measure. No luck with the new bulb, I figure it was a bad ground, which it had a loose connection on the ground. Checked the blinkers after fixing the ground and it worked. At least until I turned the headlights on.

The driver side blinker would blink when the headlamps were off but when the lamps were on, which in turn turns the parking light on, the driver side blinker would go very bright and not blink. I thought I'd have to trace the whole harness for a short, but then I read a post about it possible being the socket. Replaced the socket and now it works like it is supposed to. :thumbsup:

Hope is fixes your issue.

BTW, did you get the headlamp fixed? Was it just the lamp or is it another issue. I read there can be problems with the switch, but that that usually casues both lamps to fail. If it's just the one it may be just the lamp.

Think I may need to replace my switch soon. The dash lights only come on when you turn it all the way CCW which should be the courtesy light position and the dimmer doesn't work at all. :hmm:

head light fixed- yes, but need one more

new turn signals harnesses installed- yes, both

dash still binks with either turn signal on and hazards on- no, i don't know what to do

i don't know what else to do they work but i have to turn my lights on for them to work. they won't work unless u turn on ur running or headlights to turn on ur signals.

Just a shot in the dark, but is sounds like a ground problem. You don't by chance have a trailer wiring harness do you? Do the dash lights blink in unison with the flashers or do the blinkers and dash alterante? Are the dash lights fine when the blinkers are off? If they blink in unison I would guess that there is a short somewhere in the blinker system. If the trailer harness is spliced into the rear harness you could have a short there.

It's a pain in the a$$ tracing wiring so I would start looking for loose connectors, taped splices, breaks in the wires, etc and fix them. You already replaced the front blinkers so I'd start with the rear blinkers, look for bad wiring.

Afterthought, have you checked your fuses? sometimes they look good but when you pull them the come apart (corrosion) I read somewhere that MJ's havea tendency to leak behind the fusebox and can cause corrosion in the fuses.

Also if the grounds and fuses are good it could be the multifunction switch. Sorry for throwing so much at you at once, but electricity can be fical.

i do but they never did that until i got a new deck. and i have checked those wires numers times. like when the blinkers on the dash dimer out so like a blink and when they are off they are fine same with the brake but not as bad like the turn signals. and i have an automatic so i don't worry about fuses being corroded. and my next question is could it be my battery I'm using a optima yellow top and when i changed batteries at the same time with the deck

Everything I read on the web kinda points to a bad ground. Maybe when you changed the battery? Electrical problems are tough :ack: Were there any ground points on the deck? What year is your truck? Check this guys page http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/faq.html scroll to the bottom nad read the Renix facts if you have a 87-90 truck.

Just fixed one about an hour ago. '89XJ, 4.0, auto. Turn signals not working. Both panel lights would come on when the head or parking lights were on. Concluded a bad ground, removed and cleaned the body ground mount on the left fender. Not it. Checked the ground at the socket. Right good. Left, no contact. The ground inside the socket was open. Apparently where the wire joined the bulb side contact. No corrosion, Clean socket. Changed socket. Every thing works. Took me an hour to find it. Weird