electrical problem

My MJ is an 89, and I have the same problem. I checked the ground from battery to engine, to firewall, and added an extra one straight from the battery to the firewall. I thought it was the turn switch right off the bat, but I refuse to by a new one for $100+ just to parts swap. I took the steering column apart to see if there were any broken wires or bad contacts, everything looked good. I put it all back together and both turn indicators are still on, now the horn works, but the turn signals only worked one time. I already plan on putting a newer 97-up grille on it, but wanted to get it licensed first. No signals = no tags. I may just jump on the grille swap instead of hitting the HELP isle for sockets and rewiring the grille twice.

• 1 month later...

I wired up the new style turn signal sockets, and got the indicators turned off on the dash cluster. Although that didnt make my turn signals flash. I was fiddling with the key while stumped about the problem and staring at my dashboard. When low and behold the ignition switch if held in a certain spot would activate my signals, wipers, and heater motor. $15 ignition switch should fix it for good!

i do but they never did that until i got a new deck. and i have checked those wires numers times. like when the blinkers on the dash dimer out so like a blink and when they are off they are fine same with the brake but not as bad like the turn signals. and i have an automatic so i don't worry about fuses being corroded. and my next question is could it be my battery I'm using a optima yellow top and when i changed batteries at the same time with the deck

I would check the way you grounded the radio. Ill bet its back feeding thru the system. Pull your new radio abd see if it fixes it, try hooking the orig radio back up. Ill bet it fixes it. My XJ does some strange things because of the way the PO has the radio wired too. I think he also has the ghround back-feeding thru the system. If I turn the headlights on with the jeep off the radio will turn on. If I dim the dash lights while driving the radio will turn off.

well i redid the wiring 2 times now it can be the radio and the fuse blew again so it has to be a wire somewhere don't know yet redid all the grounds to the block and frame still nothing i don't know what else to do. I'm also going to check out the wiring behind the engine see if anything is in there who knows. I'm pulling the engine out i got a messed up lifted and possible a valve. so i went to sumitt and got a k kit bigger camshaft bearings lifters and a bunch more parts getting ready to bore it out soon also painted the jeep green