Can synthetic oils be mixed?

jimoshel

My sister called me one day asking me about changing her stratus back over from synth to dino, as the quickie oil change place had told her and who knows how many other people that the engine needed to be flushed out before she could change oil types (she was trying to save money). I told her all those oils were perfectly interchangable and could be mixed, and that she didnt need to spend$79.95 to have her engine flushed. Bunch of frickin rip off artists they are. Taking advantage of peoples ignorance on the subject. Its just wrong. MIX IT!

When I was younger I had a '45 Harley Davidson. Got 50 miles to a qt of oil and 3 gals of gas. The gas was 19cents a gal and the oil was 5 cents a qt. Went to the used oil holding tank in the back of the station. Could tell when there was some axle lube mixed in with the last batch of oil 'cause it would only need 3/4 of a qt to top off. That's pretty much my experience on oils. Always thought synthetics was some sort of a super oil.

"To old we get to soon. To smart we get to late" :smart:

Always thought synthetics was some sort of a super oil.

"To old we get to soon. To smart we get to late" :smart:

True synthetics, i.e. those that are Group IV or V oils are different than the others.

But with so much marketing manipulation and product reformulations, governmental interference, etc. the differences between the top of the market and the bottom of the market have slowly come closer together. 10 years ago, I would have said no, don't mix them. But now if you got to do it, its not the problem it once was. You will lose the some of the advantages the synthetics give, but isn't there always a trade-off??