will a 96 xj be a suitable donor for an 88 mj ?

hi, i just got an 88 MJ, the body is good, the driveline is fair, and the interior is poor.

needless to say, it needs some TLC, so i found this 96 xj donor, its got the 4.0L HO

is it safe to assume that everything will bolt over? of course i would have to change the harness if i used the newer motor.

maily i am interested if the seats will work because mine are trashed. thanks in advance!

mike

Everything will bolt over with a few little mods, but the seat mounts are different. If you have buckets already, the new XJ seats should be able to mount to your MJ seat frames, but if you have a bench it will be a bit more difficult.... but not impossible. The dash harness and HVAC housing will also have to be swapped, and youll need to modify the wiring for the tailights, also need to figure out the fuel sender as the newer ones are backwards of the older ones, and I'm not sure about the pump pressure... you might be OK there. I'm assuming your MJ is a 4.0 already, but if not, then youll also need to swap over the radiator core support assy. And youll want to take advantage of the dual booster brakes and swap out the master/booster assy too. A lot of work, but doable. Good luck!

please help, i am looking at the donor truck tomorrow and can get it cheap.

You couldn't wait even ONE hour before bumping your post? We're pretty friendly around here and we all try to help one another, but we don't all sit here 24/7 waiting for a new post to answer. Be a little polite and give people a chance, eh?

You couldn't wait even ONE hour before bumping your post? We're pretty friendly around here and we all try to help one another, but we don't all sit here 24/7 waiting for a new post to answer. Be a little polite and give people a chance, eh?

:agree: only pete and rob are hear that much :rotfl2:

Honestly, the 96' XJ is one of the worst donor XJ's you could get (seriously).

It's good, because it's the last year for this body style,

so you get the 'newest' old body panels possible.

It's bad because it's a changeover year, and the most b@sterdized XJ of all (not counting the 84-86's).

The engine is OBDII,

for someone that wanted to swap the more complex OBDII setup into their MJ,

using a 96' for a donor would a good way to do it,

but you will run into issues trying to get the OBDII fuel system to work in an MJ (OBDII = no fuel return line).

People have done it (mostly those doing the complete conversion to 98-01 'everything'), but I believe most end up relocating the XJ gas tank into the MJ.

You can convert your OBDII engine to OBDI, but you'd still need to find a source for OBDI parts (harness/computer/fuel rail/etc etc).

You can try to swap the OBDII engine, and use the Renix controls you already have (assuming your 88' is a 4.0L already), but you'd still need to find a 91-95 fuel rail, since the Renix one won't bolt to the OBDII intake, and Renix uses a return line.

You'd also have to build a hybrid throttle position sensor (or two if you have an auto), and swap over the Renix sensors & flexplate/flywheel to your new engine.

As far as seats go,

they 'can' swap, but you need the seat brace welded to the 96's floor.

They redesigned the seat mount to better support the seats (when they added the airbag), and it meant the seats bolt in totally differently.

I run 01' seats in my MJ (very similar to your 96's)

I drilled out the spot welds on the seat mount bracket (same as you'd have to), welded it to my MJ's floor, shortened the XJ seat's rear mounts (MJ floor is higher in the back), and modified the seat backs to fold forward (mine was a 4door, so the seats did not fold forward).

There are other differences between an 88' & a 96' too, some good, some bad,

but if I was going to go to the trouble of using a 96' as a donor, I'd just get a 98'-01', and do the late model swap thing.

apologies, i guess i am getting antsy to start working on the jeep, and my first instinct is to collect information, then parts.

i promise i won't be the guy on the board who bumps to top for more views, and i definately won't be the guy here who corrects people on their use of spelling, grammar or word choice :D

Honestly, the 96' XJ is one of the worst donor XJ's you could get (seriously).

There are other differences between an 88' & a 96' too, some good, some bad,

but if I was going to go to the trouble of using a 96' as a donor, I'd just get a 98'-01', and do the late model swap thing.

thanks for the detailed info. agreed, with all that effort might as well swap to the 98-01 body and controls, but i kind of like the older body style look to these. i think if i can get the donor truck for $150-$200 it would be worth it because i could break even on scrapping it.

also, sorry for another newbie jeep question, but are the stock axles on a 88mj or 96xj and good? at most this would be a snow truck in the winter and a beach truck in the summer.

i was able to hold back and not buy a complete (but t-boned and missing trans and transfer case) 96 xj for only $250 ... if anyone is on long island NY and needs a good donor for axles, interior, body, motor, let me know and i will put you in contact with the guy. he is scrapping the truck this coming wednesday.

should i still buy it? he will have it until wednesday.

If the 96 is a bad swap because of changeover year, would a 95 be a better donor?

Yes I read the OP, and yes I understand the "HO-everything concept."

95' (IMHO) would be a much better donor.

You still have the late model seats and airbag column issue, but you don't have all the wacky 'one year only' parts like a 96' does.

There are some decent parts on a 96, I just wouldn't want one for an HO drivetrain swap.

91-95 donor = perfect for an HO swap.

don't mean to hi-jack your thread here. but a 2000 xj would be a perfect donor correct? i plan on swapping the 4wd to my 91 and HO over to my 88, my dad is using the motor for my moms tj. it was rolled and the front end looks pretty rough so not going to be able to swap the front end pieces.

But as far as the HO swap going what all wiring am i going to need?

thanks

devin

If the 96 is a bad swap because of changeover year, would a 95 be a better donor?

You still have the late model seats and airbag column issue, but you don't have all the wacky 'one year only' parts like a 96' does.

There are some decent parts on a 96, I just wouldn't want one for an HO drivetrain swap.

I don't think I'll have seat issues, I'm keeping the stock interior seats etc that I currently have.

But now you bring up another point, quote: "airbag column issue"?

I think the 95 column,airbag and steering wheel is a hideous piece of "safety equipment" that I really don't want on my truck.

Besides, It never came with one anyway.

Can I keep my stock column?

Will it cause computer issues? If it just throws a "airbag" light could I just unplug it?

If I keep my stock 89 column will I have problems wiring it ?

Lastly if I use the 95 column, does that mean I'll have single key use for the doors, ignition, glove compartment?

That might be a deciding point to keep the 95 column. Had to ask this question because my 95 XJ is 20+ miles away, can't just go

outside and look.

and me but I'm only getting input :D

I don't think I'll have seat issues, I'm keeping the stock interior seats etc that I currently have.

But now you bring up another point, quote: "airbag column issue"?

I think the 95 column,airbag and steering wheel is a hideous piece of "safety equipment" that I really don't want on my truck.

Besides, It never came with one anyway.

Can I keep my stock column?

Will it cause computer issues? If it just throws a "airbag" light could I just unplug it?

If I keep my stock 89 column will I have problems wiring it ?

Lastly if I use the 95 column, does that mean I'll have single key use for the doors, ignition, glove compartment?

That might be a deciding point to keep the 95 column. Had to ask this question because my 95 XJ is 20+ miles away, can't just go

outside and look.

Hmmm,

Swapping in a 95' XJ harness + keeping the GM column would make things tougher.

If it's that much of a dealbreaker, you'd be ahead of the game starting with a GM column HO (or atleast grab the harness/column out of one).

Defeating the airbag could be an option, but you'd still be left with the Mopar column.

Hacking the harness, and keeping 1/2 the renix, and 1/2 the HO harness is an option.

Tho probably a long, painful option.

I ended up keeping the Renix controls with an HO engine swap,

someday I'd like to do the HO wiring harness swap, or even a 97-99 dash & harness swap,

I had pulled a whole 01' XJ harness/dash,

but decided against the 01' California emissions, 3 cat's, multiple O2 sensors, distributorless ignition, and the crappy Mopar Column.

:wall:

I got a complete HO. I really like the engine, under hood lay out.

Think the Renix lay out is a crappy design. (critical wiring across front bulkhead).

Somehow I'm going to have to make the GM column work, I cringe at the thought of having a beautiful truck with that hideous

Chrysler air bag.

I do have to admit that I have a thorough understanding of the Renix engine controls.

What to do, what to do.........

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Oh yeah, what about making 4dr buckets tilt forward?

Oh yeah, what about making 4dr buckets tilt forward?

I replied to "the other thread':

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25700

I modified one of the 01' XJ seats in the trail-MJ (pass side).

It was a while ago (so details are fuzzy now), but I had to cut out a piece of the seat back support, and IIRC I welded something back in to make it fold/stop the way I wanted it to.

When I ever get around to doing the drivers side, I'll take some pics.

The only negative is there's no latch to keep the seat from folding forward (not an issue/problem for me tho).

I only did one to see if I could live without having it latch solidly in place.

Doesn't seem to make much difference to me, but I haven't gotten around to doing the drivers side yet.

I'm pretty sure I didn't need to touch the inside (console side) seat back support, and only had to modify the outside (door side) brace/bracket that holds the seat back.

• 1 month later...