my new project...lots o work

88swampedmj

My rig is far from hardcore, but Iam slowing building it that way :twisted: I am getting ready to order my steel for my cage in a couple of weeks, :D Then it is on to deciding what to do with what is left of my bed :roll: As far as my axles and what not... I am somewhat pleased with what I have so I am proprable going to keep that for a while longer. Might do another gear swap though.

You do know that swapping gears isn't as easy as bolting them in, right? Just checking.

And while the TJ axle may technically be weaker, I've seen plenty of them survive just fine with 33s. I wouldn't go any bigger though, but that's just my opinion.

Jeep on!

--Pete

The weak poits on the D30 are many. First is the weak 260 joints on the older axles, then there is the 297, not weak, but there are stronger options. I went and bit the bullet, and did alloys with super joints :shock: Pricey yes, but I havent broke any more shafts or joints :D

The next weak point is the LCA, and UCA mounts. The lowers need to have skids welded on them, and the welds gone over by a compotent welder. The upper on the passenger side should at least be plated over on the front side (opening) preferably with a lil trussing on each side. These are things I have learned over a few yrs.

My other recommendation is to do the hub conversion if you don't plan on upgrading your housing.

Patrick

The weak poits on the D30 are many. The upper on the passenger side should at least be plated over on the front side (opening) preferably with a lil trussing on each side.

I agree, i've seen these fail on non-disco axles. Another reason the cast mount makes the disco axle a viable option.

I am not sure :? I almost flopped :shock: came doen hard. In the next 15 feet my locker exploded, d 30 axle shaft broke. :evil: Needless to say the rest of my first day at Tellico (fot the first time btw) I wheeled with a blown apart lock right, and bent tube. Didnt find out it was bent till I got home (8 1/2 hr drive each way). So I am pretty sure it would have bent a non disco housing, that is why I truss mine now :D Its easy enough considering the tools I have.

Patrick

iam putting a 5" lift on it 33" LTBs, rear 8.8 and front tj 30 with 4.88s

Don't use a TJ D30, it's low pinion and a weaker R&P setup than the HP D30 in XJ's. Then swap in 297x shafts if it doesn't have them already.

i just found out its not a tj30 its an old xj non disco with tj shafts..

• 3 months later...

just got some pics of what ive done to it so far...

right now iam about to put the 5" lift on it and 33s

i also just got the bed rhino lined tore out the carpet and painted it all flat black..as seen in the pics...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

well i got it back...and took it wheelin while it was still stock..it did .....bad...the 4x4 didnt work the actuator messed up...i don't care iam switchin axles anyways..and it won't go into 4th gear ...still don't care iam switching trannys....well here's the pics...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

got ahold of a tree while turning around...