So, I had a busy afternoon

mfpdm

Well I had busy afternoon which ended up pretty good. I found a 2001 XJ on craigslist last week and almost jumped at it but then this morning it was listed again at a lower price. So, I gave the guy a call, got the details, and took the afternoon off. Met the guy, inspected the Jeep and after a brief talk, I had purchased a 2001 XJ for $850. It has some damage from a late night meeting with a deer, but should fix up just fine. A ding here and there but I was just looking for a possible DD to give the TJ a rest but nothing that I had to spend a lot on. Here she is once I got her home.

Did I mention that it has new tires with less than a 1000 miles on them?

Interior needs a good cleaning but it's intact.

Here's the damage.

The radiator was toast along with the condensor and header panel. Drivers side fender needs replaced and the firewall straighten back out but nothing too bad. Power steering pump and fan needs replaced. Just so happen that I stopped by the JY and pulled the parts that will get it back on the road.

Will go back this weekend and get a few other things.

So all in all it was a good afternoon. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

I was really in the market for a 2dr but this will do for awhile. The color did pretty much help me decide. I've always like the green. :D Paint is in good shape. A nice wash and wax and it should really shine. Will look a little funny with the silver front and if I get the hood this weekend. But can't be too picky when 97+ XJs don't make it in the JY often. At least not in good shape.

Nice score!

I just picked one up in kinda the same condition for 1000 with a bucketload of spare parts in the back, one of the local NAXJA guys used to part out and rebuild a lot of XJs and decided he wasn't doing that anymore. It came to me with a 96-down nose on it, dark red header panel, black fenders, white hood, assorted mechanical problems and stuff missing, but almost rust free! I spent about a month and a half haunting the junkyards until finally last Saturday I walked into the yard to see a 97-up XJ in the same color (slightly different trim, who cares) that had been sideswiped, only one tiny dent in the driver side fender right near the door. Took the entire nose off it and now mine is all one color jamminz.gif

(it's the 98 in my signature)

Holy nice score.

I thought the rolled 99 donor I bought was a deal @ $900. Raced 2 others to get to the location in rural MO. Luckily one guy from NE had a trailer brake lock up and the other showed up as I was strapping it on the dolly.

Is that the dark Forrest green or the, what is it, beryl green?

Stuff like that only sits on CL for a week at most around here. High priced or not.

Nice score on the header panel(and the jeep too), but the header panel is almost the more lucky find. 97+ header panels are very rare in the yards, same with fenders etc.

Whenever I come across good 97+ body panels I pull em, gotta get em while you can even if you don't need them.

Is that the dark Forrest green or the, what is it, beryl green?

Stuff like that only sits on CL for a week at most around here. High priced or not.

I believe it is the forrest green. I doubt it would have been on there for more than a few hours had it been in the immediate area. I had to drive 45 mins to get to it out in the country.

Nice score on the header panel(and the jeep too), but the header panel is almost the more lucky find. 97+ header panels are very rare in the yards, same with fenders etc.

:agree:

How many miles are on it?

It has high miles, 178000. However the story is that those are highway miles back and forth to college. I'll find out this weekend hopefully how well it runs when I get the radiator back in it. Put the power steering pump and tension pulley in as well as the ac bracket with new fan today. Only engine parts I need now are an airbox, condensor, tranny cooler, and electric fan. Should have that by Sunday.

Only 178K? So it's just about broken in ;)

This post got me to wanting to get another cheap 97+ XJ (I picked up my '01XJ with 154K miles on it for $400). I found an '01XJ Limited with 33K (That is NOT a typo) for $1500. It was apparently hit in the rear pretty good, but maybe now I'll have a use for the rear of my '98XJ donor for my MJ?

Only 178K? So it's just about broken in ;)

Yep. :thumbsup:

This post got me to wanting to get another cheap 97+ XJ (I picked up my '01XJ with 154K miles on it for $400). I found an '01XJ Limited with 33K (That is NOT a typo) for $1500. It was apparently hit in the rear pretty good, but maybe now I'll have a use for the rear of my '98XJ donor for my MJ

Finding them cheap was a lot easier before cash for clunkers. :fs1: I could find ones in the 1500s that had no body or mechanical issues. Now everyone wants 5k for them. :shake:

sounds a lot like my 99 xj, similar damage and all except mine had a little more front damage and cost even less, with 194k miles at the time.

by the way, i have a header in good shape that is the same color as your truck. if you want to work out the shipping i'd trade you for the silver one.

sounds a lot like my 99 xj, similar damage and all except mine had a little more front damage and cost even less, with 194k miles at the time.

by the way, i have a header in good shape that is the same color as your truck. if you want to work out the shipping i'd trade you for the silver one.

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if I don't come up with one locally in the next 30 days. That's how long I have to return this one for a swap or refund.

IT'S ALIVE!!! :clapping: :banana: jamminz.gif

Replaced enough parts to fire her up today. Cranked up first try and purrs like a kitten. $1280 invested at this point. Only thing left is to get an electric fan and charge the A/C. I have to swap the radiator as the one the guy gave me has a crack in it. Glad I just filled it with water till I knew it was good. Have a spare in the garage. Will work on cleaning the interior and then by weeks end I should have it doing DD duty. ;)