Hows your horn???

The horn button in my wheel SUX!!! It will blow if pressed about half the time and NEVER when you need it!! The contacts are worn. I have had it apart once long ago and cleaned up/out all the old grease and it was better, but not fixed.

With the parts guys we have here, I am wondering if these parts are still available from the factory and if anyone else has this problem and has repaired it!!

I need to swap out my key switch as mine is badly worn and would like to tackle both jobs at once...

I could just head to the dealership and get these answers, but figured I would ask the "experts" here first...

CW

My horn doesn't work at all, no power from the brown 14g wire. According to the schematic there is a 12ga brown that come off the ignition switch and leads to a power distribution "E" location, then turns into a 14ga brown wire that goes to the horn relay. Does anybody know where the power distribution location "E". I'm thinking it is a connector down on the steering column? I'm going to install a set of gauges so the dash will come apart in the future, then I will dig around and find it.

Do you have the sport steering wheel or the standard wheel. The sport wheel has a plunger in the turn signal cancelling cam and that can get pretty corroded. You can just file it a little and it should be good for another 20 years. The standard wheel has a wire with a brass rivet on the end that sticks out the turn signal cancelling cam. the brass gets corroded and green. There's just a little tab that holds it in (same with the sport wheel). Just give it a twist and the spring and wire should come right out (spring and plunger if it's a sport wheel). The brass ring around the turn signal cancelling cam is also brass and gets corroded so if you're going to change the tumbler you can clean that up pretty good too. All those parts are available at NAPA if you just want to replace everything.

Mac...

Many GM steering wheels use the identical horn internals as the MJ steering wheels. Do a search on Ebay for NOS GM steering wheel parts, particularly the two pressure plates, the grounding contact rod, spring, and insulator, and, and the pressure plate insulators. Intermittent problems usually occur when the contact rod tip is corroded where it presses against the pressure plate when you attempt to blow the horn. I have a lot f this stuff if you need........

• 3 weeks later...

Recieved and e-mail from a member asking what holds the wire with the brass rivet in the turnsignal cancelling cam. Since it may be something someone else needs, I thought I'd answer it here.

It's that little black plastic thing...

235467.jpg

And it's available at NAPA. HERE

Part no BK 7352822

The kit includes the spring, plunger and keeper.. Throw away the plunger and use your wire with the brass rivet.

The horn's never worked on my MJ. The horn ITSELF works but not via the wheel. It came with the wheel off halfway off (the nut is there, 1/2 off, but it hasn't been pulled. The PO was in the process of putting in a Grant wheel. I'm waffling on completing the Grant install or Just keeping the stock wheel (no airbag).

I'd like to know the outcome of this, or at least the fix either way.

The connection in the standard wheel didn't work well on either the '87 or the '90. Also the horn itself was corroded in the '87 and worked intermittently. The sport wheel (3 spoke) didn't work that well until I got the metal plate (contactor?) in exactly the right place. Now it's fine. I had no problems finding extra sport wheel parts at the jy.