Gas Tank Fun

KYMJ

4x4 gas tank sprung a leak. I ordered a new one, so I took the old one out today. Simple job, I thought. First bolt I went take out of the skid plate, just spun, usually no problem, just get out the grinder, but no, I was swimming in gas.Nutsert came loose. I had to cut, bend the frame rail because it wasn't wide enough to get a vise grip on the nutsert. Thank goodness, it was the outermost bolt or I would have to cut holes in the bed to get the others. I wanted to avoid any cutting. Whats the deal with these tanks? It was a shiny as a new spoon. Guess it rusted from the inside. There, I feel better. Hope everybody's day went better. Of course I can't complain It's all down hill now. :D

Image Not Found

I've never heard of gas tanks rusting from the inside. Maybe if it sat for a long time and had no gas in it then it could have rusted, but if you have steel surrounded by gas, it shouldnt rust!!!

I have heard of gas tanks rusting at the seem they are welded together at. I had one do that in an XJ of mine.

At any cost it didnt look like you had fun with that. Oh and about the grinding and gas... Take it from me, its not a good idea. (I was actually welding when the fumes flashed me, I had my gloves and mask on so I didnt get any injuries other than some small burns but I learned my lesson :smart: , Thank God it was only a flash!) :dunce:

Some tanks that are not coated or had a bad coating will rust from the inside out from water in the fuel and condensation if the tank is not kept full all the time. Just replaced my daughters tank in her 91 Olds that rusted from the inside out. A lot of bikes do not have coated tanks and water will get down in the low areas and rust through in just a couple years. Had my 01 ZG1000 rust through in 4yrs :mad:

Charles

and rather then cut holes in the bed, just remove it. like 6 or 8 bolts. then you would also have a great time to check back of cab for bad rust and the rest of the frame and stuff. i have to remove mine soon to install me rollbar or if i drilled the holes for the front bar behind the drivers side i would drill the tank. but at least you got it.

Alex

where did u order the new tank from

I was hoping to get one overnight, I ordered it from Advance auto parts. They promised it overnight. It was $199 and some change, with my city Firefighter's 10% discount. More than I found on the internet, but sometimes time is money.

Might add-Yes it's rusted on the inside, the more I turned the nuts on the straps, the more it broke loose, the drip turned into a steady stream, odd. I believe the truck sat awhile. The ex manifold was broken in 3 pieces and was very loud when I bought it. I believe the PO just parked it until he traded it in, it had a mouse nest in it and there was a huge stash of acorns under the hood. A shame, $100 and a little wrenching took care of the manifold. His loss, my gain.

and rather then cut holes in the bed, just remove it. like 6 or 8 bolts. then you would also have a great time to check back of cab for bad rust and the rest of the frame and stuff. i have to remove mine soon to install me rollbar or if i drilled the holes for the front bar behind the drivers side i would drill the tank. but at least you got it.

Alex

Won't work. The frame rails are welded to the bed, if you can't get the bolt out of the skid, it will have to come also, including the tank. Tanks on and everything working, thankfully.