89 Wrangler 4x4

kyleag89

I have the chance to buy a mint condition 89 wrangler for cheap. I was wondering if they had as many issues with the front suspension like the xjs and mjs do? It is 4x4 with the 4.2L carbed motor. It runs great but needs the fuel lines replaced.

My wife had one when we first met, we never had any serious issues with it aside from it destroying tranny mount after tranny mount. As far as the suspension goes I havn't heard of the front end giving out, Although a 89 is now 21 years old so it the leafs are more then likley begining to wear.

You might just be trading one set of worries for another. YJs have very low arch to the springs and are very prone to bending. If the spring packs are original and it has been wheeled, expect the main leaf to be s-shaped. You won't get "death wobble" but you may have vague steering or experience wandering due to worn steering components. Then there is the computer controlled Carter carb. If you think Renix systems are temperamental think again. Good luck and post some pictures.

It has never been wheeled, but it is however completely stock. It is owned by an 18yo girl down the street that just drove it around town. I will probly stay away from it unless I can get it for $900 to $1000. Another thing I don't like is its automatic.

They're fun vehicles. I picked up a '91 with the 4.0L for $500 a couple months back. I also had an '89 with the 2.5L in it when I was in High School, but sold when I went away to college. Plenty of people daily drive YJs, but between the two that I owned, I never found it to be all that great for DD'ing. On my '89, I usually kept the soft top on all year round mainly because the Jeep had been in a really bad accident prior to my ownership and the body was never fixed quite right so the hard top sat a little funny on it. Although I never had anything major stolen from it, if you live in an area where crime is high, don't plan on putting anything of value in it.

My current YJ is nothing more than a toy. I drive it on the weekends and sometimes take it down to the beach. Any complaints I have of the YJ are all washed away when I'm cruising down the beach streets with the top down, doors off, tunes blaring, and three friends singing along. This past weekend we needed to do a beer run and were all too lazy to get up and do it, but my buddy said 'If I can take your Jeep, I'll go.' I handed over the keys and the rest of the day was saved thanks to the Wrangler. A couple more of those moments and I'll consider the thing 'paid off.'

Only picture I have of my '89:

My current '91:

i currently have 2 yj's, and i spend most of my time with them. different areas may differ, but for reference i paid 1,000 or 1200 for my yj project ( i think there's a link in my sig) it was an 87 with no rot or rust, but a blown motor. it took me 4 years to find one like that. if its not rotted out, don't hesitate on a deal on a yj.

there's plenty of ways around the carb, it was a problem with the increasing emissions regs then.

Google: Nutter Bypass

Made my 90 4.2 run a ton better for close to nothing. Also cleans up the engine bay.

Biggest concern is frame rot around the shackles and rockers/cowl/fender.

I loved that Jeep and would still have it, but I found a killer deal on a salvaged rubi in 03.

My first Jeep was a '91 YJ 4.0. Aside from the PO not maintaining it, I didn't have many issues with it. When I sold it (I got $7,300 for it a couple years ago - crazy huh?), I convinced my brother to buy one. He's had several issues with it, but most were not the Jeep's fault.

Well I went and inspected the jeep again today.. Found out the frame has some rot and a small hole in the back near the leaf spring shackle. Is this somthing I should be worried about and stay away or can I weld a plate over it and be ok?

Well the jeep is in great shape other than that. There is no rust anywhere else but the frame is BAD in one spot.. Go figure! I can probly buy it for around $800.. I know a great welder down the street that can fab somthing up for me.. I guess I just want to know what you guys think about frame repair?? I will also have to see if that will pass inspection in PA.