June 22

87Warrior

Who are any of us to say what a real Jeep is. It has been different for each generation. All things evolve, all things change. Being a dealer tech, and know a few ins and outs about the JK's, I can't say that they arent a real Jeep. There still is nothing else in the market... at least in the US,that can actually compare to the off the showroom off road capability of a new JK. And we all know that AMC hit a homerun with engineering the 4.0, but what did all the people think about it when IT first came out? That goes the same for each engine down the line. We are being awfully closed minded when we say "it aint a real Jeep. I can just imagine what was said about our UNIBODY XJ's and MJ's when they came out. If anything a unibody can't be a real Jeep can it? But it is! Just as the JK is, and the WJ is, and the ZJ, KJ, WK, TJ, and the new 2011 which I just saw in person yesterday IS..... to somebody..... the next generation. Sorry about the rant, I just get a little peeved always hearing this not a real Jeep dribble. GROW UP ALREADY! soapbox.gifimage_209027.gif

can't WE ALL JUST GET ALONG! :shake:

Do the XJs have build dates on the door stickers like the MJ?

I wonder when my '01 XJ was built...could I have...the LAST one?!!?

Edit: I answered my own question. Date of manufacture was 5-00....maybe I have...the FIRST one!!??!

For those on here ( certainly not me :D ) who may be old enough to remember the intro of the XJ, it was universally hated among the jeep folks. It was panned as a K-car with a front axle, replacing the beloved icon that was the original Chero. It was not until years later ( mainly when they became cheap enough for 'wheelers to buy them and bash them) that they began to get the love. Now jeepers talk about them in reverence. :bowdown:

Perceptions change, and initial perceptions can be wrong.

nicely stated das. I have been trying to get this across for a while now. I remember the uproar when the TJ came out with coil springs. CJ/ Wrangler guys vilified it as being a wimp mobile. And when the YJ came out, the interior was trashed by the CJ folks as being too 'plush' (imagine that :D )

Das--so your store recieved a new WK?

Do the XJs have build dates on the door stickers like the MJ?

I wonder when my '01 XJ was built...could I have...the LAST one?!!?

Edit: I answered my own question. Date of manufacture was 5-00....maybe I have...the FIRST one!!??!

Yeah... the last 01 XJ is actually in a Chrysler storage facility somewhere I think. Pretty sure Pete M and WFC saw it, in fact!

I view the JK as a "real jeep." Sadly, one I can't afford, but that will change in ten years.

My definition of a real jeep - live axles front and rear and a non pushbutton transfer case. Pushbutton transfer cases just scare me, even as an EE nerd, I don't want some stupid shift motor to die on me on the trail and leave me unable to use 4WD. Give me mechanical linkages to the throttle, brakes, steering, transmission (even automatics), and transfer case and I will be happy... don't like fly by wire in vehicles.

EDIT: An engine that isn't a massive turd helps too. So I stay away from 84-86 XJs with the V6. Yes, they are real jeeps, but they also like to turn into real lawn art.

Who are any of us to say what a real Jeep is. It has been different for each generation. All things evolve, all things change. Being a dealer tech, and know a few ins and outs about the JK's, I can't say that they arent a real Jeep. There still is nothing else in the market... at least in the US,that can actually compare to the off the showroom off road capability of a new JK. And we all know that AMC hit a homerun with engineering the 4.0, but what did all the people think about it when IT first came out? That goes the same for each engine down the line. We are being awfully closed minded when we say "it aint a real Jeep. I can just imagine what was said about our UNIBODY XJ's and MJ's when they came out. If anything a unibody can't be a real Jeep can it? But it is! Just as the JK is, and the WJ is, and the ZJ, KJ, WK, TJ, and the new 2011 which I just saw in person yesterday IS..... to somebody..... the next generation. Sorry about the rant, I just get a little peeved always hearing this not a real Jeep dribble. GROW UP ALREADY! soapbox.gifimage_209027.gif

can't WE ALL JUST GET ALONG! :shake:

Well said, as I have always thought, and whenever the 'real' jeep topic came up, I have always thought the same. It is also a belief of mine that if the vehicle does its intention, be it a pavement queen, or soccer mom mobile, it does its intended purpose. After all, if it sells well, it will turn into play money for the development team and that means good things.

Rob L.

nicely stated das. I have been trying to get this across for a while now. I remember the uproar when the TJ came out with coil springs. CJ/ Wrangler guys vilified it as being a wimp mobile. And when the YJ came out, the interior was trashed by the CJ folks as being too 'plush' (imagine that :D )

YJ's, with their square headlights and funky springs, were ignored by the jeep "faithful" at first, as well.

WE did not get one for the lot yet, but a factory rep came through to do a training for the sales people. This one was a hemi, with full leather interior, and it had the proximity sensor key system that would unlock whatever door for you automatically as you approach it, with the pushbutton starter. As I first saw it, I wasnt 100% sure it was the WK or not as the profile is very similar to the pevious model, but the front and rear ends are different, and it was slightly sleeker. I was hoping to get a look at the new Pentastar V6, but not yet I guess. For next year they are doing away with the 3.3, 3.8 minivan engines, the 2.7, and 3.5 engines in the 300, Charger, and Challenger, and the 3.7 in the truckks. The Wrangler will keep the 3.8 for a while yet, and I'm not sure about the 3.7 in the Libby or Nitro yet.

did you say that the JK wrangler is a unibody? i thought it was a body on frame??

I did not mean that the JK or the others were unibody, just that they to could be considered real Jeeps... sorry for the confusion.

And Freak... I really wish you would restart your build thread..... just thought I would throw that out there.

did you say that the JK wrangler is a unibody? i thought it was a body on frame??

And Freak... I really wish you would restart your build thread..... just thought I would throw that out there.

i think i might the current one iis just abit confusing lol

Oooook now that I started a huge controversy, let me back it up a bit and reword my original statement.

I merely meant that the last XJ rolling out was the end of AMC/Jeep's engineering, and every jeep afterwards was dealt with the chrylser touch. IMHO jeeps don't have that rugged, versatile feel since the end of the XJ.

Sorry to beat a dead horse.

:cheers: