edman2007

Rate The bumper  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rate The bumper

• Crappy
    • Functional
    • Decent
    • Exceptional

First ever fab attempt for me. This was my high school Junior year of welding project. All mounts (receiver tube, d-ring, and frame) pass through both sides. Still a work in progress, with a tire carrier to be added. A few pics of my "weak" flexing are tossed in too for a laugh. My jeep has less than $1800 into it with all mods, so its definitely a budget built DD.

Material Specs

Body: 2"x5" x 3/16"

Mounts: 1/4" angle and plate

Quarter guards: 12 gauge 1.5" square tube

Suprisingly there is no rub here at all. Suspension is at bumpstop and tire still has some wiggle room.

And the before pic for fun

I had to vote functional because you didn't show if the quarter guards have returns to the frame.

If you do have returns, then I would definitely upgrade my vote to decent or even better yet (which you don't have a vote fore) exceptional etc.

they will be if/when i get a gas tank skid built. i didn't want that to get in the way before i decided how i want to mount the tank skid. So frame tie in is on the agenda! I'm also 17 and don't have much cash/shop tools on hand, so all of that limits my ability to work on it when i want. But i would rate it a decent first try at fab work for me..

I voted functional... only thing bad I have to say is that you probably should have used something heavier than 12 gauge on those quarter panel guards. They stick out pretty far, I wouldn't want to come down hard on something like that. If it weren't for that I'd vote higher.

yeah. i know they won't take a full on drop very well, but they do survive using them as a jack point. But i figured since that was all i had at the time, something was better than nothing to protect that thinner sheet metal above it.

yeah. i know they won't take a full on drop very well, but they do survive using them as a jack point. But i figured since that was all i had at the time, something was better than nothing to protect that thinner sheet metal above it.

:thumbsup: fully understood, been there before!