I need help!! (with axles and gears)

Ok i Just purchased a dana 44 with 3.56 for 400$ it was a little expensive but the shafts are good i got it out of an 86-88 cherokee according to the ID. my comanche has 310s front and rear so when i swap in the new axle i will regear i want to run 35s with 4.5 inches of lift and cutting... so my first question is what gears should i run?

next i have an 86 donor truck that has 410s in the front dana 30 the truck i am working on is an 88 4.0 5 speed with 3.10s would regearing the dana 44 to 410s and putting in the donor dana 30 in to have matching ratios me a good idea?

finally would the 410s create near stock power with 35s? any help is greatly apperciated i am new and really like these trucks!

thanks in advanced

OK I just purchased a dana 44 with 3.56 for 400$. It was a little expensive but the shafts are good. I got it out of an 86-88 Cherokee according to the ID. My Comanche has 3:10s front and rear. So when I swap in the new axle I will re-gear. I want to run 35's with 4.5 inches of lift and cutting... So my first question is what gears should I run?

Next I have an 86 donor truck that has 4:10s in the front dana 30. The truck I am working on is an 88 4.0 5 speed with 3:10's. Would re-gearing the dana 44 to 4:10s and putting in the donor dana 30 in to have matching ratios me a good idea?

Finally would the 4:10's create near stock power with 35s? Any help is greatly appreciated I am new and really like these trucks!

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the club! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A 3:10 ratio is not a dana gear ratio in these axles. Its more likely you have 3:07 gears.

For gears for 35's and a 4.0 I like to recommend a minimum of 4:56. The D30 is the limiting factor here. IMHO 4:88 would be better, but its a mighty small pinion. 4:56 may likely prove stronger. Also, you could get away with 4:10's if $$ where tight. (Grab the D30 w 4:10 factory installed and re-gear the D44 to match.)

The other thing is 35's are nice, but its a big step for a number of reasons. You will find like most of us here, that 33's are a better option overall.

Lastly, punctuation is your friend. ;) With out it, your post is kinda hard to read. :doh: My spelling/grammar checker had a field day with your quote! :rotf: LOL.

CW

As CW mentioned, 3:10 was not a Jeep ratio. I had a difficult time understanding your post, until I realized that wasn't a typo but an incorrect ratio. 4.0L engine w/ 5-speed, the stock ratio was 3.07. That ratio, IMHO, was a factory mistake and should never have been used. But ... they didn't ask me.

My rule of thumb for ratios, based on the vehicle being used for a mix of daily driver and moderate wheeling:

3.54 for stock tires

3.73 for 30" tires

4.10 for 31" tires

4.56 for anything larger than 31s

3.73 gears with 31x10.50 tires is EXACTLY the same final drive ratio as stock tires with 3.54 gears. (Equal final drive ratio = equal power.) There is no way 35s with 4.10s would come even close to matching the stock final drive ratio.

BTW, 4.88 is an available ratio. Dana-Spicer doesn't offer 4.88 gears for the Dana 30, but some aftermarket companies do. BUT -- you have to be brave to use then, and not have a heavy right foot. The problem is that the pinion gear gets very small with the 4.88 gearset, so the differential isn't very strong. Which, of course, is the opposite of what you want when you're moving to tires so much bigger than stock.

I can't imagine why you might want to put 35s on a Comanche. The front Dana 30 is a decent axle, but it's not equal to 35s. Plus, you'll have to do so much chopping that you won't have a Comanche when you're done.

:agree:

35"s will fit fine in the rear with a big enough lift , however the front will have to be trimmed for sure . You'll also have to put a ton of money in front axle to run 35"s

without blowing through D30's .

33's and 456's all day long .....

35"s will fit fine in the rear with a big enough lift , however the front will have to be trimmed for sure . You'll also have to put a ton of money in front axle to run 35"s

I run 35" tires and an Aussie locker in the stock D30 with the larger u joints. I have had the front axle hopping and bouncing without a problem. All the breakage I have had was initially caused by a seizing Timken unit bearing on the freeway. Have not had a problem with the diff or shafts.

A friend of mine runs 35" tires on a ZJ with an open D30 and he has blown two sets of spider gears so far. I have no spider gears, so....

As mentioned above, forget 35s and 4.10s. I had that set up for a few months on my TJ and hated driving the pig down the road. I also felt that 33s and 4.10s were barely adequate.

Sure, you can follow charts to get your rig back to a stock-like configuration, but keep in mind your truck has a greater wind resistance and weight than it did stock.

I run 35" tires and an Aussie locker in the stock D30 with the larger u joints. I have had the front axle hopping and bouncing without a problem. All the breakage I have had was initially caused by a seizing Timken unit bearing on the freeway. Have not had a problem with the diff or shafts.

A friend of mine runs 35" tires on a ZJ with an open D30 and he has blown two sets of spider gears so far. I have no spider gears, so....

Thats why is has a good reputation for a small axle , however if I threw 35"s on a stock open diff , knowing my luck the turdy would $#!& the bed right then and there . Of course , I've had my own D44 buy the farm from a

bearing going bad right out the box ... :dunno: Maybe I'm just used to Murphy's Law always laying the law on me ... :dunno:

• 1 month later...

ok, thanks everyone for all the advice i think i will steer clear of 35s for now. I am getting ready to install my dana 44 axle out of the cherokee into my comanche. I think I need:

new shocks

extended brake lines

new leaf spring plates

and perches

What are the best kinds to get?

Is there any thing else i need?

thanks for any more help :thumbsup:

I wouldnt throw away the idea of 35's right away. I have a friend who runs 35's on a 30 front and 35 rear with the stock gear ratio's. He's done this for over a year now and nothing has blown yet. I'm not say I suggest it, but it can be done

I wouldnt throw away the idea of 35's right away. I have a friend who runs 35's on a 30 front and 35 rear with the stock gear ratio's. He's done this for over a year now and nothing has blown yet. I'm not say I suggest it, but it can be done

X2 it can be done

I for myself run 35 and 4.88 in my YJ with 2 d44 (full spool front and detroit rear) and had no prob with it so far and Ive been running this for 2 year