Leaf springs

Has anyone used FS Waggy or J10/J20 leaf springs in a spring over configuration on a MJ ?

I'd like to do a SO on mine to clean up the underside of the axle, but really don't want to lift it more than 3-3.5" I'm hoping that since the FS jeeps were SO to start with the springs will have less arch to them and give me the height I want

The Explorer pack sits a bit lower than even a 2wd MJ (which is about 1" lower than a 4wd MJ). Just be sure to reuse your current main leaf (explorer mains are off center by a bit) and drill it out for the explorer's larger centering bolt. I would go the extra step and cut the eyes off the Explorer main and include it as an AAL to help control spring wrap.

but there's no guarantee about a specific outcome. as with all used leafs, ya gotta try to know for sure.

Incommando is correct. The FSJ (Full-Size Jeep) rear springs are the same dimensionally, so they will fit your Comanche. The free arch on the lightest FSJ spring is around 5-1/2"; our lightest rear spring has around 7-1/2" of free arch; however, our Comanches weigh about 2/3 to 3/4 as much as a FSJ, so their springs will be much stiffer.

If all we, or any other spring manufacturer, had to do to outfit a Comanche was supply a FSJ spring, then we wouldn't have had to develop special springs for our trucks.

If you are looking to get by as cheaply as possible, then I would go with Pete's suggestion.

The Explorer pack sits a bit lower than even a 2wd MJ (which is about 1" lower than a 4wd MJ). Just be sure to reuse your current main leaf (explorer mains are off center by a bit) and drill it out for the explorer's larger centering bolt. I would go the extra step and cut the eyes off the Explorer main and include it as an AAL to help control spring wrap.

but there's no guarantee about a specific outcome. as with all used leafs, ya gotta try to know for sure.

Thanks Pete,

I have 2WD leafs now, so if in theory the average height gained by a SO using 4WD springs is 5.5" and 2WD springs give you 1" less then if by using the explorer pack that gives me another 1/2 to 3/4" reduction i would be happy with the theoretical 4" lift, I guess it's off to the wreckers to grab some springs and let the experimentation begin.

Incommando is correct. The FSJ (Full-Size Jeep) rear springs are the same dimensionally, so they will fit your Comanche. The free arch on the lightest FSJ spring is around 5-1/2"; our lightest rear spring has around 7-1/2" of free arch; however, our Comanches weigh about 2/3 to 3/4 as much as a FSJ, so their springs will be much stiffer.

If all we, or any other spring manufacturer, had to do to outfit a Comanche was supply a FSJ spring, then we wouldn't have had to develop special springs for our trucks.

If you are looking to get by as cheaply as possible, then I would go with Pete's suggestion.

Cheap is good, that's my Scottish side coming out, I've looked at your website and have contemplated ordering a set of springs and staying spring under, but there are a few issues regarding UPS and exorbitant brokerage fees getting things into Canada. Last parts I ordered, cost me 150 + 35 Shipping and when it got to my door the UPS driver was standing there with his hand out looking for another $80.00. :fs1:

Due to that I try to stay within Canada for the heavy stuff if I can, I assume Leafs would be too heavy for USPS, although I guess it would be a good excuse for a road trip :cheers:

Cheap is good, that's my Scottish side coming out, I've looked at your website and have contemplated ordering a set of springs and staying spring under, but there are a few issues regarding UPS and exorbitant brokerage fees getting things into Canada. Last parts I ordered, cost me 150 + 35 Shipping and when it got to my door the UPS driver was standing there with his hand out looking for another $80.00. :fs1:

Due to that I try to stay within Canada for the heavy stuff if I can, I assume Leafs would be too heavy for USPS, although I guess it would be a good excuse for a road trip :cheers:

yeah got the same surprise with ups when I ordered my lift kit

altought the kit itself was well worth the price

The free arch on the lightest FSJ spring is around 5-1/2"; our lightest rear spring has around 7-1/2" of free arch; however, our Comanches weigh about 2/3 to 3/4 as much as a FSJ, so their springs will be much stiffer.

Good info, thanks. :cheers:

Here's some J20 rear springs for comparison:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-rea ... ccessories

343643311_o.jpg

Fat in the middle, and tapering towards the ends (looks like they'd be big $$$ to reproduce that)

I don't think I've ever seen a 3 leaf pack where ALL the leafs were FULL length!!:

343643324_o.jpg

You could make 3 sets of 1-ton MJ AAL's with them. :rotfl2:

343643330_o.jpg

Or bolt them in as-is for a 'Metric Deuce & A Half MJ'. :yes: :smart:

Hmm, there is an 88 Grand Waggy in my local U-pull. I saw the front leaf sprung D44 in it. It was a 360 V8. Didn't check out the rear leafs. Wonder if they were 3 full length leafs like the pic above?

I would like to go SOA for better ground clearance, but don't want 5"+ of lift. Added capacity would be a plus. 4" would be perfect.

Hellcreek, would your MJ MT springs give me 4" of lift on my shortbed SUA?

Our MT springs will give about 1 to 2 inches of lift on a standard MJ. They will give no lift on a Metric Tonne MJ, since they are stock springs for those trucks. If you use them over the axle, you will have at least 5 inches of lift and probably a little more.

If I am getting the message, you want to go SOA & not get any lift? If so, wouldn't you need a spring that sat lower than stock? I wonder if an XJ pack SOA on an MJ would get you close to the SUA height?

I think what Comanche09 is looking for is the same as me, a way to go spring Over, but only net about 4" of lift. I am going to try the Explorer leafs, as I have access to a few of them, I also have access to leafs off a J10 but after looking at those and going by what hellcreek has said I don't think they will work for my intended purpose.

I may have to just bite the bullet and order a set of lift springs and stay spring under.

Right now my SOA MJ is sitting pretty low in the back,

I'm using an MJ main leaf, with XJ leafs underneath.

I don't have that many good pics of it, but here's the back with a 33"x10" tire on a 16" wheel:

Judge the height for yourself, but I'd guess 2-3".

The reason for the low height is it's currently unregistered,

once I put it on the road that first inspection sticker is always a little tougher to get,

so I'm keeping it low for now.

I don't have that many good pics of it, but here's the back with a 33"x10" tire on a 16" wheel:

once I put it on the road that first inspection sticker is always a little tougher to get,

good to know, thanks for the pic, did you use all of the cherokee springs in it minus the main leaf ?

good to know, thanks for the pic, did you use all of the cherokee springs in it minus the main leaf ?

:yes:

MJ main leaf + everything but the XJ main leaf (with MJ shackles).

how much support does that give to the MJ main leaf? My mains weren't getting enough support from the MJ second leaf and that was one of the big reasons I added another MJ main in as an AAL. I'm assuming the XJ second leaf would be even shorter.

Just for added info , I ran stock non metric MJ leafs and factory shackles on a Tera Flex SOA with an XJ D44 , the lift ended up being 6" in the rear without metric leafs , so in

using longer shackles or metric leafs should net at least 6.5" in the rear with the SOA . That being said with the set up that I used had the stock spring rate as a MJ should but

I did loose some load capability . If I throw 300 to 400= pounds in there it saggs more than it did with the SUA set up . My opinion is to get a spring pack close to the same

measurements as stock with just a tad more spring rate , maybe even the stock ratio would be perfect if they were not 20 years old . My springs ride smooth and I still have the ability to tow and throw weight in the bed with 0 problems , I just can't throw as much weight as I did with SUA .