Tranny coolers

Who is running them and how and where did you mount it?

I am looking to add one in-line, before the cooler in the radiator. NOT to the front of the radiator. the reason is to try to keep temps stable, attaching it to the radiator will only further restrict airflow through the radiator. I want it somewhere out of harms way, but where it gets good airflow. I may need to add a fan. I picked up a B&M universal for a midsized vehicle.

Before I do anything I wondered if any of you guys did this. What did you do and how did it work.

CW

Who is running them and how and where did you mount it?

I am looking to add one in-line, before the cooler in the radiator. NOT to the front of the radiator. the reason is to try to keep temps stable, attaching it to the radiator will only further restrict airflow through the radiator. I want it somewhere out of harms way, but where it gets good airflow. I may need to add a fan. I picked up a B&M universal for a midsized vehicle.

Before I do anything I wondered if any of you guys did this. What did you do and how did it work.

CW

I love to see some info on this too.

I run sticks so I haven't put much thought into how I would do it, but from my interweb readings, if it doesn't go in front of the rad then a fan is a must and protection from rocks and road debris is also very important. :thumbsup:

ya, i put mine in front of the radiator. imo it doesn't restrict flow, and besides every renix i've owned runs cool. my mj doesn't see 195 in the summer time.

i installed my trans temp gauge sender right off the output cooler line, i figured i wanted to know the hottest part of the trans. others said to put it on the return, but i'd rather know how hot it is right as it comes out to be cooled. trans temp stays nice and low most of the time, and i've gotten it up to as much as 210, but very rarely. usual temp runs around 160-180

Ditto, in front of the radiator, (actually in front of the A/C condenser) on the belt-driven fan side. Been there since the truck was new, never overheated, and tranny usually runs about 170 with trailer, as much as 220 in stop & go. Temp gauge sensor at the hottest point, the tranny output line. Never seen it over 220. It's plumbed in series with the radiator cooler, so as not to overcool in the winter (flows to aux cooler first, then into radiator, and back to tranny). Been coast to coast several times, all kinds of traffic and terrain.

Ive always wondered about mounting one of those extruded aluminum tube type coolers inside of another tube, like a galvanized pipe, and then mounting a bilge type fan on one end. This way you could mount it like up under the bed high up, the cooler would be protected, and it would have airflow. The bilge fan is waterproof, so no worries about getting it wet. You could mount a temp sensor and temp switch inline to have the fan go on and off when needed. If youre not sure what type cooler I'm talking about just let me know and Ill find a pic or link. They usually sell them in street rod magazines. Pretty cool stuff!

Apples and oranges, but my CTD dually with an A518 auto had the cooler under the bedside from the factory and it had its own fan . I surrounded with expanded metal to allow air flow but to stop a lot of road debris. If you looked under there on the MJ, I'd bet you find a place with minimal debris spray by looking at dirt patterns that already exist. The negative is that wiring an aux. fan is a must and isolated mounting would be needed if noise was a concern. The plus is that I beat the crap out of that truck for 180,000 miles and never had a tranny issue.

My XJ:

HD Hayden cooler (fin & tube) - mounted midway between mech. fan and e-fan with a 1" spacer between the condenser and cooler. No quick-discos, all flared fittings with hose barbs and clamps.

Summer mode: No radiator loop. Tranny, cooler, tranny.

Winter mode: Move 1 hose to radiator loop and add a hose back to cooler.

Temp gauge has only been past 180 once (up to 220) in 2+ years.

MJ is a 5 speed.