MJ newb question

Hi guys!

I've been lurking around here for a while.

I'm new to the MJ build up but not new to jeeps. We have his and hers 03 rubicons running 36" Iroks and terra LCG lifts for our wheelers.

I have an 88 4X4 short box 4.0 automatic, an 87 4X4 4 banger short box stick (parts for the 88 ), and just brought home a REALLY clean 91 short box automatic that has been converted to 4wd.

The 91 Eliminator is SOA with a stock set of jeep wheels and wore out 15x32x11.50's.

The 91 is getting done first.

My question is what size tires can I run without cutting the fenders? I'm considering buying the RE full suspension kit for the front. It has stock arms and a few other issues. The rear is SOA.

I have a new set of 15X8 american racing wheels with 3 3/4 back spacing. I'd like to keep the tires from sticking too far outside the fender flares. Keeping more of a stock look.

After I work out a few of the mechanical issues, it will be going in for minor body work and new paint. I have a guy that is even recreating the Eliminator graphics for me. :D

Thanks,

Tim

I think 33s might do it but it may be alittle to much. And you may have rubbing issues with the wheels but I'm not to sure. The rub will most likely be when flexing and it will be on the rear on the frame rails.

Cole

how much total lift? the 2wd leaf packs are about an inch shorter than the 4wd ones.

I know someone that runs 33's without rubbing and some bumpstopping up front on his SOA lift.

the rear wheel wells aren't a problem, the front's a smaller opening.

how much total lift? the 2wd leaf packs are about an inch shorter than the 4wd ones.

I know someone that runs 33's without rubbing and some bumpstopping up front on his SOA lift.

the rear wheel wells aren't a problem, the front's a smaller opening.

Good question about the lift. I'm not sure. I've been doing searches here and found the thread about the springs being different on the 2wd models.

The rear clears the 32's and looks good. The fronts are rubbing the lower control arms because of the backspacing on the stock jeep wheels. The truck has a slight rake with the rear sitting higher. The front part of the lift is just a set of springs I don't recognize and longer shocks as far as I can tell.

With the 2wd spring packs providing less lift on a soa. I wonder if the RE kit would be to tall for the front?

I have a spring pack from my 87 4wd parts truck I could swap in I guess if I ran into that problem.

I guess my question should have been specific about the $1100 RE kit. I need tires before I do anything and didn't want to buy the wrong size tires. The pro comps have the buy 3 get 1 free thru the end of October, I'm running short on time if I want those tires.

I was hoping someone with the RE lift would have an opinion. :dunno:

That ProComp sale is perpetual. It's been going on for months now and even if they did stop it soon, they'll restart it again in a little bit. ProComp is 4wheelparts' own brand and they push them as much as possible since they make the most money on them. :D

That ProComp sale is perpetual. It's been going on for months now and even if they did stop it soon, they'll restart it again in a little bit. ProComp is 4wheelparts' own brand and they push them as much as possible since they make the most money on them. :D

x2.

and they raise the price of the tires so you're not really getting one "free" It's more like buy 4 and get $50 off.

I suggest you look into Maxxis tires. Best bang for the buck, I'm likely going to get some buckshots myself, and I know a few people with the bighorns that like them plenty.

x2.

and they raise the price of the tires so you're not really getting one "free" It's more like buy 4 and get $50 off.

I suggest you look into Maxxis tires. Best bang for the buck, I'm likely going to get some buckshots myself, and I know a few people with the bighorns that like them plenty.

Thanks for the tire info guys. Sales pitch from my local 4X4 shop. :brows:

Where do you buy tires from?

My local hookup sells Interco and Firestone. The Interco's are out. Round tires with good wear and street manors are a must for the trucks. I ran Revo Dueller AT's on my Durango, but they are up over $150 a tire. I was hoping to get ATs a little cheaper.

I think you are going to have tire to frame clearance issues with the narrow back spacing of those wheels. Before you spend on new tires, you may want to find a cast off to mount up and put on your truck in the rear just to see how close it is.

I think you are going to have tire to frame clearance issues with the narrow back spacing of those wheels. Before you spend on new tires, you may want to find a cast off to mount up and put on your truck in the rear just to see how close it is.

I have 5" BS with 11.50s rubbing on the lower control arms in the front.

I'm going to 3.75" BS. I'm gaining 1.25" and only adding .5" on the tires if I go to 12.50's.

I've found that 3.5" to 4.0" of BS is usually good on a TJ to run 12.50s. Since the front ends are close in design, I figured the same on the MJ.

Is there something that I'm missing?