MJ Dana 44 Help

O.K., I guess I screwed up. I've been overhauling my junkyard Dana 44 as time and money permit. Finally got the new axle bearings, seals, etc. put on and had the local machine shop open up the 10"x1 3/4" Dana 35 backing plates to fit the 44, got all new brake parts and shoes, and, to begin the assembly, I installed a new pinion yoke seal. Specs I had were 200-220 ft/lbs. for the pinion nut, so, beginning at 150 ft/lbs., I torqued it down in 10 ft/lb. increments, testing how the pinion play and rotation felt after each click of the torque wrench. Everything was good through 210 ft/lbs., but I just had to go for 220! Rats! Now it feels "sticky", and has increased backlash. The tech at the local machine shop says that I probably over-crushed the crush sleeve. Trouble is, everything I've found on these axles says that they're not a crush sleeve type. What did I do? Crush the preload shims? I haven't had a chance to open it up and knock the pinion shaft out to survey the damage. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for when I do? I want this to be right, as I'm planing an LS-1 swap in the future and I want to use this axle. Thanx, Spence.

Thre is no crush sleeve on the Dana 44.

in that case just back the nut off and start over. if it won't get right after that then you can trash the new seal and check that everything is ok... but i doubt 10 extra ft/lbs broke anything, probly just got it over-tight like a wheelbearing

The inner pinion bearing race might never have been in all the way but that would be EXTREMELY odd. It is not really possible to crush the preload spacers.

Try it again by taking it off and re-installing and see what happens.

If that does not work, undo the bearing caps on the diff, pull the carrier out and start taking the pinion out. Since all the shims are there you really can't mess anything up (unless you loose a shim). Inspect it. Put the pinion in and tighten it and see how it feels then if all is good then put the differential back in. Measure your backlash and all should be good.

This stuff really is not rocket science.

The D44 does use a crush sleeve, and if you over-torqued it you have to buy a new sleeve and a new seal and a new pinion nut and start over.

The instructions are the same as I posted yesterday for doing a Dana 35. You don't measure the torque on the nut. You measure the preload by how many INCH-pounds are required to turn the pinion. You do this when the center section is not installed, so you aren't turning the rung gear, only the pinion.

BTW -- no amount of over-torquing the crush sleeve should have affected the backlash, since the pinion depth is controlled by shims inside the housing, and the crush sleeve is on the outside. If the backlash changed, there was something wrong with the assembly before you put the torque wrench to it.

The D44 does use a crush sleeve, and if you over-torqued it you have to buy a new sleeve and a new seal and a new pinion nut and start over.

The instructions are the same as I posted yesterday for doing a Dana 35. You don't measure the torque on the nut. You measure the preload by how many INCH-pounds are required to turn the pinion. You do this when the center section is not installed, so you aren't turning the rung gear, only the pinion.

BTW -- no amount of over-torquing the crush sleeve should have affected the backlash, since the pinion depth is controlled by shims inside the housing, and the crush sleeve is on the outside. If the backlash changed, there was something wrong with the assembly before you put the torque wrench to it.

You are wrong.

No crush sleeve in the XJ/MJ D44..the pinion bearing spacing and preload relies on shims.

I just verified this with the SoCal Naxja gear guy as my 44 didn't use a crush sleve and wanted to see how the others might have been.

Early Dana 44s used a crush sleeve but not the XJ/MJ 44s. The 60's and some 70's Jeep rear 44's had crush sleve's, I also have done a waggy 44 (not sure on the year, passenger side drop) had a crush sleve.

I've been overhauling my junkyard Dana 44 as time and money permit.

Probably should verify which D44 he has since there have been many different versions over the years.

The title said 'MJ Dana 44 Help' so I can only assume it is the MJ D44 he speaks of.

O.K., I guess it either does or doesn't have a crush sleeve. I'll tear it back down and we'll see. Just to further complicate things, I got the Spicer/Dana exploded view for the axle. This drawing had the basic "explosion" showing no crush sleeve, with an insert "explosion" showing the crush sleeve version! BTW, my axle is an '88 MJ, P.N.8953004694, a 3.54:1 non-limited slip. My MJ is an '88 2WD Eliminator SWB w/ the factory roll bar that I'm whipping into a little street machine. Anyone know where I can get a pair of 2" shorter front coils? Rollpan? Airdam? Thanx, Spence.

NO CRUSH SLEEVE.

God has spoken. :rotfl2:

lol. I figured the caps lock would get the point across. you know, probably a good idea to take information from those of us that have actually dealt with dana 44's in the MJ's, rather than people who haven't and are basing their information off of wrong information that their informants gave them.

A bit more tact would be beneficial. :D FWIW, I've been through every parts manual I have (I have many), and the XJ/MJ version D44 axle makes no mention of a crush sleeve. Only shims.

That is because there isn't a crush sleeve on them.

It is pretty obvious when you open it up and it is not there......

A bit more tact would be beneficial. :D FWIW, I've been through every parts manual I have (I have many), and the XJ/MJ version D44 axle makes no mention of a crush sleeve. Only shims.

probably...but you know me.

You are wrong.

No crush sleeve in the XJ/MJ D44..the pinion bearing spacing and preload relies on shims.

Then my Jeep Comanche FSM is wrong. The crush sleeve (which they call a collapsible spacer) is discussed on page H-46 in how to replace the pinion seal, it is shown in the exploded diagram on page H-50 (part # 15), it is mentioned on page H-52 under removing the pinion, it is stated on page H-60 that "The collapsible spacer controls the pinion bearing preload. Do not reuse the old spacer, Use a replacement spacer only." and installation and torquing of the collapsible spacer to set preload is discussed on page H-60.

I'll open it up tomorrow evening and see what I hath wrought. If it doesn't have a crush sleeve (and I know that God and a 'Baman with a dog that smokes have spoken), I'll check back in for procedure and specs. Thanx, Spence.

You are wrong.

Then my Jeep Comanche FSM is wrong. The crush sleeve (which they call a collapsible spacer) is discussed on page H-46 in how to replace the pinion seal, it is shown in the exploded diagram on page H-50 (part # 15), it is mentioned on page H-52 under removing the pinion, it is stated on page H-60 that "The collapsible spacer controls the pinion bearing preload. Do not reuse the old spacer, Use a replacement spacer only." and installation and torquing of the collapsible spacer to set preload is discussed on page H-60.

I think if I had a nickel for every mislabeled illustration in my '90 FSM, I could retire. Wait a minute, I am retired... :doh:

My FSM has the D35 and the D44 in different sections, and the D35 narrative describes the crush sleeve, but the illustrations are exactly the same in both sections :hmm:

Shows 'em both with spacers and preload shims....

FWIW, a lot of the wiring diagrams are screwed up, too.

You are wrong.

So you have no first hand knowledge of this and are looking at manuals? :shake:

Just take one of them apart and you'll see.

The FSM is great, but not infallible. For instance look in the 91 (and probably other years too) body and chassis manual under MJ service brakes, and tell me whether an MJ has front leaf springs or coil springs from the factory (the diagram showing MJ front brake line routing shows spring-under leafs.) I got a good laugh out of that one.