Poll: Does your MJ have the original rear bumper?

beepbeepmyredjeep

Does your MJ have a factory rear bumper?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Does your MJ have a factory rear bumper?

• I own a MJ with the original rear bumper
    • I own a MJ with a replacement factory/OEM bumper
    • I own a MJ with a custom made rear bumper
    • I own a MJ that used to have a rear bumper, but I took it off and put the bumper on another MJ
    • What's a rear bumper? One of those things that's supposed to be under the tailgate? PFFT!

As far as I Know the bumper I built & installed is the original (1st) bumper installed on this MJ. No signs or indications one was on it from factory & license plate light was for non-bumperized vehicle.

It had to have one from leaving the factory. That plate light was on some MJ's from factory hidden up there...

Rob L.

My 87 Sportruck DIDNT have one from the factory. It had the light mounted to the bed under the tailgate with factory connectors. The Cherokee bumper is this trucks first bumper ever. The original owner made absolutely no modifications to this truck.

Wasn't there a time when, if you didn't order your new truck with a rear bumper package, all you got was a plate light/mount?

I remember seeing a lot of trucks running around without rear bumpers. Think it had something to do with truck impact safety standards, or lack of having to meet the standard because the vehicle was a truck?

My current MJ has a factory step bumper,to be replaced with a tube bumper I got from 1999MJ. My original 88, I ordered sans bumper, because IIRC they wanted $300 which was not in the budget.

I still have the original bumper on mine. Or it used to be a bumper. Now it's a rotted, rusted, mangled mess of steel.

But it's still attached.

You and me both...

I *think* I have the original OEM bumper on it. I know I have an OEM bumper on it for sure :brows: but it's so rusty that one of the mounts is nearly falling off, the stiffener/hitch mounting tube welded into the bottom edge is completely gone, and it literally flaps in the wind as I drive. Just picked up another OEM bumper in much better shape from a fellow NAXJA member, going to be giving it a full once-over and replacing the stiffener with new tubing before I install it. My old bumper is getting some custom brackets built and is going onto another NAXJA member's XJ :rotf: I thought it was a crazy idea at first but we held it up and it actually will look pretty awesome!

As far as I Know the bumper I built & installed is the original (1st) bumper installed on this MJ. No signs or indications one was on it from factory & license plate light was for non-bumperized vehicle.

It had to have one from leaving the factory. That plate light was on some MJ's from factory hidden up there...

Rob L.

My 87 Sportruck DIDNT have one from the factory. It had the light mounted to the bed under the tailgate with factory connectors. The Cherokee bumper is this trucks first bumper ever. The original owner made absolutely no modifications to this truck.

Wasn't there a time when, if you didn't order your new truck with a rear bumper package, all you got was a plate light/mount?

I remember seeing a lot of trucks running around without rear bumpers. Think it had something to do with truck impact safety standards, or lack of having to meet the standard because the vehicle was a truck?

Well I guess it makes sense, seeing as if you get rear ended youve got 6.5-8 feet of "crumple zone" beween you and the other car.

Take that volvo! :chillin: