Trailer hitch delema

The post was by mkbruin in this thread

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18297

The hitch is a Reese 37042 , universal fit, sold at WallyWorld, and Advance Auto Parts, among others, about $130. mkbruin said it bolted right on , without modification, 'tho it was not listed as an mj fitment. He also mentioned that Reese doesn't show the product on their website, but shows the 37152 instead, which he said looks the same. Here's the link for the pdf install manual for the 37152 from Reese.

http://www.reeseprod.com/fitguides/pdf/N37152.pdf

It's listed as fitting the xj, but not the mj. I'm about to check out the 37042 myself. I've got a Fey step bumper rated 3500/350 and have been pulling a 4000# boat with it for the last year with no problems, but for obvious reasons I've been looking for a hitch. I've seen it in the box on the shelf, and its a Class III/IV, 5000 #, 500# t.w. (6000/600 with wt. dist.)

yep, bolted on no issue.

used it to tow a 16ft flatbed w/ a dodge demon from Denver to Phoenix, then tow a porsche back from phoenix to denver.

Works perfect.

Well, I don't know what the difference is between my '90 LB and mkbruin's '88 LB, but I just bought the Reese 37042 and there's no way it's going to bolt on (reference earlier posts on pg 1, this thread). Rails on the truck are around 45" apart, and the only way to extend the 37042 that far (very last mounting holes on center piece) is to use the extra side brackets, turned out, as in "side bracket location 4" (pg 3, installation manual) and bolt it to the underside of the rail. None of the holes line up with the one and only hole with a welded-on nut and the other hole, which doesn't have any threads, meaning I'd have to drill, but would have to do so right next to the unthreaded hole (weak) and I'd still only have two bolts holding the whole thing up. Could drill one more hole in the middle, maybe, but that's still two strong points and one weak one, and that last hole on the bracket definitely sits well off and behind the frame rail. Like I said, I don't know what gives, but I'm a little bummed. Price is down to $114 at Wally World, if anyone else wants to try. I'm heading back to town to get my money back.

It looks like this thread is dead but I'm hoping you all can help me out. I've got a '90 LB and I need to get a hitch since the bumper is banged up (PO must have backed into a tree or something). Can anybody comment on how the Reese 37042 or 37152 fit on the '90 LB. The 37042 is $260 and the 37152 is $190 up in Canada so I'm hoping one or the other will fit since they're both available. I don't mind drilling a few holes to make them work as long as I'm not compromising any structural integrity. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also recommend Krustyballer's hitch.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/49608-krustyballer-fabrications/

Especially with shipping to the Great White North it didn't come as cheap as the Reese universal hitches may seem (I think when I got mine just over a year ago it worked out to around $350 and I don't think the exchange rate has improved). but the fit is perfect, no-hassle bolt-on with existing holes, as if it were a factory part. 100% worth it in my mind. I just wish I'd put a couple more coats of paint on mine, but I suppose it now matches the aesthetic of my truck a bit better than something shiny and new-looking.

It says that it's unrated, but I'm guessing he based his hitch off the class 3 hitch right? I couldn't find any info in the thread. Have you had any success towing with it? I plan on having this truck be my workhorse so I'd need it to be able to pull a 3000 lb trailer reliably. 

He made a copy of the Drawtite hitch.  I have a bumper Krusty built for me.  His weld quality is EXCELLENT.  If I did not have an original Drawtite hitch already, I would buy his hitch in a second and use it without any hesitation.

Honestly, his hitch is a bargain at the price.  There are no quality short cuts.  The steel he uses for the hitch brackets is actually thicker than the Drawtite hitch.

I actually have a set of his hitch brackets and compared them to the Drawtite hitch brackets.

Lastly, I suggest you powder coat the hitch.  I sand blasted, primed and painted the bumper he made for me.  Frankly, baked on powder coating will last longer and not cost anything more than the quality primer and paints I used.

I haven't pulled anything over 3000lbs yet, my rear springs and brakes aren't great and I'm not wired for a trailer) although I've used it as a recovery point and I've yanked 1/2- and 3/4-ton trucks out of ditches with it (shackle mount in the receiver) and it's held up just fine. I'd trust it for the 5000lbs the Drawtite is rated for, easily. When it showed up at work everyone who saw it was impressed with the quality of it and how beefy it looked.

And yeah, powder coating's a good idea. There's just nowhere close to me that would do it at the time.