Need to completely redo the exhaust.

Hey MJer's

I got the truck painted ( I am quite proud of the rattle can job) and the bed liner worked out well- Herculiner is good stuff! Thanks to the pointers on getting the bed off for rust prevention.

BUt now I need to make this thing sound better- It has a glass pack welded to the Cat and the pipe has rusted out just over the axel. Not pretty. Oh yeah the header is cracked as well. Hence the complete replacement.

I know of a few manufactures that make some good products Flowmaster, etc. But has anyone ever done the WHOLE system?

Rusty was scratching his head on that one, he dosen't make a cat back forthe MJ's yet. I do have access to a pipe bender at he auto hobby shop, but have never used one before.

So the question is this: has anyone ever done the whole system and what muffler, catalytic maker s do you recommend?

thanks much!

Magnaflow makes a good cat (if you can't find a shop to just hack it off and straight pipe it) the magnaflow cat will be a universal type but they fit good. I have used two on different vehicles. And as for headers, muffler, or a cat-back system look to Gibson. They have very good mufflers. Their cat-back system is for a cherokee but it may fit a comanche. Their exhaust has a good mellow tone that isn't obnoxious. And Gibson is also easy on the wallet. If you want a good loud tone look to Corsa.

well on my 86 i just dualed it with dual glasspacks and no cats. my 91 has a cat and a 40series flowmaster, but living in ohio i will have to repace the whole thing soon. then i will take it to muffler house since they will hack the cats off and stright pipe it. i am going with a y-split and one of those heavyduty headers so it does not crack on me with this HO.

Alex

mines just a muffelr with a turn down before the axle. I found that the extra exhaust behind the axle simply got hung up on things and was in the way when I wheeled.

That's what I run. I have 2 1/2" from the motor flared into 3" just before the muffler, 3" in and out Corsa muffler to a 3" turn down before the axle.

I have a massive Borla under my 88. It's nice and quiet when idling, with just a bit of rumble. Nothing obnoxious until I step on the gas. :D I like it.

I bought a used dual system for my 90 and am real interested in what it sounds like. Someday I might find out. :(

i ran a hushpower II with no cat on the TJ with the I6 and it sounded like crap. flowmaster classic 40 sounded good at idle and like a ricer when rps rise. removing the muffler and leaving the cat sounds just like a ricer, like a fart machine. a stock muffler will give a louder tone but doesnt make it sound like a ricer and is quiet enough to be a hunting vehicle (running this setup on my TJ, its not bad).

my mj is straight pipes and though loud, it sounds ten times better than all the trucks at my school.

I have a Doug Thorley header on the 4.0 in my YJ its well made and cheap

Cheap? Where and how much?

I got it from Summit i think it was $330 for the chrome one but that was 3 or so years ago looks like the prices have gone up on them. At the time it was around $100 cheaper than borla and banks. I have a borla cat back on my YJ and i don't like the thin steel they use, muffler cracked but borla honored the warranty. if there headers are as thin as there cat backs i wouldent expect them to hold up to long.

I like my corsa muffler it uses reflected sound cancellation so it is whisper quiet at steady cruising speeds like at 2000 rpm. But it sounds like a friggin' locomotive idling and accellerating, I love it. But I also have a V8. The 4.0L don't sound bad with a little growl though. jamminz.gif

That Doug thorley sounds good- Thanks for all the good info.

It sounds like the money will be spent on the header and the high flow cat, a stock muffler/ Auto zone job will work just fine with a turn down right before the rear axel.

Rock on guys! jamminz.gif

What year is your MJ and what engine does it have? for some reason i assumed it was a 4.0 and i forgot that doug thorley only makes a header for the 4.0 HO not the renix injected. If its a 2.5 the only places i know of that make a header is banks, clifford performance and maybe borla.

Nice MJ by the way it looks exactly like mine :D