the work truck

Well here it is...

1986 LWB

2.5 TBI

AX5 (?)

disco 30 and a turdy five w/3.54 gears

My first MJ is well used from working and will continue to get abused by me.

My plans for the time being are to first get it looking better. I need it to go to jobs and would not like to look like Fred G. Sanford pulling into the sub-division.

The engine is tired and it needs a clutch. I will check compression and see where that leads.

The worst part is the paint and body work.

The rust isn't so bad. This is about the worst of it...

The paint on the other hand is just fubar'd...

I already have some XJ parts kicking around to add a budget boost (need shackles) and some 31" BFGs. I want to put a ladder rack on it and spray the bed with some liner product. But I'm truly fighting the demon inside me that says, "put those locked GW axles under it" :grrrr:

I do have a pile of FSJ axles to play with... :nuts:

I think he said before that it was barn paint rolled on it. But it looks like it was poured on and left to dry. :teehee: But i can't say much I sprayed my with walmart cans and no 2 spots contrast the same. but it looks Ok in pics. Just picking at ya Casey. got to do what ya got to do adn you done it. Nice project though. Good luck and if you need anything I have plenty of spare parts here at Shaw and back in Brevard NC so let me know.

Cole

I think he said before that it was barn paint rolled on it. But it looks like it was poured on and left to dry. :teehee: But i can't say much I sprayed my with walmart cans and no 2 spots contrast the same. but it looks Ok in pics. Just picking at ya Casey. got to do what ya got to do adn you done it. Nice project though. Good luck and if you need anything I have plenty of spare parts here at Shaw and back in Brevard NC so let me know.

Cole

The 97 cent stuff? That stuff kicks @$$! Painted my Yota that 2 paint jobs ago.

Looks like fun. However, a budgest boost on GWs seems kinda :nuts: .

Yah, I plan on keeping this truck for a LONG TIME. Next year I'm going all out with a basecoat/clearcoat royal blue metallic on the body and will then be getting a true Rhino lining along the rockers and in the bed. Put that with the new chrome grille and aluminum bedbox and the new bumpers I plan on fabbing myself and you can see why the little things like those '86 badges would make a difference. I only want them if they are in good shape as of now, if a pair in good shape is hard to find I guess I'll take what I can get. If you can and wouldnt mind getting me a pair I'd really appriciate it. I can have some cash to you quickly. They shouldn't be that much...? I'm in no rush, paint won't go on for about 6 months or so. So, don't make a trip to the yard just for these, pick em up when you are there next. Thanks In advance, Brent

Looks like fun. However, a budgest boost on GWs seems kinda :nuts: .

:shake:

Never heard of such a thing.

looks like stevie wonder painted it

That's just what I said! Stevie Wonder and Jeff Healy painted it.

I've decided to get some doors, fenders and a hood, rather than try and strip the barn paint. The bed aint so bad...Stevie and Jeff must have been running out of paint or beer.

Nooooo, there are '86 decals on that truck and they are painted over.... I am looking for a pair for mine. :brows:

not only that but there is also red paint on the awsome 10 slot chrome grille. lol. but that is one nice 50 footer. i used rustoleum gloss black on my 86 and it turned out real well. it blends together nice too. plus the shine goes away after awhile and it is then sort of inbetween gloss and flat.

Alex

• 4 months later...

Well I've done nothing to this rig...yet.

I've been working on my FSJ trail rig, trying to get the cage built, 60s regeared and in the thing.

I did pick up a 1993 2.5 and computer. I just need the engine harness and I'm ready to upgrade the engine.

Also got a parts XJ w/8.25 rear that I'll probably SOA and use in the MJ. 27 spline but better than the 35..IMHO. Got some other parts off it as well. The 4.0 is going into another FSJ project tho'. 8)

I really can't wait to get it done, I need something that gets over 14 mpg. :D

Hey its been awhile since I posted so don't be alarmed. I just wanted to say when you do the motor swap take lots of notes and do a really good write up casue when i return to the states this is my first project. My motor is from a 91 but i think they are the same. Well just keep us posted.

Cole

EDIT: Also when i do mine i am using a donor YJ is there anything i am going to need to buy? Have you looked to see if the motor mounts line up? Any big issues you think might come up? I am getting everything that is 2.5 out of the YJ but i just wanted to see if there is anything i might need to buy extra cause i am trying to make a funding plan to do it and my rear axle swap and gears front and rear all at once.

• 2 weeks later...
did you get this truck off ebay?

Nah...I got it from my local FSJ junkyard.

His wife is starting a side yard of XJs and picked up 3 MJs. I said in passing I wanted an MJ 4x4, with a 2.5, and he called me.

The body...with the exception of the totally awesome paintjob...is nice and in fairly rust free condition. Well worth saving.

I may have found the engine harness. A few more things and I'll be able to do the swap.

Also when i do mine i am using a donor YJ is there anything i am going to need to buy? Have you looked to see if the motor mounts line up? Any big issues you think might come up? I am getting everything that is 2.5 out of the YJ but i just wanted to see if there is anything i might need to buy extra cause i am trying to make a funding plan to do it and my rear axle swap and gears front and rear all at once.

I got the engine and computer from a YJ. ;)

I'll take lots of notes and pics for ya.

Be safe over there. And thanks for serving. :USAflag:

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo Anything to report????? I am anxious to see how this goes. Where did you get a harness?? I am worried about that portion of the swap since it from a YJ not a XJ/MJ but i think it could work if not I will be on the hunt for something that will. Just thought i would check in and once you get this done and i get back maybe we can hit gulches after i finish mine. I will be planning a trip there around Sept (birthday present) or so. I got at least one othe MJ a YJ and TJ interested so far. Anyway thats not for awhile. I thought i would see if you had started the build.

Cole

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry. :oops:

This project is going to be slow going. I have to get my trail rig ready for the season...lots of changes to it this year. ;)

I'm still trying to find the correct harness. I need a '92-'95 XJ 2.5 harness.

I can't control myself. After trying to sell some Wagoneer axles (3.73s, drivers drop Lock Right fr/ centered rr w/ Det. True Track ) with not much luck.

I have some spring hangers, some waggy springs, and I think I'm going to sling those axles SOA on leaf springs, under the MJ.

So the YJ harness will not work for it??? That is important info for me. I will have to start a hunt to.

Cole

The dude cut the harness.. :headpop: ..I have no Idea why.

But no, I don't think it will work. I'll find out when I get my hands on one from an XJ. I've been PMing with a guy at naxja. Looks like I might get one out of north GA. All I 'll need at that point, are some gaskets for the motor and a power steering pump. And some quality time with the little truck.

• 5 years later...

So, many years have gone by with my MJ sitting behind a friend's shop. Finally dragged it back to the house and have it running and driving. Still looks like a toilet, runs...meh. Have it sitting on 31s w/no lift. Going to put my XJs pro comp lift springs up front and aal/shackles out back for 3" lift.

I drove it to URE and back second weekend in June for the FSJ East Coast invasion. Had trouble with my front axle disco and had to wheel it in 2wd low range. Have few pics of it and none on the trail as I was not able to keep up in 2wd. Did do Falls Dam and Saw Mill, however!

Clutch job was nasty... new clutch/master and slave

It's on jack stands in this pic

I'm thinking 5.2 or 5.9 swap from a ZJ comanche.gif

my bulldog alarm...