Just a fair warning

kro10000

I dunno how many of you fellow CCrs shop at OReillys, but if youre used to buying our house microguard filters, STOP... They are no longer Purolators, they are now Fram... Great cost cutting measures :fs1:

Ugh, I got a purolator. What's the deal? What's it gonna do to my truck? I'm noticing some higher oil pressures...

Purolator = Good

Fram = Bad

Sorry about the confusion. I have the NEW FRAM made filter. What's the problem with these? Bear in mind I have a Chevy 2.8 V6, though.

Purolator = Good

Fram = Bad

Sorry about the confusion. I have the NEW FRAM made filter. What's the problem with these? Bear in mind I have a Chevy 2.8 V6, though.

the filter element is junk, it doesn't filter.

the backflow preventer (check valve) is junk...it doesn't work. the point of the check valve is to keep oil in the top end between startups. so, since this doesn't work, rather than having an un-lubricated startup on only cold starts, you have un-lubricated startups on EVERY start.

end result, bad lifters, bad cam, bad valves.

Only Fram filters every 3000 miles for 260,000 miles from 1994 to 2010 and when sold it the 4.0 had no lifter noise, main or rod noise on start up after oil change nor on startup even after sitting for a few days, etc. I never had a problem with Fram filters.

Here's a site that lists all the differences between oil filters. Good read.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilte ... study.html

Oh yeah and frams are junk. Only Wix for me.

:agree: yes very good read. reminded me of when I was a kid watching my dad do oil changes on small airplanes. He would always cut open the old oil filter to look any sign that the engine was about to go bad.

I have been using the purolators since around 99, but I was told recently(by a mechanic buddy who cuts them open once in a while) that they changed their design and are now worse than frams, so I switched to oem from my local jeep dealer. They are the same price and seam a little better quality.

Last time I put a Fram on the MJ after i got it, everytime I would come to a stop my oil light would come on. Pulled it off after asking here and put on a NAPA Gold (made by WIX) and the problem was solved.

Yeah fram filters are notorious for low oil pressure. At hot idle on my XJ, the oil pressure would dip down below 10psi with a fram. When I switched to Wix, the psi would be steady at 20 psi.

Also, if you have a 4.0HO engine, you can run a bigger filter. It spins right on without any problems. The Wix part number is 51515, or just look for the same oil filter as a 5.0 mustang. A bigger filter means cleaner oil. :banana:

Thanks for the info. Over the past few years I have studied my favorite oils, lubes, and filters carefully. The number of changes in the same product is almost scary.

On a side note, I run the V8 F150 mobile1 filter.

What O Reillys do you work at? They are scares here. All I ever seem to find are Advance.