Axle nut question

if it comes right out you can reuse it

Cotter pins are a "once" use item, and should never be re-used :no:

Correct. One or both legs gets bent over 180 degrees to lock it in place. By the time you bend it, straighten it out for removal, then bend it again -- it's pretty well work hardened and on the ragged edge of failing. I confess to having reused them in an emergency, but it really is a "NO-NO!"

And no hubs come with cotter pins. The cotter pin is not part of the hub assembly, it's part of the stub axle assembly. Cotter pins are a "consumable" item in automotive repair shops. Tie rod ends sometimes come with replacements, but I can't remember anything else that does. If you don't have an assortment of cotter pins next to your toolbox, you're not a real Jeeper.

Correct. One or both legs gets bent over 180 degrees to lock it in place. By the time you bend it, straighten it out for removal, then bend it again -- it's pretty well work hardened and on the ragged edge of failing. I confess to having reused them in an emergency, but it really is a "NO-NO!"

And no hubs come with cotter pins. The cotter pin is not part of the hub assembly, it's part of the stub axle assembly. Cotter pins are a "consumable" item in automotive repair shops. Tie rod ends sometimes come with replacements, but I can't remember anything else that does. If you don't have an assortment of cotter pins next to your toolbox, you're not a real Jeeper.

i reuse cotter pins all the time, and actually have never had one break....(though i do realize its just a matter of time....

i reuse cotter pins all the time, and actually have never had one break....(though i do realize its just a matter of time....

That is your choice and so far you have been lucky. Cotter pins are WAY CHEAP. They are there to keep a critical nut from loosening. Why on earth would you want to take a chance of a catastrophic failure because you where too lazy to change a 20cent cotter pin??? Do what you like, but NOT changing to a new pin every time of foolishness..

CW