Hello all!

I have been reading in these forums for a number of months now and have gotten a

lot of great info and tips! Thank you to all.

It's been a number of months now that I've had my

1988 Comanche..off white/cream color (i think it's officially butterscotch?) color

standard bed, 4WD, 4.0L 5 speed transmission

here is what I have done so far....

tune up *new plugs, wires, cap/rotor

cleaned up/replaced some vacuum lines

new injectors

updated to open system cooling

new radiator, hoses, new thermostat, new water pump

upgraded to 4ga power and ground wires

upgraded to high output alternator

removed standard fan...put in electric from newer Cherokee...no controller yet...using direct jumper wire for now :ack:

until I figure out what best to use for auto thermo switch

HID lights

updated to newer style valve cover (no more oil in the air cleaner!!!)

painted grille

newly painted bumpers

washer bottle update into fender area

got double booster/brake master (not installed yet)

I think the arms are not the same with the factory... :wall:

what route should I go into making this work?

more recently:

new front rotors and Performance Friction pads (used these in numerous vehicles and am very happy with them)

acquired used 15" rims...

had them refinished outside of the US...

gold mesh with polished lips jamminz.gif

now, hopefully get my bigger tires tomorrow...possibly 31"s

question: i don't want to lift the MJ too much...

i was thinking 2" max...how should i go by doing this if i am trying to stay in a budget?

most of my parts upgrades I got from junkyard...except for the new necessities...otherwise other

parts are used.

can anyone help?

i will post pics as soon as i can...if I am able to already.

A cheap lift....coil spacers for the front, add a leaf spring in the rear...sheesh, yor post looks like u got alot done so far, waiting for pics..oh yeah, welcome

Thanks!

That is exactly what I was thinking...i saw local Autozone carry the

Energy suspension coil spacers..which are 1 3/4" lift for fronts...

do you think those are good?

what abt the add a leaf?

where do i get them? what kind is good?

i want to say that the kit comes for front and rear

for the Comanche at Autozone for the energy suspensions...

but does not give the detail or anything about leaf springs...

i don't think they are add a leafs..

Welcome to the club! if you want 2'' of lift get 2inch coil spacers and either a Add-a-leaf or shackles.

Thank you for the advice.

Any particular manufacturers/suggestions?

And where should I be looking to buy them for a good price?

:hmm:

:agree: i would like springs over spacers myself, but to each his own. An i would run an add a leaf in the rear

just to confirm...you prefer the V8 springs? instead of stock springs plus spacers?

I looked into Hell Creek for the add-a-leaf...and they are very reasonable.

I'll probably order those soon.

hope I get the tires tomorrow so I can get them mounted.

check out my other posts/pics

"My 1988" in Your project MJs

I see that you are in the fire service in NJ.

I am a firefighter in San jose..and I got this Comanche from our "Commander."

He has been in the department the longest and they will probably force him to retire later this year because

he is turning 70 yrs. old. And he is still on the line in one of the busiest Engines in the department.

I am building the MJ as a sort of a commemoration for him. He is a great leader and good friend.

:agree: i would like springs over spacers myself, but to each his own. An i would run an add a leaf in the rear

here's some other pics

my new radio with Bluetooth

new seat and shift boot upholstery

I did a two inch budget boost on my MJ when I first got it. The V8 ZJ coils only netted me half an inch. So I added a 1.5 inch spacer. In the back, I added the main leafs from an XJ for two inches.Then I added 245/75/16 tires (just under 31") on Moab wheels. These parts worked great for a few months, until I went SOA.

I don't see a problem running coil spring spacers on a street vehicle. Hell, now I have 3.5 inch coil springs with ACOS set at about 2.5 inches. And the ACOS is just an adjustable spacer.

I did a two inch budget boost on my MJ when I first got it. The V8 ZJ coils only netted me half an inch. So I added a 1.5 inch spacer. In the back, I added the main leafs from an XJ for two inches.Then I added 245/75/16 tires (just under 31") on Moab wheels. These parts worked great for a few months, until I went SOA.

I don't see a problem running coil spring spacers on a street vehicle. Hell, now I have 3.5 inch coil springs with ACOS set at about 2.5 inches. And the ACOS is just an adjustable spacer.

Great! thanks for the info.

I think the minimal for me would be fine. I don't plan on going hard core on this.

And it's kind of a budget build.

so, I might end up with coil spacers and add-a-leafs.

here's some other pics

my new radio with Bluetooth

new seat and shift boot upholstery

Your shifter looks like an uncircumcised....uh...... you know! Just looks wierd! But to each his own.... Keep up the good work!

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the club! As you've seen, manner folks on here are knowledgeable and ready to help you with whatever you ask. Seems like somebody has an answer, or where to look for one :thumbsup: And it's cool to see another fellow FF! I'm a volunteer in WA, and i noticed your seat cover. That's pretty sick! Where/how did you get that made? Would be cool to get/make something similar for my seat rebuilds i need to do... Keep us posted on any updates about you or the MJ!