your first mj...............

STERLING STINGER

I almost feel bad about how I got my truck...

I had friends with Rangers and S-10s and they were all 2wd trucks. My friends just loved their trucks and never had any issues in the winter... just throw some sand bags in the bed, right? I thought it was finally time for me to get a truck mostly due to the fact that all I ever had (minus my VW Beetle) was hand-me-down cars from my brothers. This was my second vehicle that was truly mine... probably why I have bought and sold several vehicles, but I still have my Beetle and my truck.

Anyway, I was looking around for a good used Ranger type truck and I found this 2wd Comanche thing by accident. The price was right: $750. Talking with the guy on the phone he told me that there was someone else looking at the truck but that he was coming on the weekend... first one with the cash gets it! If felt kinda bad about skipping in line to look at it, but I went to take a look and I was hooked! It's loud exhaust, 235s that always rubbed, and that smell of the seats (what is it about the seats in these trucks that smell wonderful?)... it was like driving a red and silver chariot ent down by the gods of Jeep just for me to find.

Why would I feel bad about my purchase? So, aside from my friends with their 2wd rides, I had this other friend with a tired old XJ that had been passed down from his uncle to his dad and finally to him. This thing was rough! He was madly in love with Comanches though... see where this is going? The first time he saw me driving the truck all of Satan’s demons and fiery wrath came spilling out of his mouth as if I ran over his sister as I pulled into his driveway. He was the other guy who was supposed to look at it.

Fast forward six years and I'm the only one left with a truck (not 2wd anymore) and the XJ guy still has it limping around on the road. He reminds me why he still drives the XJ just about every time I see him.

I love this little truck! Having owned two of them now I can't picture myself without one!

(I kick myself for not taking a picture of my truck when i first got it, but this is the oldest one I can find. Still a 2wd machine and on 31s.)

My first Jeep was a 72' J4000,

I daily drove that from 92-96, allong the way buying an 87' XJ for the girlfriend in 94.

I really liked the downsized Jeep (and 20mpg vs 8mpg), so I kept my eye out for an MJ.

Found a Black 89' Longbed MJ (Pioneer 4.0L/5spd/2wd) with 70K miles in November 96 for $2500.

I offered him $1500, and he took it.

Then I heard of a Red 88' Shortbed (Pioneer 4.0L/5spd/2wd) in December 96' for $500, so I bought that one too.

Daily Drove the 89' for a few years, while I built the 88'.

I really need to find & scan some pics of them both before I ruined them. :(

Uncle Sam sent me out to Charleston SC for a few months. while I was there I found a 91 GMC s-15 4X4 for $900.oo after diving it around for some time and wanting a stronger 4X4 i started looking for a jeep. so when uncle Sam sent me back out to Charleston SC for a second time I found a 86 XJ on Ebay for $450.oo. while looking on the web for info on how to fix/mod the XJ I leaned about the MJ and started to look for one. Four years later I finally found A 90 MJ for $600.oo no sooner then I get it home and my dad tells that my step brother has a 86 MJ sitting in the drive way that he can not fix. so $200.oo and long weekend 600 mile trip I now have five jeeps siting in front of my house.

My Family had owned a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Dealer and back in 2003 I was just about 15, I always wanted a Jeep Truck and a fella traded 1 in for $400. It was nothing but a rusty 88 Sport truck, with worn out suspension and some other small issues. My dad said Ill get this fixed up for you if you help sand it down and prep it for paint, so throughout the next 6 months or so after school everyday I would goto the Dealership Body shop and work on the truck. It was painted and fixed up and became my 1st vehicle for when I turned 16.

Since then Ive grown to love it even more and even though my Family sold that dealership in Aug. of 2008 I'm happy for everything ive learned about Jeeps over the years and will keep this truck untill i just can't drive it anymore, and the way these trucks are with their owners its possible it will outlast me image_209027.gif

Here is the oldest pics I can find of it.... This was probably only 2-3 months after I brought it home.

I always knew what a Comanche was since I was 5 years old. My uncle had a RED swb 4x4. I remember riding in that truck down to the lake threw all the mud puddles and such. He got divorced and the x got the truck. She destroyed it. The Comanche bug stuck in my mind for a long time after that. My Grandparents gave me a rusty 89 XJ for my first vehicle. So i was always the outkast at school being the only on who drove a Jeep.

I was at the gas station one day and a buddy of mine came rippin in the parking lot in a 1989 LWB 2x4 4 cylinder Comanche. No one besides me and him knew what the truck was. I told him that night if he wanted to get rid of it, I was the first one he should contact. He just thought it was just another pickup. It was very clean. A couple months later I was looking to sell my Arctic Cat ATV. He told me he would trade straight up for the Jeep pickup. That night, 30 below, I was out trying to get the wheeler loaded in the pickup and I was off to bring my new Jeep home. That was almost 5 years ago. He still regrets trading to this day! I still have the truck and its awaiting a drivetrain and front clip.

I bought a parts truck for the nice box and he ended up with the rest of the truck so I guess it works out. He put my old box on my old parts rig and its now sporting a ford 300-6 and 4 speed on 35s.

I currently have 3 mjs. (one extemely rusty mj is going for scrap tomorrow) So I have 2 rust free comanches now. jamminz.gif

actually it the comanche with the box sides off in my avatar thats going in for scrap tomorrow to fund my other comanche project.

I picked mine up almost on a whim back in 2007. It was a local CL find. I needed a small pickup and ran across it. I said to myself: Jeep? Pickup? Hmm interesting, I hadn't considered one before... $440 later and it was mine.

Taken early 2008 in nearly the condition I picked it up in:

Now, I've added a light bar, KCs, Mopar bug deflector, KC amber foglights, rear floodlight, a passenger mirror, a 1" Rocky Road lift, black headlight bezels and grille, headlight stone guards, different wheels, and on my second canopy for the bed.

Now its current state:

This past summer I totalled my '97 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and immediately started lookin for a new vehicle, I was torn between getting a truck and getting a Jeep (I've had the Jeep bug since my uncle taught me how to drive stick in his '94 Wrangler) When I got a text from my buddy saying that Jeep made a TRUCK it was all over, I hadn't even seen it and I wanted it, hahaha! A couple weeks later I bought that '88 SporTruck 4.0 SWB 4x4 through my buddy for $1500, turns out I actually bought it from Rob!

I picked mine up almost on a whim back in 2007. It was a local CL find. I needed a small pickup and ran across it. I said to myself: Jeep? Pickup? Hmm interesting, I hadn't considered one before... $440 later and it was mine.

I may have seen you in Redmond a few years back! :eek: My wife's family lives there and 2-3 years ago I was coming probably from the big wrecking yard (forget its name) :hmm: back into Redmond and saw a 'manche with a shell cross over going toward the Fred Meyer area! :clapping: I was going to chase you down, but the lights messed it up! :headpop: