Big Red-- now with new meats and Beadlocks

So here we go with the building spec of the eBay Special. First off I just want to say that is website along with the other one is great I have learned a lot and have gained a lot how ideals.

On the 24 of September I bought my newest member of family an 89 Jeep Comanche that a guy had started building. I will start at the front and go to the back I guess that would be the easiest.

• Front end has 6.5” Rubicon springs

• Some kind of home made track bar so I could pull it home Kansas City (hope to upgrade to the T&T Custom track Bar)

• Followed up with Rusty’s upper and lower control arms

• The front axel is an AWD one no vacuum line to worry about

• The motor is the 4.0 straight six (someday I hope to STROKE it out but that is down the road)

• Right now it is gone to have the stock 5 speed and t-case out of the 87 Comanche (the parts truck)

• And in the rear is the Ford 8.8 that needs some work gears to match the front and an axel on the passenger side (hope to upgrade to disc brake that is a must)

So this is what I have now and we'll see where it goes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah what you see is what the other guy has done.

Here is a list of thing that need to be done:

• Brakes all the way around it

• Shocks Rough Country (eBay)

• Sway bar disconnects (eBay) and sway bar form the parts truck

• Track bar (T&T custom)

• Upgrade to disc brakes on the back and fix the passenger side axle it’s bent a lot but the housing is good. I plan to go to wrench-n-go in Des Moines the said they might have one w/ disc brakes

• Install the tanny and t-case from the parts truck (those top bolts on the tranny are SOB to get out any trick to help me get those out) I have started taking both tranny out. The truck was two wheel drive but as you can tell it has been change over to 4x4

This is all the plan and I hope to have it on the road by spring we will have to see. I think that is it

If you take out the tranny cross member with a jack under your tranny you can tip the whole thing back (watch your fan doesn't go into the radiator) by lowering the jack. This is based on having done this effectively once, but I think someone else recommended it so that gives it a little more creedence.

• 3 weeks later...

I made some great progress with the part truck to day got the motor tranny and t-case out. Thinks for the tip that helped a lot if the guy that pulled the tranny before me hadn’t strip those top bolt :mad: Now I have to figure out how to get them out. Special thanks to my brother in-law who just happen to show up at the right time to help.

Plus I got a great deal on tires $20 for all 4 of them (33x12.5x15) there not great but the hold air or that what the guy said if nothing else there great for spares. Now I am looking for some steal wheel to go with them. I want to run something like 4.5” to 5” of back spacing.

I will be adding more pics as I go jamminz.gif

Is there any other parts you are looking for? I am in your neck of the woods often enough. (wheeling at Dan's MIOBI style jamminz.gif ) Are you a MIOBI member?

http://www.miobi.org :popcorn:

Will yes and no I am in need of a set of CHEAP axles 4.10 and a set of steel wheels 15” 4.5 to 5,6 back spacing something like that.Wrench and Go I think there the best bet in Des Moines to get my axles. I am not a member yet I have been wanting to go out and wheel a little but the wife’s truck is 2wd and it gets stuck on wet grass and the red truck as you can see it won't be up and going for a while but I am on there website a lot Toy 4 Tots seemed to turn out really great. I think I might have ran in to Comanche33 at Casey here in town after Labor Day run down there. There was him and an other red Comanche so I had to stop. Seeing two Comanche in this town at the same spot that I don’t know is hard for me not to stop say hi. So if these happen to be you guys that cool jamminz.gif

Will yes and no I am in need of a set of CHEAP axles 4.10 and a set of steel wheels 15” 4.5 to 5,6 back spacing something like that.Wrench and Go I think there the best bet in Des Moines to get my axles. I am not a member yet I have been wanting to go out and wheel a little but the wife’s truck is 2wd and it gets stuck on wet grass and the red truck as you can see it won't be up and going for a while but I am on there website a lot Toy 4 Tots seemed to turn out really great. I think I might have ran in to Comanche33 at Caseys here in town after Labor Day run down there. There was him and an other red Comanche so I had to stop. Seeing two Comanche in this town at the same spot that I don’t know is hard for me not to stop say hi. So if these happen to be you guys that cool jamminz.gif

That wasn't me, but I know that slacker. Watch the web site, there is a club meeting coming up if you want to come.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
Watch out the mj is very addictive.

Yes I no this is why I own 2 1/2 of them. And the wife, I think has the bug as well. She was telling me as soon as I get the red one done that hers is next. I think I am doing the leafs up front or that T&T long arm that you have on your truck man. That is really what got me going. Becouse before I met up with the both of you guys I never seen an upclose lifted MJ just the wife and that thing is 2wd and yes I liked it but it just didn't talk to me until that day so I guess I owe you a great thank you. That is one sick tuck me like alot jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

Thanks I have way to much time and money in it for sure. I would still like to find a box for it though. MIne is getting pretty rough. I am going to convert to the 97 up front pretty soon also. I just bought ahouse and progress has slowed down alot since. Oh well I have all winter.

By the way I was at wrench and go awhile back and there were 2 mjs a white longbox and red shortbox.

Just keep pulling wrenchs and you will get there.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it’s not exactly what I wanted but hey the darn gears match the front special thanks to Comancheon33 for the hook up. I have started to cut the spring perches off and I hope to have them off and the new ones welded on and under the truck before long. Just thought I would show off my new axle it's a stock Dana 35 out form an XJ with the most important part 3.55 gears.

Hey 33 I forgot to ask what year that XJ was I just want it for my records

The black truck is not mine that is Comancheon33 and the only reason I went to the d35 was just to get it on the road or in the mud. The issue was the front did not match the back. The front axle were 3.55 and the rear was 3.73 and I was going to go with the ford 8.8 but $$ got in the way and I want this thing on the road. So my plan is run this until it breaks and then builder it bigger and better

No I picked up a set of 35 BFG MTs from Dingman in Des Moines. Real nice rubber and a great price. I want a set of rock krawlers for my boggers and put the 35s on my alloys. I still need to get that tailgate but now this house has me busy till at least spring changing this and that.

Is yours getting any closer? Hows the brakes coming?

• 2 months later...

So it has been a long time since I have added anything to these so here we go. First off I don’t have a heated shop so the cold weather has slowed my progress on the old girl. But while it has been cold I have been gather parts to put my 8.8 with the right gears in the rear. I am going to run 3.55 for now to get things up and going more than likely with a mini spool. Also have been getting other things like shocks for the front, brake lines and some other thing as well. As you guys no I got new tires for it also I got my buckets installed tonight and I will be post those pic soon. So while I am laid off I am going to take the chance to get some of the little thing that seem to take the most time to get right done those things will be tranny and t-case and all the linkage. Plus get the front end done the brakes and drive shaft hook up. The stuff that takes money is going to be on hold until I get back to work.