Big Red-- now with new meats and Beadlocks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traded my 89 Caviler today to the junk yard for my 8.8 got the leafs and disc brakes. The car was junk and the wife wanted it gone so win/win makes the wife happy and me. Plus my stainless steel front brake lines showed up in the mail plus with the great weather that we have been having here it just been a great day. You guy weren’t lying when you said that 8.8 was heavy. More pic later when I start building the 8.8 so until then

You guy weren’t lying when you said that 8.8 was heavy. More pic later when I start building the 8.8 so until then

Yeah, they're good damn ooof. I put mine on tires ASAP so I could just roll it around.

I picked up another 'suzu axle today. I can heft it into the back of the cherokee by myself :D .

Yeah, they're good damn ooof. I put mine on tires ASAP so I could just roll it around.

yeah that was the plan but i just put it up on some jack stand for now so i could take of all the stuff i didn't need. But when i have to move it that is the only way i am going to move it.

A little update here and sorry no pics yet trimmed the front bumper to the frame rails and cut about 2” of fender so now the 33’s look small but at least I should have more room to flex. And after all the questions that I have asked about the new 8.8 I set the pinion at 10 degrees and called it good. That’s what the old axle was set at so we well see if it works or not. If all goes will I should be able to drive this thing in a month or so. :popcorn:

• 2 months later...

Not much to update here same list as be for but now I am trying to kick it in gear and pound this stuff out before the weekend I don’t think it will happen but here goes.

DATE: 5/21/07

REAR TO THE FRONT

1. Get the Ford 8.8 (DONE)

2. Welded the spring perches on (DONE)

3. Make shock mounts (DONE) and weld them on

4. Put on wheel spacer (have them just need to be installed)

5. Run brake lines for the rear axle side to side—need one more right side brake hose and some steel line

6. Need to get the brake hose that runs from the box down to the axle (DONE 6/5)

7. Bolt rear axle in place with u-bolts

8. Change rear diff fluids

9. Bolt driveshaft in

10. Fill t-case

11. Fill tranny

12. Hook the hydraulic hose up for the clutch and bleed it. (DONE6/6)

13. Put the Starter in (DONE 7/1)

14. Put the front brakes together (brake pads, rotors and caliber)(DONE 6/6)

15. Hook up the front brake lines (DONE 6/6)

16. replace a radiator hose(DONE 7/1)

17. Check all motor fluids

18. Bleed all the brakes

19. Install track bar (on order)

20. but in front drive shaft (needs a u-joint)

21. Put the seats (DONE 6/6)

22. Fix the hole in the driver side floor board

23. Change front diff fluids(DONE 7/1)

My goal is to knock some of this list every night. So I will be updating as I go and I hope to have pictures to go along with this as will.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update here. I got my track bar in the mail last Friday and I just started putting it in tonight. Found out that I might have to drill the bottom hole on the axle out a little bigger because the bolt they sent with track bar won’t fit in the hole that is there.

Also I got the front SS brake line installed and then I figured out how I am going to run the rear lines with the 8.8. Also I think that my rear shocks are to long. Great so I am going to measure and try to figure out if I can use the on I have or if I need new ones.

• 1 month later...

Well damn time to get this thing out of my shop. I also just got my axle back form the weld shop. Lincoln locker the rear and welded the tubes on the 8.8 while it was out so I should be good to go.

I also got the XJ pop valve installed. I had to take the air box out and the master cylinder. To make getting the MJ pop valve off but after a will I got it switch and now I am going to put my rear axle back under the truck. Plum the back brake lines and then the shock. Then out of my shop I hope.

hmm i was gonna make a truss thing over the pinion part of the housing....ive thought of your idea to...and i may just do that

I have thought about the truss thing but I am going to wait until I link the rear. Which that my never happen but that is my plan.

Well here it is next to my wife’s truck this thing is huge. Well there are a few things that need to be done before I drive this thing on the road the rear shock and the brakes.

and one of all 3 trucks

You bought an invisibility cloak for your truck!!!

you read too much harry potter....

sadly, I haven't got much to say for myself as I just read the new book in less than 36 hours, having worked 16 of those and slept a further 8 of them.

the 89 suffered this weeked. :P

hey, what tires are on that manche? that's almost EXACTLY where the 89 will end up...so I think you've decided that my rear will HAVE to be SOA.

dumb question, but is that much trim absolutely needed to run 33's on a 6 inch lift?

I ask because I will have a 6.5" in with 33's tucked in there, and now I'm concerned.....maybe I will decide on putting my TJ flares on....

dumb question, but is that much trim absolutely needed to run 33's on a 6 inch lift?

I ask because I will have a 6.5" in with 33's tucked in there, and now I'm concerned.....maybe I will decide on putting my TJ flares on....

No I jsut got the grinder out and said watch this

Here is Comancheon33's truck with 35's and he is running TnT long arm up front but I don't think he is any taller than mine will may be but not by much.

the main reason i cut mine like I did was since I did not have the long arm kit i wanted it to flex a lot more. Plus now i have room to run somthing larger. Or when I get my long arm kit it will have room to flex.