Leaf Over?

What is required to drop the axle under the leafs on our trucks? Does the platform need to be cut and rewelded?

Does anyone have any pictures of this mod done?

I apologize for the 'newbie' questions. I am new to 4x4's but by no means new to cars or custom fab work.

First off welcome to the addiction.

If by platform you mean the perch yes it has to be cut and moved to the top but do not reuse the old, buy new. You can get them for like 8 bucks from the stealership. I have done this on mine and it wasnt as simple as just flipping the axle under. I had to extend my D-shaft and make a drop bracket for the E-brake and extend brake lines. Also i made a leaf pack out of some i had laying around but if your stockers are in good shape you should be OK unless you plan to hual alot. A few others have done this and I'm sure i missed something so they will chime in and help you out even more. I don't have pics right now but if you tell me exactly what you want some of i can take some. There also might be a write up in the project section i think i remember someone doing one.

EDIT: and we do not tend to castrate newbies like some other sites you might be a member of. Just read the rules and you will see. ;)

Cole

Oh thats one i missed but here is the solution. Take the old ubolt plate where the shock mounts are now and change side with it and flip it upside down and on the top. Worked great with mine but you may want something different.

Cole

And if you don't want to do all of this, you can buy sping packs from rusty's offroad. They now make a 4inch spring pack for lifting MJ's. It was a little too high when I got it and installed it so I simply took the bottom leaf out and it now sits great after I put some weight in the back to settle them.

Also, what you are wanting to do is called a spring over axle or SOA.

don't tell the newbies to buy rusty's... totally not worth the money, a spoa will ride easier anyway.

That pack is made out-of-house and is well rated.

I am not a big RUSTYS supporter. BUT he does offer some good pricing on parts, I will purchase from him if he is just the parts handler. I mean if he don't make it or weld on it or design it, its OK to buy. :) :D You only have to deal with poor customer service. :oops: :headpop:

I have these springs and like them alot. (Took three shippments to fill this order.)They do not make this product. They are manufactured in Canada.

Its a good product and I recomend it.

BTW, IMHO, its WAY better riding than a SOA set up.

CW

Sometimes Rusty's buys cheap stuff out of house too. You can't guarentee that just because Rusty's didn't make it it's good - my rear XJ springs from him were total crap and bent the first time out. The spring guy who rearched them said they were the cheapest spring steel he'd ever seen. And ditto the customer service. I wouldn't take Rusty's if he was givin it away.

axel wrap is not as big of a deal as it is made out to be.. infact unless you are doing some hard rock crawling, then i don't believe it would be an issue. of course different things happen to different people. somone might totally disagree.

depends on your spring quality too. XJs of course come SOA but if your aftermarket springs are soft you can get permanent axle wrap... there are a lot of factors that influence wrap. personally I just go SOA and don't worry about it. if it turns out there is a problem and that problem is axle wrap, then I'll address it. but you know I don't pretend to know what I'm doing either :dunce:

Yup, I find it depends a lot on the condition of the leafs. I had horrible wrap back when the 88 was 2wd, but later found out that I had a broken leaf on each side. I simply added a second main MJ leaf in below my mains as helpers when I went SOA (and of course I replaced the broken leafs).

If rusty's is no good then where do you suggest getting a lift from? I would like to go 8"

For THAT much lift I also would go spring over and fab up a anti wrap setup.

I a running the Rustys Spring and like it very much.

BTW A Rustys +4" pack run SOA will net you in the neighbor hood you want.

IF no I agree with BRETT, MAKE IT!!!

CW

I am always a big ffan of making your own, but when your newer to the life style of off road you can often be mis led in ways of doing it. I would suggest that you do a little more reasearch with the companys that you have in mind, and make your own opinion. check out the RE lifts.. I don't have experiience with RE or rusty's, i just know what I have read on this site. The people here will not stear you wrong and are, oddly enough, very helpful for an internet based club.

They have been a great help. I just bought a 91' all stock. I am ready to put a lift and whells on it. I thought about a 6" lift but thought why not just go for 8" while I'm doing it. The kits are expensive but I'm am willing to pay for one. I just want to know that I will get quality equipment for the money. As far as making my own I don't have a great deal of experience doing it but have a friend that does. If I do make/fab my own in the rear what front lift should I go with? Also if I weld the gears together in the front axel (i still have the stock one) can I use a cable to lock and unlock the front axel. What are the pros and cons of this setup.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Personally I'm using Skyjacker 8" XJ springs and moving up the rear perch several inches forward. It's mostly because I already have the springs. Somebody else will have to give you better advice. :dunno: