whats the best route

don't buy rusty's under any circumstances. even if the part doesn't suck the cust. service does and you'll spend more time and money chasing false tracking numbers and replacing cheap parts than you would going with the re6500 even in the first place.

i've read rough country rides a little rough, but i have no personal experience with that. you should do a search on here, i know i read about RC somewhere on this board.

What are you looking at in a kit that you don't currently have. I noticed your sig says you have a 3" lift, do you have new LCAs, or is that something you're going to need to buy? If you already have some of the parts, then take that into consideration when looking for a different lift.

What are you looking at in a kit that you don't currently have. I noticed your sig says you have a 3" lift, do you have new LCAs, or is that something you're going to need to buy? If you already have some of the parts, then take that into consideration when looking for a different lift.

well the truck had a 3in rancho when i bought it and it seemed to be very minimal, coils, LCAs, a short AAL and rs5000s

You could even surf the jeep sites and find parts and peices to make a bastard kit if you wanted. That way you can get the parts you like from each brand. :brows:

Cole

all day its been running through my head to just put my own kit together, my target is to run 32/33s between 4.5-6 inches

this guy on naxja wants to sell me some rustys 6.5 coils for $75 he says they yeild about 5.5, but i might go 4-4.5 inch coils and run ACOS for adjustability when it begins to sag and i may go w/RE drop brackets and adustable Control arms, i found some Rc adjustables on ebay for 300 is that a good price or should i look somewhere else

if its all adjustables (upper and lower) 300 might be good, however i don't know about RC quality. if its just for lowers, you can get RE for about $240 from jeepinoutfitters.com with free shipping. ive tried to think of ways to get a cheap kit. like buying a RC kit, then using RE drop brackets + a 1-2" puck to get more height...but it keeps coming out to be about $1000. i think that either you pony up the muns to buy the RE kit, or you look for used, or you go with RC (cause i hear that rustys is out of the question). ive thought MANY times about getting a RC kit for my XJ, and ive searched jeepforum many times and i have NOT yet read a comment from somone who owned a RC kit who said they were displeased with it. i would not hesitate buy one right now if i had the money (thats just me). the only reason I'm not going to get the RC kit for my Mj is because i want the RE kit with the drop brackets, and upper and lower control arms. hope this helps.

I don't know if they have improved, but a couple to three years ago Rough Country had a reputation for their front COIL springs breaking. I wouldn't put Rough Country in one of my vehicles if it was given to me.

I don't know if they have improved, but a couple to three years ago Rough Country had a reputation for their front COIL springs breaking. I wouldn't put Rough Country in one of my vehicles if it was given to me.

I feel the same way about Rusty's... one of his coils sagged after one good tire stuff and the jeep was crooked, my opinion you're wasting $75 and the time to change springs. The first question is *why* is the guy selling them.

It seems you can always find something bad about any manufacturer or company online, so also take these things with a grain of salt.

I have some Rubicon Express 5.5" ZJ springs (that I used to replace the Rusty's) for sale for $120. They gave my XJ about 6" of lift with a heavy front bumper and winch. I know thats more $$ but you won't have to replace them. :D

I feel the same way about Rusty's... one of his coils sagged after one good tire stuff and the jeep was crooked, my opinion you're wasting $75 and the time to change springs. The first question is *why* is the guy selling them.

It seems you can always find something bad about any manufacturer or company online, so also take these things with a grain of salt.

Absolutely. I have Rustys 3" coils and love the performance I get from them on my trail rig. They're rusty as all hell though. The powdercoating/paint or whatever that black coating was didn't last long at all.

). ive thought MANY times about getting a RC kit for my XJ, and ive searched jeepforum many times and i have NOT yet read a comment from somone who owned a RC kit who said they were displeased with it.

That's probably because I refuse to visit JF.

RC is the biggest POS known to man. Absolute garbage. The ride was horrible. It was riding with covered wagon springs, and the shocks could have been replaced by concrete blocks for better dampening

Had an RC kit on my first XJ. The shackle broke completely in half on the first obstacle I tried to cross. I had to weld it together to get home, they refused to warranty it because 'someone welded on it'.

I had a Rusty's lift for almost 3 years. No problems, I didn't cause. But it was a BB with an AAL so there were no welds involved. I sold it to another Jeeper when I was done with it.

The quality of the parts and welds, and powder-coating of the RE kit was so far above what I had expected. I couldn't believe how good the welds looked, and the fact the coatings were actually applied evenly and with a bit of care. Its only been on my XJ for two days, but the ride is firmer than stock but is exactly what I wanted.

The quality of the parts and welds, and powder-coating of the RE kit was so far above what I had expected. I couldn't believe how good the welds looked, and the fact the coatings were actually applied evenly and with a bit of care.

Yeah I loved my RE coils. They look like the day I bought 'em and I beat them pretty hard under my XJ and they never gave me an issue.

keep what you've got, buy a new trackbar and some spacers. Remove AAL in the rear and go spring over.

That's the cheapest and most effective way to get the 5" you want.

Then take the money you saved and keep it, or upgrade other parts of the truck. At 5" controls arms are something to be considered, likewise with steering. Seems anything over 3" comes with a lot of "extra" things you need to do to other components than just the suspension.

Brake lines, steering, e-brake cables, swaybar links.