DIY Rear Corner Guards

Some of you may have seen the corner guards I've built for my MJ project but it seems like there has been a lot of interest lately in rear corner guards/light boxes for the MJs with little response from the vendors. I thought it would be helpful to some if I shared the ones I built. While they don't look as "professional" as the JCR or Thor guards I'm happy with how they turned out and it was as valuable learning experience.

Parts Needed:

10g sheet of plate steel(same thickness of the Thor guards)

Box of button head bolts and lock nuts from Fastenal

Some form of LEDs

Tools Used:

Electric grinder with thin cutoff wheels

Drill with various size bits

Welder for the tabs

Torch to heat/bend steel around body

2.5" Hole saw to cut out light holes

First step was to trim the lower quarters off the bed. This is an optional step. I plan to build a wrap around bumper later so I didn't care about the lower quarters.

How did you retain the bolts? Nutserts?

Thanks,

Willy

No, there are lock nuts on the back side of the bolts. With the lower quarters trimmed off the back side of the panels can easily be reached to hold the nuts in place with a wrench.

Nice Idea!!

I really like the LED's!!

I've been contemplating a way to add LED's as you have. While retaining the body lines. I like your idea!

How thick is the steel and how did you make the radius?

CW

he used 10 guage steel, and i beleive he used a torch and heated/bent it using the truck itself for the curve.

Nice Idea!!

I really like the LED's!!

I've been contemplating a way to add LED's as you have. While retaining the body lines. I like your idea!

How thick is the steel and how did you make the radius?

CW

Thanks! Yes as the_wizard_of_fire said I used 10g steel. I originally planned to used 3/16 but it too thick to make a good bend. To make the bend I bolted the guards to the bed heated the plate with a oxy/acetylene torch and used a high lift jack to "pull" it around the radius of the bed corner. It should be noted that I did this before my truck was painted, heating the metal up till it's glowing red and bending it can burn your paint. I didn't care because my truck was about to go to the painter.

Do you have any pics of you bending the radius with the handyman jack?

Sorry, I didn't think to take any during the process. I'll "try" to explain. With the jack on it's side pointing towards the cab I was able to use a block of wood against the guards and against the bed to pull the together with the jack.

how is the wiring hooked up?

is it legal for road use?

With the XJ wiring harness I had to use a Tow-Ready converter box (part #119130). This adapts the 3-wire system to a 2-wire system. The lights are just basic STT (Stop Turn Tail) so they will function as all 3 just like you see on trucks. Yes they are legal, here in NC at least. I will still need some form of reverse lights and a tag light but those will come with the bumper later.

how is the wiring hooked up?

is it legal for road use?

With the XJ wiring harness I had to use a Tow-Ready converter box (part #119130). This adapts the 3-wire system to a 2-wire system. The lights are just basic STT (Stop Turn Tail) so they will function as all 3 just like you see on trucks. Yes they are legal, here in NC at least. I will still need some form of reverse lights and a tag light but those will come with the bumper later.

You might need a reflector too. :dunno:

The reflector was built into the stock taillights,

but most big truck style taillights do not have built in reflectors.

Either way, it's good to have something reflective back there,

never know when you're going to end up stopped on a dark road, with no lights.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...