Axle options

Just looking for a few opinions on rear axle choices. I have the 35 with welded spiders :ack: , on 32's. It really needs to go ASAP. Heading to the pull a part tomorrow after school, or first thing saturday morning. I'm torn between an 8.25, 8.8, or the ever elusive 44. The yards inventory shows several 8.8's and 8.25's, and i plan on hunting for a 44. I know to look for a 29 spline 8.25, and the 8.8's have the discs which would be a welcome upgrade. If i find a 44 the choice is obvious, but just looking for people with experience on any of these, likes an dislikes. Thanks for the help. :cheers:

44 is my first choice for simplicity, but seeing how the exploder was the mose common vehicle traded in on cash 4 clunkers, there's a ton of 8.8 axles all over. i'd even get picky on those, and find exactly the gears you want w/ limited slip if you don't plan on going nuts with it. 4.10 and limited slip is available in them.

I am almost done with my D44 , They are all good ( built correctly ) anyway .

The ford Diff's are easier to find and cheaper to convert to disc brakes .

However the D44's are still around . Just a bit more money to convert to disc .

Check craigs list . There is one near me for about 100.00 bucks . Probably needs rebuilt but runs .

I found 4 in a week , found the best one out of them , paid 300.00 for it . W/ 373 gears .

Currently being completely rebuilt .

The 31 spline Ford 8.8 is the axle of choice, it is actually stronger than the D44 & you can get all the aftermarket mods your willing to pay for.

As soon as i get the chance i'm going to the JY & getting one for mine & doing the C clip eliminator 4.10 gears, locker, & a bearing support cover. It should be pretty much indestructible after that...

BTW,

You can find them on '95 to 2000 Ford Explorers.

The 31 spline Ford 8.8 is the axle of choice, it is actually stronger than the D44 & you can get all the aftermarket mods your willing to pay for.

As soon as i get the chance i'm going to the JY & getting one for mine & doing the C clip eliminator 4.10 gears, locker, & a bearing support cover. It should be pretty much indestructible after that...

BTW,

Thanks for the tip, were the 31's on the V8 explorers, or on both?

The 8.25s are nice because it's still Jeep. But it's hard to pass up an Explorer 8.8, you get disc brakes and a lot of them have limited slips in them. Remember to grab the u-bolt plates and the driveshaft flange, you'll need them for the 8.8. Also think about u-bolts, I'll let others start the new/used debate. Look for the other post with the tag codes for the 8.8s. Print it out and take it with you so you know what your looking at for ratios and lsd or not. Good luck finding a D44, there is something to be said for the coolness of the bolt in factory option.

The 8.25s are nice because it's still Jeep. But it's hard to pass up an Explorer 8.8, you get disc brakes and a lot of them have limited slips in them. Remember to grab the u-bolt plates and the driveshaft flange, you'll need them for the 8.8. Also think about u-bolts, I'll let others start the new/used debate. Look for the other post with the tag codes for the 8.8s. Print it out and take it with you so you know what your looking at for ratios and lsd or not. Good luck finding a D44, there is something to be said for the coolness of the bolt in factory option.

8.25s are nice because they're Jeep.. yes. But for a wheeling truck, the 27 spline versions aren't all that worth it. 29s are.

Granted, you can convert a 27 to a 29, but that requires a gear setup as the carriers are different.

BTW,

Thanks for the tip, were the 31's on the V8 explorers, or on both?

Not sure, but from the research i've done it looks as if all of them had the 31 spline. Be sure to take it from the explorer though, the Ranger came with a 28 spline, which is still strong, just not so much as the D44.

RE:Ford Explorer rear.

Is the lug pattern the same as the MJ? If not what do you do for spare? Carry two? On one of my MJ'S there is a 5 lug D60 in the rear and a 6 lug D44 in front. Rather than mess with 2 spares I'm scrapping both axles and installing a matched set.

All explorers have 31 splined axleshafts. 95-01 have disk brakes. The lug pattern matches your Jeep. width is 5/8" more narrow on each side. Pretty much all other 8.8s should be avoided.

and IF you can break a shaft on an 8.8, I just might hire a helicopter and bring a spare out to you. :D

Guys, you need to know the facts. This hatred of the dreaded "C" clip is UNFOUNDED!!!

Yes the D35 is a problem rear. But do you know why? I don't wanna hear what you read, I wanna know if you really know why they bring on the suckage. The "C" Clip axle design you say.. NOPE. The 27 Spline axle maybe.. NOPE. The small ring gear or bearings?? NOPE and NOPE. The core of the problem with the D35 is its HOUSING!! 90% of the problems with this axle are a direct result of the axle housing flexing . Resulting in the ejection of the axle from the housing when the "C" clip fails. It fails because the axle housing twists or flexes enough to "pop" the clip and out comes the axle. YES some people have broken the shafts, (self included) but its diameter and 27 spline count is much stronger then you have read and have been lead to believe. Many of the people who have broken a shaft would have VERY likely also broken a bigger shaft under identical circumstances. I have known, personally known, of more than a couple D35 with alloy axles and reinforced housings standing up to aggressive driving with big tires and lockers.

The 27 Spl 8.25 Crico axle is a "C" Clip axle and is still a GOOD upgrade to the D35. Its housing is DAMN STOUT!! That's the reason its such a good axle. The spline count is a consideration as its usually just as easy to look a bit more and get a 29spline, but if all you can get or the price is great on a 27spline GO FOR IT!! Don't discount this axle!! Its housing is way strong!

Hold on to your hat... the 8.8 is ANOTHER "C" clip axle. It too has a housing that's as big as a D60 for crying out loud!! Any of you who have drug it thru the rocks with 33/35" tires will attest to! Yes it is WAY strong! I agree its stronger then the D44 because of this housing! FORGET about the "C" clip eliminators, besides they don't fit with most lockers we all want to run. You done need them anyhow! Welding the tubes is another hot topic. I doubt the majority of us will really need this. but its a simple thing to do and offers insurance or at the very least peace of mind. So do it if it makes you feel better.

I just hate misinformation!!! Know the facts and make you own INFORMED decisions!! NOT the hype from the guy who knows a guy whose brother has a friend that broke one... People will most ALWAYS blame something else for there misfortune or problem and not take responsibility for it.

CW

Guys, you need to know the facts. This hatred of the dreaded "C" clip is UNFOUNDED!!!

Yes the D35 is a problem rear. But do you know why? I don't wanna hear what you read, I wanna know if you really know why they bring on the suckage. The "C" Clip axle design you say.. NOPE. The 27 Spline axle maybe.. NOPE. The small ring gear or bearings?? NOPE and NOPE. The core of the problem with the D35 is its HOUSING!! 90% of the problems with this axle are a direct result of the axle housing flexing . Resulting in the ejection of the axle from the housing when the "C" clip fails. It fails because the axle housing twists or flexes enough to "pop" the clip and out comes the axle. YES some people have broken the shafts, (self included) but its diameter and 27 spline count is much stronger then you have read and have been lead to believe. Many of the people who have broken a shaft would have VERY likely also broken a bigger shaft under identical circumstances. I have known, personally known, of more than a couple D35 with alloy axles and reinforced housings standing up to aggressive driving with big tires and lockers.

The 27 Spl 8.25 Crico axle is a "C" Clip axle and is still a GOOD upgrade to the D35. Its housing is DAMN STOUT!! That's the reason its such a good axle. The spline count is a consideration as its usually just as easy to look a bit more and get a 29spline, but if all you can get or the price is great on a 27spline GO FOR IT!! Don't discount this axle!! Its housing is way strong!

Hold on to your hat... the 8.8 is ANOTHER "C" clip axle. It too has a housing that's as big as a D60 for crying out loud!! Any of you who have drug it thru the rocks with 33/35" tires will attest to! Yes it is WAY strong! I agree its stronger then the D44 because of this housing! FORGET about the "C" clip eliminators, besides they don't fit with most lockers we all want to run. You done need them anyhow! Welding the tubes is another hot topic. I doubt the majority of us will really need this. but its a simple thing to do and offers insurance or at the very least peace of mind. So do it if it makes you feel better.

I just hate misinformation!!! Know the facts and make you own INFORMED decisions!! NOT the hype from the guy who knows a guy whose brother has a friend that broke one... People will most ALWAYS blame something else for there misfortune or problem and not take responsibility for it.

CW

I agree that what i want to do is overbuilding the axle, & that in most cases you could simply bolt the thing in & go, but i don't want to have to worry about this thing again. My truck currently has the D35, 2wd, 235 75 R15's, this thing has 150K miles on it & when i jack the truck up i can grab the wheels & i have between 1/4" & 1/2" of in & out play on both sides. This thing has been run through it's paces, but nothing that should cause it to have that kind of play. Plus, i want to do a stroker & really don't want to worry about it then...

I have personally seen (and heard) a D35 shaft snap. But the owner was asking for it. He was in a Cherokee, climbing a steep obstacle. When he lost traction near the top it started bouncing. Rather than let off and try again he stayed on the gas with almost all of the weight on the rear axle.

And yes, that probably would have broken a shaft in a stronger axle as well.