MJ Payload ?

I have a 1988 MJ:

AMC 2.5L I-4 TBI, AX-4 4spd manual, 3.73 gears.

Any idea on what this will tow ? . . .

there is no data filled in so i don't have any info labeled on the Truck.

what have you towed for a payload weight ?

Mike

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's got 3.73 Gears & 4spd manual trans i would imagine my truck could tow some weight, not so sure i'd tow another vehicle with it . . . but it should tow Motor bikes, ATV's, and lawn tractors . . . i prolly have 1,100-1,300lbs above the factory empty weight on board my truck now it goes just fine . . . topper, 6 tire's with rims, chop saw, 5 bag's of ice melter ect . . .

I bet with 4.56's you could get it to tow car's don't know as i would leave the city limits with it tho . . . but it prolly would handle 4,500lbs of rolling weight . . . i just wouldn't figured it would go very fast nor any great distance . . .

Mike

my only suggestion is keep the rpm's up. the 4cyl trans's are not strong, and do not like to be bogged down. we've all seen ax5's go bad, running larger tires down the hi way definatly takes a toll on fifth gear, i'm sure towing will also, same goes for your 4spd.

as far as towing another vehicle, definately not the 4 banger, and manual trans. i'm gonna try it with my big ton, 6 cy. w/ trans cooler, trans gauge, and trailer brakes. the manual says 5500 tow capacity w/ auto trans, not manual. i've heard somewhere the clutch can't take it, normally a manual is strong for towing, but not in our trucks. and i'm having second thoughts from just puting the trailer on it.

With a light trailer, or in the bed, it will go just fine for the 350 miles you want to go. 3:73 is higher (?) gearing than most 2.5's with AX4.... mine came with 3:55. so you are slightly better off with gearing already, though 4:10 would be even better, but just towing an ATV and camping gear, youll be fine!

4:10 gearing would be nice but i think the highway rev's would get a bit to high . . . As is 65mph is about all it want's to do its humming about 3,000rpm . . . with 225's . . .

Mike

i agree on the gears, and i think you are fine with the atv and stuff, i was talking about beyond that.

Now with 3.73's/AX-4 it'll roll along 65mph@3,000rpm with 4.10's it be like 65mph@3200rpm . . . with 225's . . .

Now if ya went to 235's maybe it would bring the rev's down to about where you started so ya didn't gain much maybe a slightly quicker launch but once rolling it'll slowly become the same . . . according to the gear tire/ comparo calc . .

Hitch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-92-Je ... ccessories

what ya think ?

Mike

as long as your truck is in good shape in the braking area, it'll do fine with a load as light as an ATV or an ATV on a small trailer. just keep in mind that it's a 20 year old truck with a 20 year old braking system and drive accordingly. :thumbsup:

oh, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with 3200 rpms on the highway. The 2.5L will do that all day long no problemo. :thumbsup: I admit t where are a ton of variables at play with different vehicles and setups, but frequently you'll waste more gas accelerating with higher gears (numerically lower) than you will with highway travel with lower gears (numerically higher).

My concern it taking a 22 year old engine with 190,000 miles and dropping the gearing on it and reving it up . . .

My truck doesn't see much more then 30mph and doesn't travel more then about 2 blocks, Now slamming it into a 350 mile road trip at 3,200rpm under a load i don't think would end well for me . . .

I'm more concerned with being 175 miles from home with a loaded 22 year old truck with 190K+ miles . . .

EDIT:

Re-gearing would be cheaper then a tranny in the diesel . . . i'm just not so sure it's needed . . .

Mike

My rear bumper is shot, I was shooting for a reciever hitch system !

But they all seem to be front mount units !

Do they offer a rear mount ?

Or

Can the front mount be converted to a rear mount ?

MIke

My rear bumper is shot, I was shooting for a reciever hitch system !

But they all seem to be front mount units !

Do they offer a rear mount ?

Or

Can the front mount be converted to a rear mount ?

MIke

you're right in the heart of the wisconsin group of crazy mj'ers, i'd waiger someone has a tow hitch they would sell, post up a wanted thread and i'm sure you'd find one. i got mine from pat, which was wade's at one time iirc.

and if i were in your shoes, i'd be pleased as punch rolling down the hi way closer to 55 and keeping the rpms under 3 grand.

55MPH :rotfl2: :rotf: :hmm: :rotfl2: :rotf: :dunno: I'm going to be holding the atving group back only being able to run 65mph there is not way i'll be able to go if i can only go 55mph . . . i may as well take 50 year old truck . . .

Mike

I bought my 2.5 with 336,000 miles on it, and have been making it run better ever since, I would trust it to run a distance like that no problem, If you don't seem to have any problems now, you shouldnt on your trip either, just check everything over real good before you go. I'm in the process of making a rear hitch for mine as I don't want to spend any money on one, but it would be much simpler to just get one you know will fit and be done. Just be smart with everything and it will be fine!