120 amp alternater help

hey guys. well more crap happened with my new engine swap. :headpop: apparently, the mechanic who did the swap caused my 120 amp alt, (that costed like $230.00), to bust. it could of been those bare battery terminal cables :shake:

now i am stuck with trying to decide if he wired it wrong or what

does anyone have any diagrams or info on how the alt is wired so i can crawl under and see if he did it wrong?

also, which alt should i get to replace?

i need 120 amps for the plow

man....this is such a headache....its plowable snow outside right now and i can't go make $$$ for the first time in 3 weeks because of an ahole mechanic!!!

thanks again dudes :bowdown:

I mean there are a couple different styles of mounting. 10 years ago when I bought my 190 amp alt it took quite a few minutes on the phone to determine which one I had. problem is that most of that info has long since left my brain. :( I only remember that the mounting positions of the alt were important. :dunno:

Did you take it back to the mechanic and at least let him take a look at it? It just might have been something beyond his control. Or if it was something he did, or didn't do, give him a chance to make it right. If he doesn't, THEN you have a right to blast him.

Former mechanic, repair shop owner who got out of the business because of unreasonable customers.

ok after i just typed up like a novel, it got erased...bill gates sux!

got alt out at 1 am last night

brought it to my "alternator guy"

put it on machine...nothing

$75 bucks he said hed rebuild it

1 hour later and its now pushing 140 amps

cause of failure:

1)corosion from salt and the fact i have no cover under there to protect it...its on my junkyard list :thumbsup:

2) orrrrrrr....perhaps the bare battery cables....hmmmmm

anyways put it on, works great

theres 2 more things i learned how to do...alt and ps pump...nice...blah to mechanics :ack:

anyways for your viewing pleasure...pics of new alt for no reason at all

thanks everyone...sorry i paniced pete

I'm kinda late to this party. But its glad to hear you figured it out.

I was going to say its not impossible he hooked it up wrong, but not likely as its one plug and one stud lug. No way to do it backwards or wrong really.

I swapped mine out back when or around the time the winch went in. I got mine off EBay too. Mine is a 200 amp.

I made up a set of custom cables at the same time as the factory 8 Ga charge wire is NOT ADEQUATE for this much power!! I needed a #4!!!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE the new cables made!!! If yours are old or even original, consider a new set!!

CW

I'm kinda late to this party. But its glad to hear you figured it out.

I was going to say its not impossible he hooked it up wrong, but not likely as its one plug and one stud lug. No way to do it backwards or wrong really.

I swapped mine out back when or around the time the winch went in. I got mine off EBay too. Mine is a 200 amp.

I made up a set of custom cables at the same time as the factory 8 Ga charge wire is NOT ADEQUATE for this much power!! I needed a #4!!!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE the new cables made!!! If yours are old or even original, consider a new set!!

CW

man i just replaced them....but it don't mean i can't put them on my 92 and get new ones....thanks again man.... jamminz.gif