120 amp alternater help

4 gauge wire?

Yep!

This is just the charging wire from the alternator to the battery. Its about the dia of your Lil finger. Where as the stock #8 is less than a 1/4". The stockers amperage runs 60/80/90 amps, mine is 200 amps, so it would use that Lil #8 like a fuse and melt it. :eek: My battery cables are made from hospital "X RAY" wires. This wire is full of very fine wires, many, many more than regular battery cables. Its roughly 2/0 size or bigger than your thumb. I used "marine" style battery lugs. This allowed me to crimp/solder on cable ends not bulkier, harder to use battery lugs. Shrink tubing sealed up all connections.

CW

nice...I'm gonna see if i can find some wire somewhere....hey do welding leads work?

Welding leads are usually of the same hi quality as the fine stranded cable I used. Just look at it in comparison and remember, DC electric (like a car has) is like a water pipe, larger pipe flows better, and since there is no "pressure" in electric using larger never hurts.

CW

• 4 weeks later...
Alright gonna ask the cheapy question here...

What is the maximum amount your alternator can safely put out on the factory 8ga. wire?

About 70 amps...

But as I have said, think of your wire like a water pipe, the bigger it is the easier the flow...

Here is a good guide for ya: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

CW