Will these tires fit stock 88 mj wheels?

the tires will probably fit the wheels, but its a question of fitting the vehicle ..... Check the back spacing ..... since those treads are 10.50s, they may rub the springs in the back or control arms in the front.

I have 31x10.50 procomps and they are pretty close to the springs in the back, and I'm running the Eccos with 5.25 BS

If they're 15's, yes.

The're a good fit on any of the 15x7" Jeep wheels (or 8's for that matter).

They're not a great fit on the 15x6" 9 slot wheels (like the ones on the Grandpa Jeep in my sig).

Some might try them on the 6's, but I wouldn't.

The other issue is sometimes tires don't 'like' to be swapped from wider wheels to narrower ones (assuming the 31's are on 8" wide wheels now).

I've done it in the past, and had zero issues with some tires, but on one set, I've had them scallop badly after a few thousand miles.

Maybe it wasn't the rim swap that lead to this, but it's the only reason I could see for all 4 to scallop so quickly, after the wheel change (had no issues with the same tires on the same truck before the wheel width swap :dunno: ).

FWIW, 31x10.5's on stock Jeep wheels usually means the sidewall will rub the control arms some up front at full lock (wheel turned all the way).

Live with it, stop turning the wheel all the way, adjust your stops, or find another solution that works for you (spacers?), but it will probably happen.

Check the rear clearance at the leafs too, but I've been OK with this combo in the past.

yup, you should be good, you will rub the control arms just a little, those wheels have 5.25 back spacing ..... it will look close on the rear, but you should have about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch of spacing between the tire and the spring

Image Not Found

100_1358.jpg

:rotf:

Hows that for a picture request, same color MJ, same wheels, with the size tires you wanted.

Even the position of the MJ was almost the same. :clapping:

Nice job LNF :yes:

I've got Jeep alloys on my MJ (though not the same as yours), running 31x10.50 Firestone Destination AT's, stock ride height. There is no fender rubbing at all, and they fit nice and snug.

As has already been mentioned, you'll most likely rub the stock lower controls arms at full lock. There are two obvious solutions for this. One, don't turn the steering wheel to full lock. Two, replace the lower control arms with Grand Cherokee (WJ) lower control arms. They have a slight "S" bend to them, and will clear 31's at full lock, as this picture shows:

I got my WJ LCAs off eBay, for $75/pair plus S&H. Cost $100 to get them installed, but at least now there's no chance of them rubbing at all. If you have the funds, I'd recommend installing them, because they're fully boxed, and stronger than stock MJ LCAs. Consider it a long-term investment in your truck, provided you don't install a big lift kit that will require new LCAs anyway, along with a bunch of other new parts...

I picked up my set of WJ arms for like $20 and installed them myself. not too bad of a job if you have the right tools.

You da man, Pete...key words here being "right tools"...I don't have an electric drill, saw, bench vise, grinder, or any kind of air tools, so for me, it was cheaper to just pay a shop to install them...but you're right, if one looks at a pick and pull, or in some classifieds, and has the right tools, it looks like an easy enough swap, and definitely worth it...

If I remember this right, and if everything goes perfect, you'll need a floor jack, 2 jack stands, an angle grinder,whatever wrench it takes (15mm? 18mm?), and a can of PB Blaster (or other rust penetrant, not WD-40). maybe $50 or so in costs if you get the inexpensive stuff. All Jeep owners should own these tools. :D Add in a hammer and a long screwdriver to help the process along.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with a new set of BF AT's or MT's , My BF AT's have held up great . Good side wall protection and overall traction .

More for daily driving than anything . Not as capable as some MT's , so I guess its what you need out of them .

If you live near a WalMart, check out their AT tires. The Goodyear Wrangler Authority that they carry looks pretty aggressive, along with the Uniroyal Liberator, and they're a LOT less expensive than BFG ATs. I think these tires are made specifically for WalMart, so most likely you won't find them on the Goodyear or Uniroyal websites. If I remember correctly, I think WalMart charges something like $18 per tire for balancing, road hazard, valve stems, and tire disposal (mounting is free). I happened to get a deal on my Firestones, buy three get one free, so I got all four mounted, balanced, valve stems, and road hazard warranty for under $500.

This should be a link to the Goodyear Authority tire at WalMart, $130 for 31x10.50:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detail.g ... =undefined

If you live near a WalMart, check out their AT tires. The Goodyear Wrangler Authority that they carry looks pretty aggressive, along with the Uniroyal Liberator, and they're a LOT less expensive than BFG ATs. I think these tires are made specifically for WalMart, so most likely you won't find them on the Goodyear or Uniroyal websites. If I remember correctly, I think WalMart charges something like $18 per tire for balancing, road hazard, valve stems, and tire disposal (mounting is free). I happened to get a deal on my Firestones, buy three get one free, so I got all four mounted, balanced, valve stems, and road hazard warranty for under $500.

This should be a link to the Goodyear Authority tire at WalMart, $130 for 31x10.50:

I noticed those Goodyears while in a Wal-Mart recently. Pretty damn good looking tire IMO. Love the sidewalls.

Satyr, fyi, your wheels are 15x7, not sure if anybody clarified that after LNF posted his pics.

I noticed those Goodyears while in a Wal-Mart recently. Pretty damn good looking tire IMO. Love the sidewalls.

Satyr, fyi, your wheels are 15x7, not sure if anybody clarified that after LNF posted his pics.

oh so mine won't fit 10.5" tires? I like the black soft 8s...wonder how theyd look

oh so mine won't fit 10.5" tires? I like the black soft 8s...wonder how theyd look

What Eagle said...31x10.5 will fit fine on Jeep 15x7 alloys, and should NOT bottom out on the fenders at stock ride height...by "black soft 8s", I'm assuming those are aftermarket wheels, which most likely have a different backspacing than Jeep wheels, and also most likely will bottom out on the fenders at stock ride height...

OK Thanks. 31x10.5.15s is what i want - I have a 2" lift all around

If you put those size tires on stock 15x7 Jeep alloys, you'll be fine. With the lift, they shouldn't rub the fenders at all during normal driving, but you'll still rub the lower control arms at full lock. Either put washers behind the stop, replace the stock LCAs with WJ LCAs, or just don't turn your steering wheel to full lock, and you'll avoid rubbing the LCAs. If you have 15x6 stock Jeep wheels, I wouldn't go any bigger than 30x9.50 tires. So, if you want to run 31s, but have 15x6 rims, you'll either have get wider wheels, or keep your 15x6's and run 30's instead.

• 1 month later...