Changing of the Daily Driver

mfpdm

Well the son had to get a new DD to replace the 86 MJ. It lasted good considering we bought it for parts and it ended up a DD. It's up for sale in the classifieds as I can't afford to have it around doing nothing. After cutting up the last two parts trucks, I'd really like to see this one go whole and put back into service.

Here's the official handoff pic after getting a new inspection and plates for the new DD.

It's a 1999 Mazda B2500(Ford Ranger Clone) in pretty good condition. 2wd 4cyl with 5spd.

Son likes the new ride but was also very happy with the 86. The thing he likes most about the Mazda is that I'll let him park it in the driveway. 86 always wanted to leave it's mark where ever it parked. :D

:cheers:

:agree:

Yep, it's just the shadows coming from the sun setting behind me and the angle of the pic. They also look like low profiles or that they are too small, but actually, they are about a inch or a half inch larger than the stock tires that came on these. Those rims are 17 in. ford something rims which make the tires look small. :dunno:

Roger. It fooled me. That visor looks good on the Ford. :thumbsup:

I like it but the son doesn't care for it. I guess it's the generation gap at play here. I told him he had to leave it because it would leave holes that would leak if we took it off.

nice 'Stang across the street too.

That's my neighbors addiction like Jeep is mine. It has been through various changes in the last 10 years from supercharged, twin turbo, single turbo, to now a stroked 302(I think) with a big @ss turbo. He's building it for the strip.

I like it but the son doesn't care for it. I guess it's the generation gap at play here. I told him he had to leave it because it would leave holes that would leak if we took it off. :cheers:

Aw, what do kids know. Most of them are clones concerned with image only. :nuts: If Dad be paying the bills, my kids better like it or they be walking the shoe leather express. :fs1: My daughter at UAH is driving a 07 Mustang. I hate all Mustangs built after 1966. It's not terribly difficult to see old Dad isn't getting his way around here. :(

I like it but the son doesn't care for it. I guess it's the generation gap at play here. I told him he had to leave it because it would leave holes that would leak if we took it off. :cheers:

Aw, what do kids know. Most of them are clones concerned with image only. :nuts: If Dad be paying the bills, my kids better like it or they be walking the shoe leather express. :fs1: My daughter at UAH is driving a 07 Mustang. I hate all Mustangs built after 1966. It's not terribly difficult to see old Dad isn't getting his way around here. :(

So she got the 2007 pony and you got poor old Gus the Dog. Don I figure you got the better end of the deal, he has some mean avatar skillz. :rotfl2:

[off topic] surprised at the dislike for Fox Mustangs here.

I never owned one, but always liked their compact size/style, power & parts availability.

Plus, pretty much every power combo you could think about running has already been done 1000x's over,

pick a recipe, put the parts on, and the drivetrain is done without sweating the details, or doing much research.

Easy & lazy I know, but after a few decades of owning AMC's, I'd like to see how the 'off the shelf' crowd does it once in a while :yes: :yes: [/off topic]

Back on topic,

I like these little Ford/Mazda pick-me-ups. :yes:

The lines on the regular cabs are very nice (especially the flare side bed type), they're easy to find & buy, parts are everywhere, and they're decent daily drivers.

Good luck with it. :cheers:

Back on topic,

I like these little Ford/Mazda pick-me-ups. :yes:

The lines on the regular cabs are very nice (especially the flare side bed type), they're easy to find & buy, parts are everywhere, and they're decent daily drivers.

Good luck with it. :cheers:

We figured it would work out good as far as a DD since he hasn't driven cars much and it was very similiar to driving the 86. And I love the fact that parts are easy to come by. :thumbsup: Already looking for a few upgrades. :brows:

Hey Don, I really can't say too much since he paid for it. He's very money wise. I've bought a lot for both the 88 and 86 but he actually bought both of them along with the 89 XJ donor. Only ones I laid money out for was the two 87's that I chopped up. Once I get the 88 back on the road, I'll probably inherit the Mazda. :D

Hey Don, I really can't say too much since he paid for it. He's very money wise. I've bought a lot for both the 88 and 86 but he actually bought both of them along with the 89 XJ donor. Only ones I laid money out for was the two 87's that I chopped up. Once I get the 88 back on the road, I'll probably inherit the Mazda. :D :cheers:

Hey, I guess I can't complain Paul since she's keeping her grades up and the Air Force is paying most of her bills in Tuscaloosa. I had a pristine baby blue 1988 Mercedes 300CE similar to this one

Mercedes%20300CE%205X8.jpg

I was going to give her for college, but she wanted the stupid Mustang. :nuts: And Gus is cool too......

Good luck w. the new Mazda; it looks good. :cheers:

yeah, originally we were looking at getting a 97+ XJ. Found a great deal for a 97 4dr country edition for $1600. Called the guy within the first 30 minutes of it being posted and he said he didn't mean to post it yet. Called him back several times and he said that he was going to raise the price as he had to replace the ignition system. Told him I'd give 2k for it and he said he had to wait to get it back from his mechanic. Called him back and he said his mechanic told him he was listing it way to low and that he would help him sell it. :fs1: It was a one owner, older gentleman, with 150k on it, all highway and look like new. Booked out a $3200 for private owner sale and I knew it would have been a steal. :(

Ford has been carrying this body style since 1993. My cousin actully bought one that year and drove it up till last year when the rust belt cancer finally got to be too much for her to continue to upkeep. My dad bought one new in 1996 that he is still driving, but I don't see it lasting him too much longer. I'm trying to talk him into a new full size Dodge... I can get him my employee discount here at the dealership, but I think he will probably drive it a couple more years to try to save money. And Mazda is no longer carrying the B series trucks as of either this year or last year, though the dated Ranger is still here. That platform is in serious need of a complete redesign. They are good trucks though, I have to say, but one thing I noticed is this model has less room in it than the Ford body style that it replaced... being a tall guy it is a big issue.