Painting Roll-Bar - Bed-liner?

Has anyone used the Duplicolor Spray Bed-Liner on a roll bar? I used it on my stock front bumper to help cover up some of the chips/pot marks. The Roll Bar I got wasn't too rough, but I was considering using the Duplicolor on the roll-bar as well over the top of a nice coat of Krylon Rust-Proof Enamel (already applied). The surface texture is not real rough like herc or some of the spray on bed-liner stuff (Line-X, Rhino, etc). I eventually also plan on getting my bed sprayed, but don't have an extra $400ish right now.

duplicolorbedliner.jpg

Thoughts?

Sw2

I think that's what I used on the floorboards, because it has a textured finish. I used another brand of spray-on liner stuff, which dried smooth like paint, and ended up not sticking very well to an aluminum tube bed extender I bought for another truck I had. Resprayed it with this stuff, and the textured finish was definitely better, and lasted MUCH longer. I also used this stuff to spray the lower edges of my MJ, and the only advice I can give is apply it like paint, because it will develop runs!

The one draw back that I've heard is if I get a scratch, it may start to peel off... I could reapply, but it might be easier to just re-apply regular ole' rattle can.

That's what I've had to do with that bed extender. I got the occasional paint chip, which was very obvious, since the aluminum underneath is silver. I just touched it up with more of the spray liner stuff, and it looks fine.

I redid the floorboards with that stuff a couple years ago.....it looked nice when it went on, but it is starting to flake off now in places. I'll admit my surface prep wasn't all that great, so that may be a factor.

That and the damn spray nozzles on the cans kept clogging up. I had to keep cleaning them with a straight pin. No me gusta.

Jeff

Thats what I used on the the floor pans on my truck . It does scratch , but held up pretty well over all .

I used there bumper and trim coating on the plastic trim on and around the bumper . Two months and still looking

good , even after three car washes . I'll probably have to re spray in the spring though . I agree with the prep ,

I didn't do that much either . Lazy :chillin:

I've used it on rockers on our XJ's and also did my entire bed of the MJ with it. It's held up great for several years. The trick is in the prep. One thing I've found that make it hold up better (not flake off) is to shot a coat of normal black paint (I typically use a semi-flat black) than while it's still "tacky" apply the Duplicolor Spray.

Picture from my build thread:

100_1393.jpg

a guy in my nieghborhood used something like that to do a two tone job on his F350. it looked good when he first did it but over the last few years it has faded and turned gray.

on my tube bumper i went with a hammer finish spray paint,other then some chips from the D-rings bouncing around it seems to be pretty durable. It looks pretty good most people think its powdercoated.

I've had problems with the stuff properly adhering to the surfaces I spray with it. Flat Surfaces seem to be no problem, but on any bend or seam there always seems to be a void or bubble crated that eventually cracks and then peels. It also has gone up in price recently... Last I saw it was $7-$8 a can :ack:

Otherwise, I like the texture of it and it is fairly durable stuff as long as it's not used for a truck bed that gets alot of use.

I've had problems with the stuff properly adhering to the surfaces I spray with it. Flat Surfaces seem to be no problem, but on any bend or seam there always seems to be a void or bubble crated that eventually cracks and then peels. It also has gone up in price recently... Last I saw it was $7-$8 a can :ack:

Otherwise, I like the texture of it and it is fairly durable stuff as long as it's not used for a truck bed that gets alot of use.

Yeah, I paid around $8 a can for the stuff, did fine on the bed extender, but sucked on the truck bed itself. It didn't spray on evenly, so I ended up buying the roll-on bedliner stuff in a can. Price it out, and you might want to go with the roll-on stuff, instead of buying 3-4 cans of the spray. Caution on the roll-on stuff, don't apply it directly from the can, because it starts to dry out. Just buy some cheap painting trays or cooking trays, some disposable brushes (dollar store!), pour some in, and have at it. Otherwise, you'll have to buy some acetone to clean up the brushes, which is more money.

But I'd definitely do some kind of surface prep, at the very least rubbing it down with some rubbing alcohol or acetone. Maybe that stuff on a scotchbrite pad would do it. Don't have to scrub it down to bare metal, just rough it up enough for the bedliner to stick to.

Here is what it looks like right now with just a good coat of Krylon Rust Proof Semi-Flat (Cause it's what I had already and thought would be a good base coat). I bought a couple cans of hammered black that I think I might use instead of the bedliner now, but still undecided... I'm gong to go drill some holes in the bed while I decide.

img5427p.jpg

sw2

I have used that stuff of many different things!!

It very closely matches the look and texture of a firearms synthetic stock. Works nice for a textured grip on handles and like already mentioned, its all in the prep. I painted the bed of my MJ a couple years ago and its held up pretty well. It has held up better than I expected...

CW

I put the first coat of hammered black (Rust-oleum)and it's drying now... I think it's going to look REALLY nice. I drilled the holes in the bed and sprayed those holes with some Spray to keep them rust "free" as well. Got some new Grade 8 Mounting hardware to replce the old Torx bolts. With any luck, I'll get it mounted tomorrow once the paint dries.

Too bad it won't start again (CPS maybe) and I have the interior gutted again because of leaks.

Sw2

That truck bed and lower panels are screaming for some roll-on or spray-on bedliner! Roll bar turned out well, nice job!

I'll agree with the Bedliner for sure (Line-X or similar is on my "list" for someday), but I'm more of a solid color guy and don't care for the 2 tone look personally (no offense to anyone that is)... Even it if is a butt load of "White"

If my truck wasn't already painted two-tone by the previous owner, I would have sprayed the lower panels higher, like to the bottom of the black, or about 8" from the bottom. You can see in this pic that the mud is splashing higher than where I sprayed the very lower portion of the body panels with textured bedliner spray (slightly higher than the bottom of the door). But at least I've got the lower 3.5" covered:

I used to have a '94 Cherokee that I sprayed the lower panels with bedliner spray, and I think it turned out pretty good. This is what it looked like sprayed about 8.5" up from the bottom. To me, it's still a red Cherokee, and the black lower panels didn't distract from the primary red color of the Cherokee. If a friend of mine hadn't wrecked that Cherokee by driving it into a tree, I'd still have it, but oh well...: