88' Comanche info needed. . .

Pull up your carpet and check for rust before it's too late!! <- already done n repaired !

never spend money on a Dana 35 or a BA-10/5 <- umm . . . i forgot !

Rocker guards are your friends, 3.07 gears are not. <- 3.07's :rotfl2: :rotf: its a truck get some 3.73's 3.91's 4.10's 4.33's 4.56's 4.88's 5.13's 6.38's 6.44's 6.72's 10.11's . . . 12.55's those are truck gears jamminz.gif

"Just because it's a good deal, doesn't mean it's a good idea." :fool: <- that is what i said about the MJ !

Ya, bigger tires do well. I'm still getting used to little truck's they don't normally last me . . .

But Mudder's always look Cool :D

Mike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2.5L 4-speeds came with 3.55 gears. The stock tire size was probably either 195/75-15 or 205/75R15. Those sources you listed are wrong. The XJs and MJs all came with P-metric size tires, right from the first XJ in late 1983, so the letter-series tires are flat out incorrect. And the largest tire the factory ever put on an XJ or MJ was a 225/75-15 -- and that was only with the 4.0L engine. <- Right here SIR which is simply implying that a 225/75 was never used on a 2.5L truck from the factory !

1. you contradicted your self by saying only the 225/75's came on the 4.0L I-6, and using the 225/75 v.s 225/70 comparison.

I didn't contradict myself at all.

First, I didn't say that only the 225/75s came with the 4.0L. I said that was the LARGEST size the factory used.

Second, I used the sizing comparison of the 225/75-15 versus the 225/70-16 to show the difference going from a 75 series to a 70 series makes. I chose that example because both were offered by Jeep on the 2000 Cherokee, and I have one of each parked in my garage right now.

The point was that you have a truck that came from the factory with 75-series tires on it, and you are now running 70-series tires on it. Ergo ==> your tires are smaller than stock, which equates to the same thing as having more gear.

If you want to make your comparison valid, compare the same nominal size between a 70-series and a 75-series. Take either a 205/70-15 vs. a 205/75-15, or a 225/70-15 vs. a 225/75-15.

well in that respect yes it would exactly %5 shorter ! :thumbsup: good thinking . . .

but if the factory sized tires are "205/75R15" and i now have "225/70R15" the new tire is taller by .8" :thumbsup: . . . as already stated, i could also go to a 225/75R16 an be about the same as a 235/75R15 for over all diameter and those are both 75's . . . well anyhow we seem to not agree on this so lets just agree we disagree n move right on along. . .

Mike

Why are you trying to figure out rear end gears by rpm/mph? why not just look at the axle tag or look at the gears and know for sure.

the truck feeling peppy doesnt mean much i had 31s on mine with a 2.5L,4spd, and 3.55 gears and it felt peppy.

currently I'm running 33X12.50s and it still has some get up and go. :cheers:

I just like to know what i got. . .

If you can FIND a tag any place on this truck that is filled in be my guest. . .The door jamb tag isn't even filled in it's all blank no GVWR no Tire size ECT . . .

Mike

There's no need to pull the cover. just jack up one rear tire, put the trans in neutral, and rotate that tire around exactly twice. count the revolutions that the driveshaft makes and you'll have your answer. :thumbsup:

:cheers: Now that sounds way better then pulling the old rusty crumbly D35 apart, It don't as tho the fluid has ever been changed.

As much as i would love to open it up drain it out and filler up with some nice severe service AMSOIL, i'm almost wondering if i should just ignore it as it has been for 189K miles ? . . . I'm told the D35 is Finicky and it's easily pissed off . . .

Mike

I'm told the D35 is Finicky and it's easily pissed off . . .

Based on your posts and questions so far, it seems that you have been told a lot about XJs and MJs, and most of it is totally untrue.

The D35 is not "finicky." Changing the axle lube absolutely won't hurt it, and might help it. It's not a strong axle, but it's plenty strong enough for a stock 2.5L engine in a stock truck. The weakest aspect is the axle tubes, where they go into the center section housing. When run with large tires in extreme off-road situations, the tubes bend. This puts the axle shafts at an angle to the center section, which wears out the carrier bearings.

I'm told the D35 is Finicky and it's easily pissed off . . .

Based on your posts and questions so far, it seems that you have been told a lot about XJs and MJs, and most of it is totally untrue.

The D35 is not "finicky." Changing the axle lube absolutely won't hurt it, and might help it. It's not a strong axle, but it's plenty strong enough for a stock 2.5L engine in a stock truck. The weakest aspect is the axle tubes, where they go into the center section housing. When run with large tires in extreme off-road situations, the tubes bend. This puts the axle shafts at an angle to the center section, which wears out the carrier bearings.

Thank you much for the info this is why i jumped from a general Jeep forum to a Comanche specific forum as all the the info will be on and only relate to the actual truck at hand.

I'll be going to an AMSOIL gear lube as that's the product's i use.

Mike

You guys have way too much time on your hands. Just stop being wierdos. You know who you are. This is a cool forum. Don't dirty it all up.

And.......noone's 2.5 is peppy...get a 4.0 high output :smart:

1. if i was interested in or if i wanted and engine swap i'd simply ask about one !

2. the 4.0L I-6 is an oil guzzler air filter soaking pile of junk, I personally would NEVER EVER waste my time on such a swap.

3. it's a 1988 so a 22 year old cheaply made mass produced Economy truck any engine swap isn't cost effective, you got a 2.5 and want a 4.0 simply crush the 2.5 and buy a 4.0 . . . there cheap ! crush'em and replace'em highly recyclable. . .

I can't say it any simpler, if your still lost have some body explain it to you . . .

Mike

I like my 2.5 4-cylinder plenty, but if I was thinking of swapping in a bigger engine, it wouldn't be the 4.0 six. If I had the $ to throw at it, I'd look at swapping in a small-block V-8, like a 289 or 302, since their distributors are at the front, and there are probably lots of donor vehicles out there with those engines in them. Plus, with my MJ being over 20 years old, it shouldn't be as complicated as a newer truck, with OBD II and all of that other new-fangled sophisticated electronics and all, lol...

But like I said, I like my 2.5 just fine, so there won't be any engine swaps in her future, if at all (unless I win the lottery, lol)...

I like my 2.5 4-cylinder plenty, but if I was thinking of swapping in a bigger engine, it wouldn't be the 4.0 six. If I had the $ to throw at it, I'd look at swapping in a small-block V-8, like a 289 or 302, since their distributors are at the front, and there are probably lots of donor vehicles out there with those engines in them. Plus, with my MJ being over 20 years old, it shouldn't be as complicated as a newer truck, with OBD II and all of that other new-fangled sophisticated electronics and all, lol...

But like I said, I like my 2.5 just fine, so there won't be any engine swaps in her future, if at all (unless I win the lottery, lol)...

I couldn't agree more, if i was going to do a swap i'd go for an AMC V-8 myself ideally the 290 4bbl 225hp n 300tq that's more then plenty of power for me . . .

The 6 just ain't worth it, they have blow by issues they fill the air filters with engine oil, just a nasty mess i fell is not worth the work.

But i'm not interested in an engine swap or i would have simply asked.

Mike

again thats not net HP a 4.0L HO is considerably more powerful then a 290 4bbl

and 4.0Ls do not have blow by issues. its a breather issue in the crankcase ventilation system and easily corrected. my XJ did it and it easily passes a leak down test with flying colors.

read this http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/a ... ?id=257985

besides even if you never fixed it a 4.0L will outlive any AMC V8 you could put in there

again thats not net HP a 4.0L HO is considerably more powerful then a 290 4bbl

and 4.0Ls do not have blow by issues. its a breather issue in the crankcase ventilation system and easily corrected. my XJ did it and it easily passes a leak down test with flying colors.

The rather SIMPLE point your not getting here slick is i am NOT interested !

I don't care if the I-6 had 10,000hp n 750,000tq & the V-8 only 30hp n 50tq ! if i was going to an engine swap i would do a V-8 swap not an I-6

I could easily make the 290 V8 turn numbers the 4.0 HO could never hit simple cut n dried, that's not the point here . . .

I better bold that apparently folks can't read. . .

I SIMPLY DO NOT WANT TO DO AN ENGINE SWAP !

can you see me now ? :rotfl2: :rotf: :rotfl2:

Mike

:rotfl2: :rotf:

read this http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/a ... ?id=257985

besides even if you never fixed it a 4.0L will outlive any AMC V8 you could put in there

:rotfl2: :rotf:

:rotf: :rotfl2: any body swapping a larger engine into a 1980's ECONO truck isn't worried about weather or not if it'll last any great length of time :rotfl2: :rotf:

they simple want to pound the piss out of it till it blows up then crush it and move on, watched it done dozens of times to S-10's n Ranger's. . .

lets try this once more, and if you can't read have your mother help you read the RED letter's:

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN AN ENGINE SWAP

So what's going on here ? can't you read ? or do you enjoy being made fun of ?

Mike

Yes i can see now that you know about as much about engines as my 6 year old :nuts:

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN AN ENGINE SWAP

have your 6 year old read that, i feel sorry for the child poor kid has a parent who can't READ ! :rotf: :rotfl2: or dumb as stump ? :rotf: :rotfl2:

Mike

use the little quote button and quote me saying anything about you doing an engine swap

if YOU can read you will see i was pointing out how little you know about the 4.0L

Good thinking Slick i don't know about the 4.0L only every one i have has an air filter full of engine oil.

I also don't have a 4.0L I-6 in my truck so there I have no need to know about that engine.

If i was interested in the 4.0L i'd simply ask !

show me a place where i have ever said "hey guy's i would like to know about the 4.0L I-6"

simply because i didn't, there for your adding INFO that is not needed nor wanted.

I simply asked about the 1988 Comanche and the 2.5L I-4 engine as that is what i have and what i wanted to know about.

Mike

2. the 4.0L I-6 is an oil guzzler air filter soaking pile of junk, I personally would NEVER EVER waste my time on such a swap.

The 6 just ain't worth it, they have blow by issues they fill the air filters with engine oil, just a nasty mess i fell is not worth the work.

Your right you didnt ask for any 4.0L info but since you were talking out your @$$ about the 4.0L and other people read this stuff and appreciate the info i decided to clear it up.

I walked away from every 4.0L as there air box was full of engine oil, just the same i would have with any other engine i knew nothing about . . .

The only oil found in any air filter's of my truck's are the ones that require it do to having an "Oil bath" air filtration system.

Cool you educated me on the 4.0 leakier and its oil issues still not interested in one . . .

I could give every detail of the GMC big block V-6 engine produced from 1960-1974, in sizes 305 V6 351 V6 379 V6 401 V6 432 V6 478 V6 both offered in Gas and diesel available in every thing from a GMC 1000 - GMC 9500 . . .it was not offered in any Chevrolet of the time period either.

Now dose it mean anything to you ? probably not you have a Jeep . . . More then likely you'd spend 10 post's telling me GM never made a 305 V6 it was V8 . . . from late 74+ i'd say your right . . .In 1974 the 305 became a V8 . . .

Now educate yourself:

http://6066gmcguy.org/

Mike

The topic of this thread is 88' Comanche info needed. . .

Nobody gives a rats butt about GMC big block V-6 engines or engine specs pertaining to them.

AMC-MJ, if you have enough info pertaining to the topic you started, then kill it.

mnkyboy, he's not interested in a 4.0 engine swap. Give it up already.

Thank you.