Reupholstering bench seat

I've pretty much decided that I want to keep my bench seat. But it has a ripped cover and the foam on the drivers side has gone south with no intention of return to say the least. Is there any place where I can get a new cover and foam for the MJ bench seats? I would like to get a cloth cover because my vinyl cover is no fun with no a/c in the summer. If I can't get the parts to do this myself, how much should I expect an upholstery shop to charge to reupholster the seat?

First, it is difficult to find an MJ in a junkyard around here, Ive seen about 8-9 in my last two years of scavenging. Second, all of these benches are still 20 years old, and will be worn in similar ways to mine. I also need to keep the headrests that my current bench has, which was only offered in 90+ models, this makes it harder to find compatible seats, I don't want my head going through the rear window. The best looking and most comfortable option is to restore my original setup to be like new.

Have you tried getting a quote from a local reupholster-er in your area? That would most likely be the best option, as our seat parts are no longer made, or available... It might cost a bit more to have it done locally, but we used to do it at work for the city trucks. The drivers edge would always wear out from the constant getting in and out. He would put new foam in, re-work the springs if necessary, and fix/replace the cover... Felt like a brand new seat.

Rob L.

That's the answer I thought I would come to, and what I was leaning to. I would like to get a fairly heavy duty and easy to clean fabric in the main seat and back portion of the cover, I am not sure if an entirely new cover would have to be fabricated, or if that part can be reworked to a new fabric from the old crappy vinyl. I have sent out a few emails for quotes, but haven't gotten any answers yet, its been over a week. :( $125 is actually less than I thought it would cost, so that might be good news for this project, thanks for the link hornbrod! :D What you had done is exactly what I want to get, except I want a more heavy duty fabric in the center sections of my seat.

The upholstery shops are the best bet for getting what you want . Find a guy thats local and does his own work .

From what I was told , as long as you have the seat frame , they can fab. almost anything .

I'm adding 1" of foam at the sides of the seat for more of a race bucket style seat . :brows:

There are a couple of guys that I work with , but my numbers are at work I'll pm you .

Check w/your local body and paint shops , they usually use a couple of local outsourced type upholstery shops .

Lots of different fabric selections to choose from .Get that custom look . :yes:

Dave M.

I also need to keep the headrests that my current bench has, which was only offered in 90+ models, this makes it harder to find compatible seats, I don't want my head going through the rear window. The best looking and most comfortable option is to restore my original setup to be like new.

I'd love to see a pic of these headrests on your bench seat... :drool:

I echo everyone else, a good upholstery shop is your friend and one that also does boating upholstery is a bonus if you looking for heavy duty material. My local guy did my headliner for $80 matching color and better than original. He said he could redo my bench and restuff the driver side for $150.

If you go this route please post pics of the process if you can! I want to see how the headrests mount to the seat back on the bench. Thanks!

Here a pic of my heavy vinly seat I had reupholstered for approx 150. The seat looks off color because of the light but it matches the dash & door vinyl perfectly. Had a local fellow do it in his home garage. Been a year and a half with no problems.

I had my bench reupholstered at a local shop. It cost about $250 and that didn't include the padding. The guy said that because the padding is molded to fit the frame it is very difficult to redo. I'm not sure I buy that, but my padding was fine so he just reupholstered it and it looks nice.

IMG_1623.JPG

Your best bet for an actual quote is to visit each shop and get a quote on the spot. They may not give quotes by email because they need to look at it to tell exactly what it will take and add in your choice of fabric. I too am thinking more like 250 to have it done, but in this economy, I'm sure they arent doing much work and will be more competetive. Good luck!