Door latching problems

Drivers door won't unlatch- can't unlock. PITA to crawl over seat. :mad:

1. Tried different keys-

2. Sprayed oil in lock-

3. Played with both inside and outside latches.

Only to get door open to pull panel...someday. Any suggestions just short of tearing the door off of hinges? :headpop:

I had that happen to me once on the passenger side. Ended up pulling off the door panel to get at the stuff inside. If I had to do it again, I'd remove the seats and center console first (I have buckets). Maybe you could spray some WD-40 (through the straw) down past the window to the lock mechanism? Or maybe that would just make a huge mess... :hmm:

that happened to me on my old 88. the plastic caps on the rod that connects the handles to the mechanics of the door fell out of their holes. i threaded the ends of the rod, put the plastic caps back on and put lock nuts on the ends of the rod. seemed to work just fine. but you have to be able to get the door panel off to do it.

Alex

• 1 month later...
Have you ever pulled the panel off with the door open? Doing that with the door closed is hard, but possible. Having a bench makes it a lot easier (in that there are fewer bolts to undo and empty the interior).

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. The MJ came home for a short-overnight stay Sunday morning.

After removing bench seat and panel, finally got the door opened. ;)

Found a broken spring assemblies in bottom of door cavity. :cry: The door opens and closes ok. If the door get's locked, it stays locked until I can play with the correct latches. Therefore, I left the panel off for now. jamminz.gif

Hope to finish up around Thanksgiving. Anyone have a door latching assembly (drivers side) they can part with from a junk door?

• 4 weeks later...
I need to get back wth a guy about some doors. If I get them you can have the latches. I'm interested in glass and rubber pieces mostly. Oh, and doors to cut up for the trail :)

Hey there 87manche,

Did you come across the latches? Truck is coming home for 3-4 days and would like to attempt to fix. Let me know- feel free to PM.

Thanks!!!

:cheers:

i have a set on my doner mj, no locks but everything else is there. make me an offer. i'm in indiana also so if you want anything else maybe you can take a drive over here and load up on parts :D .

Ummm.... interesting-. Did you say PARTS? :bowdown:

You are in West central Indiana? Where? I'm over next to Ohio in Richmond. Might be a roadtrip in the near future???? :cheers:

i'm about 30 miles or so from the state line, and about 10 miles northeast of rockville. right on st. rd. 47 by the montgomery-parke county line. there's a golf course right across the road, very easy to find. as far as parts, i have an 86 2wd, 2.5L, auto, that i'm parting out and still have about %80 of it left. everything is up for offers. let me know what you need and i'll see if i have it.

• 2 weeks later...
i have a set on my doner mj, no locks but everything else is there. make me an offer. i'm in indiana also so if you want anything else maybe you can take a drive over here and load up on parts :D .

I'm going to the Badlands next weekend. How far are you from there?