Front coil springs

I know i have been told to cut my fenders rather than go with the ACOS. Ignoring this fact i am going to try it anyway as i am completely overhauling the front anyway when i install the crossover steering. The question i have is how do the upper coil spring perches w/ the bumpstops come off. There are no bolts or nuts on the fenderwells under the hood and no apparant bolts ran up from the bottom where the bumpstops are. The lovely haynes manual has no mention of it. :rant:

On mine, the stock bumpstops have a small lip around the bottom of the metal edge, that's larger than the top of the spring. I have to thread a pipewrench thru the coils and unscrew the stops and take them out before the spring comes out.

FWIW, later model (XJ) bumpstops are pressed in, not screwed.

Jeff

Not sure I'm following you. You mean you want to remove the part that the bumpstop screws into? It's not bolted, it's a stamped piece that's welded in....removable, but you'll need to break out the sawzall :evil:

Whatcha planning under there?

Jeff

I don't have ACOS but they look like they go on like poly coil spacers which is over the upper spring column thingy.

Unload the springs (more space for the pipe wrench)

Pipe wrench off your bump stops

Drop the axel (remove this and that) AND / OR compress springs

Slide the ACOS over the column (maybe remove the stock bushing?)

Reassemble

I'll go get a pic of a bare column here...

so i unscrew the bumpstop then is there a bolt that runs up thru the center holding the coil cup to the fender?

I'm guessing you want to take the whole coil out, and the clip on the bottom of the coil is trapping it. It's a little dingy that is held down by a bolt with something like a 1/2" head. Remove that with the lower control arm and sway bar disconnected and you can pull the coil out.

DSC00077.JPG

Woops someone didn't take the camera off niteshot. To take anything else off you need to start cutting.

I never really understood the ACOS thing... seems like a lot of money for something that's pretty easy once it's been apart. Not that I find taking the front apart fun or anything but I'd rather put the money towards a bumper or a winch and put an extra inch in in anticipation.

I am with ya hoss..I aint buying the ACOS..200bones..I am going to make my own since i am lucky enough to have the tools to do so. I now understand the reasoning for the hollow threaded pipe on the ACOS it is so it can slide over the stock coil cup(not removable). I am going to try to remove the skyjacker coils by compressing them and lifting the body as high as possible. As we say here in the south.."hey watch this" lol. :thumbsup:

i made my own spacers using hard rubber composite tire chokes(spelling?) made 4 2" spacers hollowed them out with a hole saw bit and slide them on slide the springs back on and voila spacers. oh you also have to glue some hockey pucks on the bottom mounts of the coils to make up for the increase in travel to the bump stops. and i raised the the stock mounts for the front shocks up 2" to make up ro the travel upwards.

wish i wasn't so poor :roll:

or had kids ;)

or a wife ;)

or a job ;)

anybody know last nights lotto numbers? :brows:

anybody know last nights lotto numbers? :brows:

Um, you have to buy the ticket before the drawing... :D

I had a pair of used coil spacers that are basically a ~4" cut pipe with a large washer shape tack welded to one end. The end without the washer fits over the curvey part at the top of the column and the hole in the washer fits over the column.

They came off an MJ, but I re-used them on the back of my TJ with a center of transmission mount drop pucks and a stock rubber XJ spacer to keep the spring from being sloppy. I haven't done any hard wheeling but I've flown it over some speed bumps and some other stuff that has me stopped worring about it coming apart. If you put something like this together for the front you'd have the column so it'd be even better.

I did the whole lift from spare XJ/MJ parts and the only thing that cost me was the bolts in the back - $2.77 all told.

You got a pic of that set up jage? :roll:

Nothing on the build but here is how it sits on 32s:

sitting.jpg

The front:

front.jpg

front_zoom.jpg

Actually I forgot to include the metric coupler nuts that make the sway bar extensions...

The rear:

rear_top.jpg

rear_under1.jpg

rear_under2.jpg