more lift...?

yah.... lift questions....

anyway I'm already lifted. 3.5 RE front consisting of fixed lca's, adj. trackbar, sway bar links, and coils. the rear is soa and sits at about 5". I'm currently running 33x10.5r15 bfg km1's with 4.5" of back spacing, under trimmed fenders. (zero rub)

with so much space in the rear (and plans to add another main leaf to fight wrap issues) i want to go with bigger tires, I'm realy in love with the look of the bfg krawlers, (only 2 sizes to chose from? 35" and 37") so whats the best plan for bringing the front up (thinking 1.5") to fit the 35x13.5r15? keeping in mind i don't want to get rid of parts ive already payed for, and i want to keep the wheels centered in the wheel well. i do have a set of rims with 3.5" of backspacing if thats going to be needed.

sorry if I'm adding to the lift question frustration, but i do read most of them myself and have not seen this covered, if so please redirect me to those threads.

thanks go out to all who love to help. -terence

well I'm researching for proly this time next year, and with the wear ive seen over the last year I'm expecting a need to change.(put about 20k on her since putting the tires on 14 months ago) the gears were 3.07 and are now 4.10, should be ok to 35"..

less concerned with the ground clearance than the crazy rake. my gas tank is never more than 3/4 full and that little yellow lite is pissn me off.

don't really want to drop the rear, i like the way the front looks (filled wheel wells) and the truck performs awesome, but the overall look is getting to me... not quite rite

half inch. But XJ shackles are too short for the MJ leafpacks. One guy actually had an XJ shackle flip up on him.

Explorer leafpacks can also be used. In fact, if that truck was mine, I'd go get a set of Explorer leafpacks, cut the eyes off, and put the entire thing under the current MJ main leaf. The truck will sit a bit lower, and you'll get the added benefit of the extra leaf helping to fight springwrap. :thumbsup: Just be aware that the Explorer leafpacks use a slightly larger centering hole and you'll need to bore out the MJ main leaf a tiny amount to use the bigger bolt.

hard to say. all leafpacks are different. I'm guessing he'd lose 2" if he used just the explorer pack, but gain back an inch with leaf thickness and the extra leaf in there. Once you have a pile of leafs sitting there, you can mix and match to get it perfect. :thumbsup:

also, it's been suggested to use a masonry bit to drill out the centering hole in the leafs.

woah, wait a minute. Explorer leaves are a direct replacement? or do you have to use the MJ main leaf? And some explorers only have like two leaves IIRC. which packs are you refering to? read: how many leaves in the explorer packs? I want to SOA my rear and run 3.5" coils, so this might solve my delima. Would explorers be less lift than 2wd MJ springs? (which is what I have) I have built lots of bastard packs before, just had no idea where to start w/ this MJ.

Explorer packs come in both multi-leaf and mono-leaf configurations.

If you try to use the explorer main as your main leaf, the axle will no longer be centered in the wheelwell. the main is a similar length to an MJs, but the centering hole in a bit off.

In theory, the Explorer pack will bit a bit lower than a 2wd MJ pack.

half inch. But XJ shackles are too short for the MJ leafpacks. One guy actually had an XJ shackle flip up on him.

Not to get off topic here but this caught my eye. This is the first time I've seen you say this. I've seen you post the 1/2 inch part and that they limit travel but not that they are too short and will flip. Is this a new discovery? Was he flexing hard? Should I be worried now about the ones I have on my build or should it be ok for a DD that will see little to no off road use? Inquiring minds want to know. :popcorn:

:cheers:

I've been trying to remember where i read it, but nada so far. my memory hasn't been the same since i was sick. but as soon as I find it, I'll let ya know. :thumbsup: It was fairly recently. like within the last month or so.

I've been trying to remember where i read it, but nada so far. my memory hasn't been the same since i was sick. but as soon as I find it, I'll let ya know. :thumbsup: It was fairly recently. like within the last month or so.

Your doing good, my memory hasn't been the same since the early 80's. :chillin:

I thought maybe it was something recent as the XJ shackles seem to be one of the first ideas mentioned when talking about lowering the rear, along with the 2wd pack.

I tried XJ shackles to get a bit less lift out of a SOA swap. When the suspension drooped down the shackle moved so far forward that when weight cam back on it the shackle flipped up in the forward position instead of back. XJ shackles are too short for the amount of distance the rear spring eye on a Comanche moves with suspension travel. Put the stock MJ shackles back on and everything was fine.

That was about half a year ago. Since then the rear springs settled a bit and I decided I wanted a bit more lift in the rear so it didn't squat with my camping gear in the back, so now I'm using the chevy drop shackles again.

4wd leaf pack. i had considered dropping the back since ide have the packs pulled apart anyway, but i still want to change up the tire dimensions.

i could just as easely drop the rear with a loaded toolbox

wile were talking bout leaves... i was thinking about putting the second main on top of the eyed main to fix the wrap problems.. any reason this wouldnt work?

When the gas is applied, the axle rotates opposite of the tire. So the leaf pack gets pushed up in the front, and down in the rear. The front is generally regarded as the place that need the most strength,down so if the extra leaf was on top it wouldn't help at all. Unless you could tie it to the main somehow.

Is there a reason you're hesitant to try my method? It's essentially what I'm running on my 88 right now (though with 2wd MJ packs instead of explorer since that's what I had on hand).

Upgraded your front axle U-joints yet? 35s will find your weak links.

2wd is a hard thing to find in AK, hesitant only because i love the amazing flex of my springs and am worried I'm going to lose it with a second main,not to mention a whole new pack. but i guess I'm just going to have to try a few setups and see what works for me... i hate compromise. ide also thought about replacing the main with something thicker, that would sit were i wanted it. and since there is a spring shop here in town it wouldnt be hard, and only cost bout $150, if they measure/build and i install.

i thought about the second main over main for a minute and figured that they would have no contact with the rest of the pack once the truck was on the ground (the pack would flaten and the second main wouldnt) answering my own questions...shoulda thought it through first.

i do load my bed and I'm sure there is going to come a time ill need to consider an air bag system or some other system for handling the weight, i just don't want to sacrifice my flex.

yes upgraded shafts...my 33s found that weak link.

That's why I suggest the multileaf Explorer packs. They should be easy to find. :thumbsup: Between the MJ leafs that sit too high, and the Exp leafs that sit lower, you should be able to find the sweet spot in the middle.

no flex problems here. :D It'll easily travel bumpstop to full droop.

I tried XJ shackles to get a bit less lift out of a SOA swap. When the suspension drooped down the shackle moved so far forward that when weight cam back on it the shackle flipped up in the forward position instead of back. XJ shackles are too short for the amount of distance the rear spring eye on a Comanche moves with suspension travel. Put the stock MJ shackles back on and everything was fine.

So was this in a moderate to heavy flex situation or going over a speed bump. Details please.

Tested with a fork lift lifting on the rear trailer hitch. Shocks could extend 9 inches, and I do quite often flex it out to the max (about 36 inches between both axles), shackles would flip forward whenever the springs were drooped more than about 6 inches. So speed bumps would not pose a problem, but any moderate flex would have been.