Budget Boost

while were on the subject of budget boost... ive got shackles and coil bushings from a manche i parted, and am thinking about tossn them under my brother in laws 97 xj. should i expect any complications in the install? (rear springs are a bit sagged, hopen to level it out a bit)

while were on the subject of budget boost... ive got shackles and coil bushings from a manche i parted, and am thinking about tossn them under my brother in laws 97 xj. should i expect any complications in the install? (rear springs are a bit sagged, hopen to level it out a bit)

shackles might make it worse. Look into the AALs that hellcreek is making. They fix the sag. :thumbsup:

It looks like they sell the same Daystar kit for both the XJ and MJ. But MJ shackles are longer than XJ, so I wouldn't expect any (certainly not much) lift out of that kit at the rear of an MJ.

I'm with Pete. A full-length AAL is definitely the way to address sagging rear springs.

my leaf springs are still good, and i wasnt looking for too much lift in the rear, more of a leveling kit, motion has shackles that ill give about an inch in the rear so it should give me a little lift in the rear while leveling out the front

could you find a hole-to-hole measurement on the shackles? rule of thumb is for every 2" longer shackle you can expect an 1" of lift... If the chevy style shackles work...there are some nice ones offered by ORD (Offroad Design) and DIY4X. I would like to know on the hole-to-hole measurement for the daystar's b/c I might go the same route for now.

Here are a few links:

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=113

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdREARshackles.htm

It looks like they sell the same Daystar kit for both the XJ and MJ. But MJ shackles are longer than XJ, so I wouldn't expect any (certainly not much) lift out of that kit at the rear of an MJ.

I'm with Pete. A full-length AAL is definitely the way to address sagging rear springs.

I just checked with Daystar on this, and they have discontinued this kit for the MJs and changed the part number from KJ09106 to KJ09105 for just the Cherokees. While the spacers would work to lift the front of our Comanches, Eagle is correct that the shackles would do little, if anything, to lift the rear. It looks like we will have to change our website again. Sorry :oops:

i've been looking for the add a leaves on hc an have only found ones for cherokees, nothing for mj's

Our website has just been updated. We have removed the MJ listing from the shackle kit, added the 3/4" and 1-3/4" front Daystar coil spacer kits for the front and added our MJ add-a-leaves. We have also added a notation that all kits on our website that are designated "RC" are Rough Country kits, so there is no confusion.

Thanks,

Tom

sorry to hijack. :dunce: my query was a bit too far off topic. but...

shackles might make it worse. Look into the AALs that hellcreek is making. They fix the sag. :thumbsup:

Pete please elaborate. if i have an xj with a saggy rear a bb kit that utilizes shackles would make problems worse? pm me if I'm out of line with this post

As I understand it, the longer shackles put more leverage on the leafs (in regards to spring wrap) and can increase sag over time. A shackle should be matched to the leaf packs (as they do from the factory), not used to add height.

As I understand it, the longer shackles put more leverage on the leafs (in regards to spring wrap) and can increase sag over time. A shackle should be matched to the leaf packs (as they do from the factory), not used to add height.

Pete is correct. Trying to gain lift using longer shackles is an EXCELLENT way to kill your spring pack. It looks cheap in the short term, but it becomes more expensive very quickly when you have to replace or rebuild the whole spring pack because you tried to save a few bucks.